Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> 97 960 Coolant Temperature Sensor...
Ontogeny
post Jan 3 2012, 03:27 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 101,268
Drives: volvo 97 960

The temperature indicator needle in my 97 960 goes to the dead middle between hot and cold when ever the ignition is turned on, be the engine hot or cold. I also have a check engine light coming on. I am assuming that the coolant temperature sensor is bad or has a loose connection, etc. Can I get its exact location instructions from someone please so if I need to order a replacement sensor, I will know where to install it? Obviously I am having trouble locating it. I assume on the engine block somewhere? Thanks in advance.
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
Ontogeny
post Jan 3 2012, 03:36 PM
Post #2

Oh, I forgot to mention that the electric radiator fan now runs for about 7 minutes after I turn the engine off. I am guessing because it thinks that the engine is over heated and I wonder if this is also running my battery down. Thanks again all....

QuoteReply
SeaMike
post Jan 3 2012, 05:48 PM
Post #3

Senior Veteran
Group Icon

Group: Super Mod
Member No.: 33,827
Drives: 1995 Volvo 850 GLE (Canada Car), Automatic

QUOTE (Ontogeny @ Jan 3 2012, 02:27 PM)
The temperature indicator needle in my 97 960 goes to the dead middle between hot and cold when ever the ignition is turned on, be the engine hot or cold. I also have a check engine light coming on. I am assuming that the coolant temperature sensor is bad or has a loose connection, etc. Can I get its exact location instructions from someone please so if I need to order a replacement sensor, I will know where to install it? Obviously I am having trouble locating it. I assume on the engine block somewhere? Thanks in advance.

Welcome
http://www.fcpgroton.com/category-exec/cat...1142/by_year/47

Also, try and get the codes pulled.

It should be under the thermostat (near the engine side of the upper radiator hose)

No, the fan should run, if your battery is running down in that short bit. Have Auto Zone check your battery and alternator for any issue.

It just could be the Temp Sending Unit is sending the wrong signal to the fan... Change the Temp Sending Unit, then see what happens

Mike

QuoteReply
Ontogeny
post Jan 4 2012, 11:20 AM
Post #4

It just could be the Temp Sending Unit is sending the wrong signal to the fan... Change the Temp Sending Unit, then see what happens

Mike

Thanks this is what I am thinking. I went to AutoZone Sunday as my old battery bit the dust. Thanks

QuoteReply
odali
post Jan 8 2012, 07:56 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 101,541
Drives: 1995 volvo 960

Hello everyone -- New here. This is my first post.

I'm actually doing this job right now --

Will take pictures and post procedure once I get the part.

Should be here middle of the week, so I should be able to get this done by the following weekend.

Couple hints --

Diagnostic System:

Open the hood, look over to your right wheelwell (the one that does not have the battery in front of it) --

You should see two black boxes attached to wires -- one of them is the diagnostic system. It's the one that has a 3ish inch wire coming out of the side with a rounded one plug.
Open the top of that black box, and you will see 6 slots that the plug will fit in, a button, and an LED light (Also, Mine has an A on it, not sure if they all do)....

Plug this rounded plug that's attached to it into slot 2, go and turn your electricity on (don't turn the motor on, just turn the key enough to put on the electric). Come back out and press the button on the diagnostic system once.

This blinks out an error code. It's read as a series of three digets. Each digit is the series of blinks seperated by a 3 second interval. For example:

flash [3 seconds] flash flash [3 seconds] flash flash flash

would be 1-2-3.

this 1-2-3 error code is your coolant temperature sensor.

You can repeat this process to get out all the error codes, and once it starts repeating itself, all of them are out.

There's a manual with these error codes out there. here's one:

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/faq/EngineOBDCodes.html

Finding the coolant temp sensor:

This is actually under the hose that goes from the radiator to the engine. The hose kind of loops around the power steering module.

You will probably have to take off the metal connector which connects the hose to the engine to get to the temp sensor (mine has 2 torx / star bolts) because even after taking the hose off, it's almost impossible to get to, but if you take off the metal piece, it will be very easy to get to.

Now, the temp sensor is the little bolt looking thing with a wire going into it just below. On my car it looks brass.

You may also want to check to see if the temp gauge (the little springy thing with a gasket around it in the path of the tube you can see once you take the metal piece off) is good -- this piece basically opens up when the engine gets too hot to let in coolant. An easy test is to drop it in some boiling water and see if it opens up. If it does, it's good.

In any event, that's as far as I got today. I ordered the piece today, but it hasn't come yet. I can post picture if needed when it comes.

Hope this helps!

Good Luck!!

QuoteReply
SeaMike
post Jan 8 2012, 11:35 PM
Post #6

Senior Veteran
Group Icon

Group: Super Mod
Member No.: 33,827
Drives: 1995 Volvo 850 GLE (Canada Car), Automatic

QUOTE (odali @ Jan 8 2012, 06:56 PM)
Hello everyone -- New here. This is my first post.

I'm actually doing this job right now --

Will take pictures and post procedure once I get the part.

Should be here middle of the week, so I should be able to get this done by the following weekend.

Couple hints --

Diagnostic System:

Open the hood, look over to your right wheelwell (the one that does not have the battery in front of it) --

You should see two black boxes attached to wires -- one of them is the diagnostic system. It's the one that has a 3ish inch wire coming out of the side with a rounded one plug.
Open the top of that black box, and you will see 6 slots that the plug will fit in, a button, and an LED light (Also, Mine has an A on it, not sure if they all do)....

Plug this rounded plug that's attached to it into slot 2, go and turn your electricity on (don't turn the motor on, just turn the key enough to put on the electric). Come back out and press the button on the diagnostic system once.

This blinks out an error code. It's read as a series of three digets. Each digit is the series of blinks seperated by a 3 second interval. For example:

flash [3 seconds] flash flash [3 seconds] flash flash flash

would be 1-2-3.

this 1-2-3 error code is your coolant temperature sensor.

You can repeat this process to get out all the error codes, and once it starts repeating itself, all of them are out.

There's a manual with these error codes out there. here's one:

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/faq/EngineOBDCodes.html

Finding the coolant temp sensor:

This is actually under the hose that goes from the radiator to the engine. The hose kind of loops around the power steering module.

You will probably have to take off the metal connector which connects the hose to the engine to get to the temp sensor (mine has 2 torx / star bolts) because even after taking the hose off, it's almost impossible to get to, but if you take off the metal piece, it will be very easy to get to.

Now, the temp sensor is the little bolt looking thing with a wire going into it just below. On my car it looks brass.

You may also want to check to see if the temp gauge (the little springy thing with a gasket around it in the path of the tube you can see once you take the metal piece off) is good -- this piece basically opens up when the engine gets too hot to let in coolant. An easy test is to drop it in some boiling water and see if it opens up. If it does, it's good.

In any event, that's as far as I got today. I ordered the piece today, but it hasn't come yet. I can post picture if needed when it comes.

Hope this helps!

Good Luck!!

Let us know if we can help, and Welcome to the forum.

QuoteReply
Ontogeny
post Jan 10 2012, 11:54 AM
Post #7

QUOTE (SeaMike @ Jan 8 2012, 10:35 PM)
Let us know if we can help, and Welcome to the forum.

Thanks all and thanks for the information about the location of the sensor and the codes. I can now order same and proceed to fix this problem. Thanks again all!

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest Volvo 940 & 960 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts 960 Won't Crank -- Sometimes
What is making my car not start, sometimes?
0 Seabiscute 233 20th May 2014 - 11:26 AM
Last post by: Seabiscute
No New Posts Coolant Light On-it's An Error
1 LIL BUG 316 18th May 2014 - 04:30 PM
Last post by: danielm85948
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsCoolant Temp Sensor Resistance
8 anode36 1,256 24th August 2013 - 01:30 PM
Last post by: anode36
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsCoolant Or Fuel In Oil.
11 roninx17 2,303 10th August 2013 - 11:28 AM
Last post by: Kiss4aFrog
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsCoolant Leak
Coolant Leak at radiator
4 makivelli 1,826 6th August 2013 - 08:44 PM
Last post by: difflock54

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 31st October 2014 - 11:19 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement