Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Vaccum Hose Diagram, 91 240 B230F
Falcus
post Mar 24 2012, 12:29 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 93,834
Drives: Volvo 91 240

Anyone have one of these? A vaccum hose diagram, or diagrams for the fuel injection system? Took on a half finished job and the guy left disconnected bits hanging everywhere.... Most of it seems self explanatory, but its always worrying when you find multiple hoses that fit in different places just sitting in the trunk..... ~85% sure all the parts are there at least, but any help/advice would be appreciated. As my father put it "Oh boy, thats a real basket case" upon opening the Hood.....

Thanks!
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
danielm85948
post Mar 24 2012, 04:30 AM
Post #2

Senior Veteran

Member No.: 74,889
Drives: volvo 940 se turbo 1991

QUOTE (Falcus @ Mar 24 2012, 12:29 AM)
Anyone have one of these? A vaccum hose diagram, or diagrams for the fuel injection system? Took on a half finished job and the guy left disconnected bits hanging everywhere.... Most of it seems self explanatory, but its always worrying when you find multiple hoses that fit in different places just sitting in the trunk..... ~85% sure all the parts are there at least, but any help/advice would be appreciated. As my father put it "Oh boy, thats a real basket case" upon opening the Hood.....

Thanks!

just google vacuum hose diagram on a volvo 240 and you will find this,it is on the Mathews site will not let me down load it.

QuoteReply
Falcus
post Mar 29 2012, 10:31 PM
Post #3

Whats the URL for Mathews site? I did google it and spent hours finding very little ^^;. Im probably just missing it, but not sure where Im missing it ^^;. Sorry for the inconvenience.

As an Update:
Today (3/29/12) Dad and I went down and put *most* of the engine back together. VERY long story.

We DID find a very basic Vaccum Diagram stuck inside the engine compartment, but its not drawn very well. It shows the hose routing, but there are no clear pictures or way of identifying key parts of the PCV system. And, we have 2 remaining Issues before we crank her up.

1: There was a Solid Metal pipe feeding into the center of the injection Manifold, we Believe this is part of the PCV system (The end beneath the Intake Manifold was unsecured, and in an effort to understand what it was we removed it). When we removed it we discovered this pipe is severely clogged near the top. It had a gasket as well where it mounted on the Manifold which will now have to be replaced and were not sure what thing is called to go looking for a replacement.... I have brought it home with me to clean and I can take picture of it if needed to help Identify it. It had an electrical sensor (Which had a metal fin sticking into the middle of the pipe) attached near the bottom of it (As it orients to the Injection Manifold)

2: The Majority of the Injection Hoses seem to be there and intact. We managed to fit most everything back together, *Except*, what appear to be bits of the Flame Trap apparatus. Specifically the odd hose that bends twice at 90 Degrees, and the thing we think it attaches to. The *other* hose that attaches to that *thing* attaches to the Air Intake Hose between the Air Mass Sensor and Injection Manifold. And just so you know what Im talking about, the *funny hose* and the *thing it attaches to* are identical to these:
http://www.ipdusa.com/products/5317/104083-flame-trap-kit . They're currently resting on top of the injection manifold, but after doing some reading Im begining to think they need to be beneath the Manifold? If so, where on earth does the other end of that Funny Bent hose plug into? Some sort of diagram of these pieces specifically and where they attach, and what they attach to, prefferably also including where they're supposed to sit in relation to the rest of the engine would absolutely ideal.

EDIT: Think Ive solved the Flame Trap hosing issues. Found a decent diagram at the site I linked in the above Paragraph. Still unsure about the Solid Metal Pipe that was clogged, or the below mentioned broken(?) hose.

2a: Finally, we seem to have an extraneous hose that we *Believe* is part of this same PCV/Flame Trap system, but have no idea where it attaches. its a ~1/8 inch Diameter hose, and it had a lock nut on it, but the other end of that lock nut (Both pieces of the nut are present even though the hose is lose), appears to have been broken off of something. We're hoping something like a Metal T pipe or something, though the worry is that it was attached to something more substantial. The other end of it appears to connect to the Back side (As oriented to the engine, the side closest to the firewall) a ~1/2 inch plastic piece (I think its plastic, its not rubber or metal), thats situatated paralell to the Intake Manifold pipes (The 4 metal pipes that bolt to the head themselves) and underneath, but seems pretty solidly attached to the bottom of the Manifold itself beneath where the Air Intake hose attaches. The hose is currenty sprouting from between the 3rd & 4th Cylinder Intake Ports.

Any help would be much appreciated!
Falcus

This post has been edited by Falcus: Mar 29 2012, 11:23 PM

QuoteReply
danielm85948
post Mar 30 2012, 10:42 AM
Post #4

Senior Veteran

QUOTE (Falcus @ Mar 29 2012, 10:31 PM)
Whats the URL for Mathews site? I did google it and spent hours finding very little ^^;. Im probably just missing it, but not sure where Im missing it ^^;. Sorry for the inconvenience.

As an Update:
Today (3/29/12) Dad and I went down and put *most* of the engine back together. VERY long story.

We DID find a very basic Vaccum Diagram stuck inside the engine compartment, but its not drawn very well. It shows the hose routing, but there are no clear pictures or way of identifying key parts of the PCV system. And, we have 2 remaining Issues before we crank her up.

1: There was a Solid Metal pipe feeding into the center of the injection Manifold, we Believe this is part of the PCV system (The end beneath the Intake Manifold was unsecured, and in an effort to understand what it was we removed it). When we removed it we discovered this pipe is severely clogged near the top. It had a gasket as well where it mounted on the Manifold which will now have to be replaced and were not sure what thing is called to go looking for a replacement.... I have brought it home with me to clean and I can take picture of it if needed to help Identify it. It had an electrical sensor (Which had a metal fin sticking into the middle of the pipe) attached near the bottom of it (As it orients to the Injection Manifold)

2: The Majority of the Injection Hoses seem to be there and intact. We managed to fit most everything back together, *Except*, what appear to be bits of the Flame Trap apparatus. Specifically the odd hose that bends twice at 90 Degrees, and the thing we think it attaches to. The *other* hose that attaches to that *thing* attaches to the Air Intake Hose between the Air Mass Sensor and Injection Manifold. And just so you know what Im talking about, the *funny hose* and the *thing it attaches to* are identical to these:
http://www.ipdusa.com/products/5317/104083-flame-trap-kit . They're currently resting on top of the injection manifold, but after doing some reading Im begining to think they need to be beneath the Manifold? If so, where on earth does the other end of that Funny Bent hose plug into? Some sort of diagram of these pieces specifically and where they attach, and what they attach to, prefferably also including where they're supposed to sit in relation to the rest of the engine would absolutely ideal.

EDIT: Think Ive solved the Flame Trap hosing issues. Found a decent diagram at the site I linked in the above Paragraph. Still unsure about the Solid Metal Pipe that was clogged, or the below mentioned broken(?) hose.

2a: Finally, we seem to have an extraneous hose that we *Believe* is part of this same PCV/Flame Trap system, but have no idea where it attaches. its a ~1/8 inch Diameter hose, and it had a lock nut on it, but the other end of that lock nut (Both pieces of the nut are present even though the hose is lose), appears to have been broken off of something. We're hoping something like a Metal T pipe or something, though the worry is that it was attached to something more substantial. The other end of it appears to connect to the Back side (As oriented to the engine, the side closest to the firewall) a ~1/2 inch plastic piece (I think its plastic, its not rubber or metal), thats situatated paralell to the Intake Manifold pipes (The 4 metal pipes that bolt to the head themselves) and underneath, but seems pretty solidly attached to the bottom of the Manifold itself beneath where the Air Intake hose attaches. The hose is currenty sprouting from between the 3rd & 4th Cylinder Intake Ports.

Any help would be much appreciated!
Falcus

just google vacuum hose diagram on the volvo 240 then scroll down , to the Mathews site, it will not let me send it.

QuoteReply
robert240
post Mar 30 2012, 11:40 AM
Post #5

Veteran

Member No.: 30,857
Drives: 86 240

maybe post a picture of the hose in question.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  CrankcaseBreatherSystem.gif ( 6.68K ) Number of downloads: 18
Attached File  vac.JPG ( 36.36K ) Number of downloads: 21

QuoteReply
Falcus
post Mar 31 2012, 07:28 AM
Post #6

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6941

Did you mean the site listed above Dantheman? Thats the only Vaccum hose Diagram I could find on his site and he said it was from a "98 T-5", but that it should be similar to most Turbo 850s? /shrug. I know my car ain't got a turbo, and though I can see similarities to the design of the appliances and the way they're routed with the hoses on my 240, the injection assembly they're attached to is VASTLY different. Further I don't have a 5 cylinder in-line ^^;.

In addendum to the first question I asked in my last post, IPD took a guess over the phone that its probably an EGR pipe, and I believe them to be correct. I have sent photos of it to them and am awaiting confirmation. I guess Id like to ask at this point, was it common for 240s to have Emissions related hardware/appliances in addition to the PCV system on their later models? Specifically an EGR system? Or is it possibly/likely my vehicle was built to California Emissions Specs or some such silliness?

Pictures of what I now believe to be an EGR pipe:
Attached File  3_30_12_Clear_Out_001.jpg ( 1016.57K ) Number of downloads: 12

Attached File  3_30_12_Clear_Out_002.jpg ( 1.25MB ) Number of downloads: 4

Attached File  3_30_12_Clear_Out_003.jpg ( 431.08K ) Number of downloads: 3

Attached File  3_30_12_Clear_Out_004.jpg ( 1.05MB ) Number of downloads: 4

The first two are of the sides of it, and the last two are of the Surface that mates to top part of the center of the Injection Manifold between the Injection pipes leading to cylinders 2 & 3.
http://www.volvo-forums.com/index.php?show...mp;#entry116685
If you look at the first picture in the posted Thread above, the top of my pipe would fit up against the Flat Surface (Noticably missing a Hole in the pic in the other thread) next to the bolt beneath the Hose jutting out of the very Top of the Manifold.

Finally, for the broken Hose, I do not have pictures at the moment, but I plan to get some in the near future.

Thanks for all your Help,
Falcus

QuoteReply
robert240
post Apr 2 2012, 10:18 AM
Post #7

Veteran

http://www.fcpgroton.com/product-exec/prod.../category_id/18

Does it connect to this?

QuoteReply
Falcus
post Apr 3 2012, 10:02 AM
Post #8

Dear god I hope not with a $175 price tag. But the page says its for Manual Transmission only? Whats that about? Manual = Stick Shift/Clutch right?, Transmission = Automatic right? If its for stick shift, mine is an automatic with an AW70.

Still, in all honesty, what exactly is your question? Does the Broken hose connect to that? Or does the EGR pipe I posted pictures of attach to that?

To answer one at a time but cover both:
The EGR pipe I took pictures of connects directly to the Injection Manifold as I described before at the top end (Flat end in the picture), and the bottom end connects to the EGR valve system below the Injection Manifold (End with the nut on it). I dont actually recognize the part you linked as existing anywhere that Ive seen on my car (Though Ill admit it *might* if its buried beneath my Injection manifold, most of my experience with that area has been with my fingers only).

The Broken Hose has a (Broken) Lock Nut on the End of it, and the part you listed doesn't appear to have anywhere on it that a Lock Nut can attach? The Flat Mounting surface (Of the part you linked) looks remarkably similar to the Top End of the EGR Pipe I added pictures of, so Im guessing it would mount the same place my EGR pipe does? I can't tell, they don't have a Diagram added (Really makes me appreciate IPD, lol). After that it has what looks like a Soft hose mount on the top, a Hard Pipe Fitting on the bottom, and what Im guessing is a Sensor Fitting on the side, on the bottom of it, below the Cylinder? Regardless, Im lost as to where my broken hose w/ Lock nut would fit ^^;. I appreciate the link though! and any help tracking this down will be appreciated ^^;.

Update:
Yesterday I bought a Bently Manual, should be here tomorrow, so we'll see if that sheds any light. This Thur.s (PST) Im going down again to work on the beastie, Ill *Try* to remember to take pictures regardless. The current thinking is that its a Vaccum Control hose, presumably for the EGR valve. We're also considering just Plugging it for the time being with the broken Lock nut so we can move the car back to my place (It will have to be driven under its own power for this move regardless). The EGR system has been buggered up for years, so whatever else is going on with this car, it doesn't seem to *require* it to run. We'll see though. The guy who owns the house where its currently sitting is being really cool about it, but my car never should have been in his town to begin with, and its been there a month already. Biggest thing Ill miss when I move it is the carport hes letting us use, lol, (Seattle/Tacoma, rains alot ^^; ).

Thanks again for all the help you guys are giving!
Falcus

QuoteReply
robert240
post Apr 3 2012, 10:49 AM
Post #9

Veteran

I really don't have any experience with EGR since mine is a non-CA car. And I would be really tempted to plug the intake connection except you might fail a visual emissions inspection.

QuoteReply
danielm85948
post Apr 3 2012, 02:40 PM
Post #10

Senior Veteran

QUOTE (Falcus @ Apr 3 2012, 10:02 AM)
Dear god I hope not with a $175 price tag. But the page says its for Manual Transmission only? Whats that about? Manual = Stick Shift/Clutch right?, Transmission = Automatic right? If its for stick shift, mine is an automatic with an AW70.

Still, in all honesty, what exactly is your question? Does the Broken hose connect to that? Or does the EGR pipe I posted pictures of attach to that?

To answer one at a time but cover both:
The EGR pipe I took pictures of connects directly to the Injection Manifold as I described before at the top end (Flat end in the picture), and the bottom end connects to the EGR valve system below the Injection Manifold (End with the nut on it). I dont actually recognize the part you linked as existing anywhere that Ive seen on my car (Though Ill admit it *might* if its buried beneath my Injection manifold, most of my experience with that area has been with my fingers only).

The Broken Hose has a (Broken) Lock Nut on the End of it, and the part you listed doesn't appear to have anywhere on it that a Lock Nut can attach? The Flat Mounting surface (Of the part you linked) looks remarkably similar to the Top End of the EGR Pipe I added pictures of, so Im guessing it would mount the same place my EGR pipe does? I can't tell, they don't have a Diagram added (Really makes me appreciate IPD, lol). After that it has what looks like a Soft hose mount on the top, a Hard Pipe Fitting on the bottom, and what Im guessing is a Sensor Fitting on the side, on the bottom of it, below the Cylinder? Regardless, Im lost as to where my broken hose w/ Lock nut would fit ^^;. I appreciate the link though! and any help tracking this down will be appreciated ^^;.

Update:
Yesterday I bought a Bently Manual, should be here tomorrow, so we'll see if that sheds any light. This Thur.s (PST) Im going down again to work on the beastie, Ill *Try* to remember to take pictures regardless. The current thinking is that its a Vaccum Control hose, presumably for the EGR valve. We're also considering just Plugging it for the time being with the broken Lock nut so we can move the car back to my place (It will have to be driven under its own power for this move regardless). The EGR system has been buggered up for years, so whatever else is going on with this car, it doesn't seem to *require* it to run. We'll see though. The guy who owns the house where its currently sitting is being really cool about it, but my car never should have been in his town to begin with, and its been there a month already. Biggest thing Ill miss when I move it is the carport hes letting us use, lol, (Seattle/Tacoma, rains alot ^^; ).

Thanks again for all the help you guys are giving!
Falcus

it looks like a down pipe which then connects to the agr valve that should be under the exhaust manifold.the large nut if i can remember long to ago ,goes to the exhaust manifold under it.

This post has been edited by danielm85948: Apr 3 2012, 02:50 PM

QuoteReply
Falcus
post Apr 4 2012, 02:23 PM
Post #11

Be glad Robert, lol, be glad. Im not honestly complaining that my car has the system though. In theory it *should* improve my fuel economy when its working right *if* my understanding of it is correct. Its just too bad that the broken hose was broken in the first place...... And if it truly becomes annoying, my car is ~21Years old, so only 9 more before I can go for Collector's vehicle status in Washington state and never have to worry about Emissions again! lol. It is my intention to keep this car that long regardless, barring unforseen circumstances.

Had to contact a Volvo Dealership for a new Gasket for the pipe I posted pictures of, and its here today, so need to go pick that up. Cost me ~$9.00, lol.

Dantheman:
You're partly right. The Exhaust Manifold has an EGR "Feed"(?) pipe attached to the top of it, about 4-5Inches down behind the 4th Cylinder Port, and that runs behind the Engine block and underneath the Injection Manifold. The entire EGR Valve/hose/pipe/system, bar the "Feed"(?) pipe is underneath the Injection manifold, kind of hanging between the Block (Or at least the Oil Seperator box) and the Air Intake Hose that connects the Air Mass Sensor with the Injection Manifold. There are several interconnected pipes and hoses (I think, Ill have to confirm my understanding of the setup tomorrow, and ideally with the bently manual if it covers this), that run back and forth between the Injection Manifold and what basically amounts to the EGR Valve Control Assembly. The pipe Ive posted pics of runs between this valve assembly and the top of the Injection Manifold, *presumably* to inject hot Exhaust Gas into the injection to lower the amount of Oxygen (Which would also explain the heavy duty Graphite Gasket on it, but /shrug). We *Think* the broken hose *might* be a Vaccum Valve Control hose for the EGR system (To open and close it as necessary while the car is running, but again /shrug. Heres looking for that Bently Manual kid, lol).

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest Volvo 240, 242, 244 & 245 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Hose Problem?
the hose to some things are shrunk on...
1 240dlmike 337 20th December 2011 - 11:57 AM
Last post by: robert240
No New Posts Vaccum Lines From 93 To 97
2 850rturbo 365 27th October 2011 - 06:50 PM
Last post by: SeaMike
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsHose Nipple With Nothing Attatched Under The Exaust Manifold.
Is there supposed to be something attatched to this?
3 Zeke Shadfurman 566 28th August 2010 - 04:51 AM
Last post by: usahelp
No New Posts Diagram For Heater Core Box
0 Hunterone 421 8th June 2010 - 10:23 AM
Last post by: Hunterone
No New Posts Hose Size
Heater Hose Size
1 draco 575 13th March 2008 - 06:21 PM
Last post by: draco

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 1st October 2014 - 11:16 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement