Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Xc60 3.2 Awd Vs T6 Awd, choice help!
lbrians
post Apr 10 2012, 07:31 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 106,012
Drives: 2008 chevy tahoe

Hello everyone - Newbie here. I am days away from signing a contract for a 2013 xc60 (my first volvo!!), but I'm still really hung up on whether or not to get a T6 or a 3.2. Is the T6 really worth the extra $2,000? We are a military couple living in Germany at the moment and we have to drive 40 minutes by autobahn to work every day. I'd love something zippy for the autobahn, but we won't be living in germany forever and with the price of gas going the way it is, mpg is very important. Also, we have a Chevy Tahoe V8 back in the states, so will that make up for the lack of the high powered engine in the XC60?

Does anyone have a 3.2 that regrets it? We can't test drive a T6 vs a 3.2, so I can't compare.

we're looking at either a T6 or 3.2 with the premium package, technology package, climate package, BLIS, towbar, xenon headlamps. That's about it. Any thoughts, experiences, gripes, praises, etc would be great. Thanks in Advance!
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
Tchgrif
post Apr 10 2012, 08:03 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 95,413
Drives: 2012xc60r-design

I have the t6 turbo in my 12 r design, I can tell you my business partner has a v8 Tahoe that I drive on occasion. The truck feels completely anemic compared to my Volvo. I have never driven the 3.2. You can obviously haul a lot more in the Chevy than the Volvo but if power is your goal and you don't mind smaller the Volvo trumps the Chevy by a substantial margin.

QuoteReply
Arith
post Apr 13 2012, 09:59 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 91,365
Drives: Volvo XC60 T6

When I was shopping around, I test drove the XC60 T5, 3.2, and T6. The T5 was nice and responsive, while the T6 was fantastic in terms of acceleration and overtaking ability. With the T6 I find I could either hold my own, keep up, or beat out other cars on the road which weren't aware of the T6's capabilities. If you're after zip, especially when you need power to back you up on the Autobahn, T6 definitely.

As for the 3.2, it felt rather sluggish. Granted the numbers look good, but on the road I turbo from the T5 and T6 just felt more lively. For me, the 3.2 falls into the 'why bother' category. I know it falls between the T5 and T6, but if Volvo were to remove the 3.2 from the line up, I don't think the gap would really be missed.

QuoteReply
tekbis
post Apr 13 2012, 04:47 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 69,225
Drives: 2010 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD

QUOTE (lbrians @ Apr 10 2012, 07:31 AM)
Hello everyone - Newbie here. I am days away from signing a contract for a 2013 xc60 (my first volvo!!), but I'm still really hung up on whether or not to get a T6 or a 3.2. Is the T6 really worth the extra $2,000? We are a military couple living in Germany at the moment and we have to drive 40 minutes by autobahn to work every day. I'd love something zippy for the autobahn, but we won't be living in germany forever and with the price of gas going the way it is, mpg is very important. Also, we have a Chevy Tahoe V8 back in the states, so will that make up for the lack of the high powered engine in the XC60?

Does anyone have a 3.2 that regrets it? We can't test drive a T6 vs a 3.2, so I can't compare.

we're looking at either a T6 or 3.2 with the premium package, technology package, climate package, BLIS, towbar, xenon headlamps. That's about it. Any thoughts, experiences, gripes, praises, etc would be great. Thanks in Advance!

I have a 2010 XC60 T6 version and I have test driven both engines (3.2 & T6) prior to deciding which model to choose from. It really depends on what you need and to me I was ok with the 3.2 vs the T6 at the time. I in fact ordered the 3.2 initially then after a week I decided to change it to the T6. I found the 3.2 to be a bit sluggish after driving the T6 and if you do a lot of highway driving and need the zip then you can't go wrong with the T6. For the very tiny difference in MPG of the 3.2 vs the T6 (in the real world) but with the benefit in HP you're going to get on the T6 (now 300hp vs 240hp on 3.2) then the T6 is worth it.

As they say - it is better to go for the more powerful engine than the lesser one since if the need arises or situation requires more power then you have it and if you don't need it then it is just available anytime whereas if you go with the lesser powerful engine and the need arises for zipping then you might wonder why you didn't go for the more powerful one when the cost difference and MPG diff is not that significant.

You won't be disappointed with the T6...more responsive, more powerful and a quieter engine than 3.2

QuoteReply
xc60atlanta
post Dec 15 2012, 12:49 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 113,537
Drives: 2010 XC60 T6 AWD

I drove both and decided on the T6 AWD but the gas mileage SUCKS! I learned to be light on the pedal for regular driving and only use the turbo when I needed.

QuoteReply
asthenis
post Jan 13 2013, 05:21 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 61,483
Drives: Volvo V50 T5 AWD (2005)

QUOTE (xc60atlanta @ Dec 15 2012, 12:49 PM)
I drove both and decided on the T6 AWD but the gas mileage SUCKS! I learned to be light on the pedal for regular driving and only use the turbo when I needed.

hello!

indeed, I own a XC60 T6 2010, the mileage is terrible... I also try to be light on the pedal but really, looks like I can do only 260 with a full tank in city (stop and go often...).

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest Volvo XC60 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Awd Rain Squealing Problem On Non-rs
0 a14205 206 14th January 2014 - 03:51 PM
Last post by: a14205
No New Posts Xc60 - 2010 - Water Leaks
Water leaks in 2010 XC60
6 Wet feet 1,140 22nd December 2013 - 12:49 PM
Last post by: Thanosgr
No New Posts Xc60 44k T6 With Roof Leak
New purchase questions
3 c_hill 1,843 10th November 2013 - 07:33 PM
Last post by: Wet feet
No New Posts Xc60 2009-2014
Safety and other changes
0 Downunder100 1,365 17th July 2013 - 05:34 PM
Last post by: Downunder100
No New Posts Xc60 - 2nd Fog Tail Light
how do I get the 2nd light working?
9 marcvegas 3,905 12th July 2013 - 05:46 AM
Last post by: Peelot

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 23rd July 2014 - 03:07 PM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement