Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Fuel Issue? Possible Tps?
damnyak
post Dec 4 2011, 07:18 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 96,281
Drives: 1988 volvo 240 DL

Hello everyone, I have been chasing a issue with my 88 244. I seems at random times (speed, rpm, and temp, different all the time), the car will bog, tach does not drop, just slowing coasts as the throttle does nothing. like its out of gas. I am a super amateur mech. But super low on funds (as we all are) so i have changing things by myself. learnng more about my car everyday.

Things I have changed

-Pre pump was not working, New put in, works now!
-New sending unit, wired backwards. (Art from Cleanflametrap help me huge)
-New MAF
-New Plugs, cap, rotor.
-New Filter and Man pump.
-Cleaned throttle body.
-Checked for vacuum leaks
-Tested Idle valve, all correct.

My question is After I got the pump in (runs great quiet as a lamb) However the idle is still rough, and you could here it wanted to bog a couple times, So i tried something, I pulled the Throttle position switch plug out of the TPS, and it picked back up, sounded healthy. No immediate hesitation. Sounds 10 x better? I am wondering if anyone have any experience with the TPS. Can I drive around with the TPS unplugged, to test drive it. will it damage the car. If I put a new one in will it, act the same, or is this the sign of a bad TPS? I hope I make sense. Like the TPS is working properly and that's how my car sounds, and when I unplug it, its false and running poorly, even though it sounds better? I hope I make sense. And also reading the bentleys, It kind of confusing the adjustment of the TPS, as there is no photos etc. and i am not sure of the "adjustment screw" etc. Any help would be appreciated, Pics, Etc?

Thanks

Chris
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
sowsley
post Dec 4 2011, 10:46 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 97,163
Drives: 1987 Volvo 240 DL

Chris,

I'm going through the same thing as you, but I think I know what the problem is. Cleaning the throttle body probably caused the TPS to be out of adjustment, so the computer doesn't know when the car should be idling. I had the chance to play with a couple of '87 / '88 240's today at the junkyard, and was checking to see if I could hear a click and at what point in the travel it occurred. You should hear a faint click just after you start to open the throttle. With the engine off, rotate the butterfly valve with the large wheel the throttle cable attaches to. If you don't hear a click immediately after you start to turn, or if it happens further in the travel, you will need to adjust it. Did you take the throttle body off the intake to clean it? Makes it much easier to do it right.

It's most likely your tps unit is fine, it just needs to be adjusted so that it is sending the proper information to the fuel injection computer.

QuoteReply
sowsley
post Dec 4 2011, 11:09 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 97,163
Drives: 1987 Volvo 240 DL

QUOTE (sowsley @ Dec 4 2011, 07:46 PM)
Chris,

I'm going through the same thing as you, but I think I know what the problem is. Cleaning the throttle body probably caused the TPS to be out of adjustment, so the computer doesn't know when the car should be idling. I had the chance to play with a couple of '87 / '88 240's today at the junkyard, and was checking to see if I could hear a click and at what point in the travel it occurred. You should hear a faint click just after you start to open the throttle. With the engine off, rotate the butterfly valve with the large wheel the throttle cable attaches to. If you don't hear a click immediately after you start to turn, or if it happens further in the travel, you will need to adjust it. Did you take the throttle body off the intake to clean it? Makes it much easier to do it right.

It's most likely your tps unit is fine, it just needs to be adjusted so that it is sending the proper information to the fuel injection computer. Also, did you check to make sure your a/c switch is turned to the OFF position?

The reason I can't give a definitive answer today is because my car went into the body shop just after I cleaned the throttle body, so I'll do that next weekend. Just in case, Rock Auto has a good price on new TPS, check your part number, because I'm not sure the interchangeability between the years and they offer several.

QuoteReply
danielm85948
post Dec 4 2011, 11:16 PM
Post #4

Senior Veteran

Member No.: 74,889
Drives: volvo 940 se turbo 1991

QUOTE (damnyak @ Dec 4 2011, 07:18 PM)
Hello everyone, I have been chasing a issue with my 88 244. I seems at random times (speed, rpm, and temp, different all the time), the car will bog, tach does not drop, just slowing coasts as the throttle does nothing. like its out of gas. I am a super amateur mech. But super low on funds (as we all are) so i have changing things by myself. learnng more about my car everyday.

Things I have changed

-Pre pump was not working, New put in, works now!
-New sending unit, wired backwards. (Art from Cleanflametrap help me huge)
-New MAF
-New Plugs, cap, rotor.
-New Filter and Man pump.
-Cleaned throttle body.
-Checked for vacuum leaks
-Tested Idle valve, all correct.

My question is After I got the pump in (runs great quiet as a lamb) However the idle is still rough, and you could here it wanted to bog a couple times, So i tried something, I pulled the Throttle position switch plug out of the TPS, and it picked back up, sounded healthy. No immediate hesitation. Sounds 10 x better? I am wondering if anyone have any experience with the TPS. Can I drive around with the TPS unplugged, to test drive it. will it damage the car. If I put a new one in will it, act the same, or is this the sign of a bad TPS? I hope I make sense. Like the TPS is working properly and that's how my car sounds, and when I unplug it, its false and running poorly, even though it sounds better? I hope I make sense. And also reading the bentleys, It kind of confusing the adjustment of the TPS, as there is no photos etc. and i am not sure of the "adjustment screw" etc. Any help would be appreciated, Pics, Etc?

Thanks

Chris

do a compression test, in each of your cylinders, may be down in compression.

QuoteReply
damnyak
post Dec 5 2011, 05:48 AM
Post #5

Thanks for the tips, The TPS does Click, as soon as I start to move it. As for a compression test, wouldn't it start to bog as soon as I started the car. I can go driiving for 30 min or so and its fine then it will bog for 30 sec - 1 min, then I rev and ts fine.

I have had motor ike with bad compression, and you could not go over a certain speed. or it would die on teh spot. This issue I can get it to go over 130 KM/H up a hill, then when on a flat doing 80Km/H it bogs.

Like I was mentioning, can you drive with the TPS unplugged? safely? If unplugging it from the "Circuit", there for eliminating it does that mean it was the issue?

QuoteReply
danielm85948
post Dec 5 2011, 07:07 AM
Post #6

Senior Veteran

QUOTE (damnyak @ Dec 5 2011, 05:48 AM)
Thanks for the tips, The TPS does Click, as soon as I start to move it. As for a compression test, wouldn't it start to bog as soon as I started the car. I can go driiving for 30 min or so and its fine then it will bog for 30 sec - 1 min, then I rev and ts fine.

I have had motor ike with bad compression, and you could not go over a certain speed. or it would die on teh spot. This issue I can get it to go over 130 KM/H up a hill, then when on a flat doing 80Km/H it bogs.

Like I was mentioning, can you drive with the TPS unplugged? safely? If unplugging it from the "Circuit", there for eliminating it does that mean it was the issue?

change the throttle position sensor just Google one on-line try eBay.but as for compression ,the car can still run just down on power,and will run rough.

QuoteReply
damnyak
post Dec 5 2011, 08:29 AM
Post #7

I found good price on ebay, $50. and plan to change it. But can I drive with it unplugged, till it arrives. Which seems safer than me bogging down on the highway. and I need to get to work. Can it damage the car aside from possibly less MPG.

Me unplugging it and it running better, is that indicative of a faulty switch? or is putting a new one on going to result in the same running conditions as now?

Thanks

QuoteReply
damnyak
post Dec 5 2011, 08:36 AM
Post #8

Just another thought, Can the Throttle switch "Click" and be faulty ?, cause mine still clicks when I move it a tad.

QuoteReply
danielm85948
post Dec 5 2011, 05:55 PM
Post #9

Senior Veteran

QUOTE (damnyak @ Dec 5 2011, 08:36 AM)
Just another thought, Can the Throttle switch "Click" and be faulty ?, cause mine still clicks when I move it a tad.

the throttle position sensor , gives information to the ECU so controlling the fuel mix so yes it should still run, but just use more fuel, but it can make the plugs wet with more fuel, starting from cold, so you may have to take out each of the plugs and dry them, so take tools with you.

QuoteReply
danielm85948
post Dec 5 2011, 05:57 PM
Post #10

Senior Veteran

QUOTE (damnyak @ Dec 5 2011, 08:29 AM)
I found good price on ebay, $50. and plan to change it. But can I drive with it unplugged, till it arrives. Which seems safer than me bogging down on the highway. and I need to get to work. Can it damage the car aside from possibly less MPG.

Me unplugging it and it running better, is that indicative of a faulty switch? or is putting a new one on going to result in the same running conditions as now?

Thanks

i think that shows the trouble is with your throttle position sensor.

QuoteReply
robert240
post Dec 6 2011, 10:53 AM
Post #11

Veteran

Member No.: 30,857
Drives: 86 240

QUOTE (damnyak @ Dec 5 2011, 06:36 AM)

You would need to test it with a ohm meter to be sure.

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest Volvo 240, 242, 244 & 245 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Fueling Problems
5 mong man 517 6th April 2014 - 02:53 PM
Last post by: danielm85948
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsPossible Overdrive Problem?
6 raven+crow 528 5th April 2014 - 09:58 PM
Last post by: danielm85948
No New Posts Fuel Pump Relay?
740 fuel pump relay bad?
3 testrat 654 24th February 2014 - 10:12 PM
Last post by: highvoltj
No New Posts Pinned: Fuel Pressure Sensor Xc90 V8
Replacement of Fuel Pressure Sensor
1 Tanner Espey 3,785 15th September 2013 - 05:38 PM
Last post by: Kiss4aFrog
No New Posts Fuel System Issues
1980 240(45) dl fuel issues
2 cklei 550 29th July 2013 - 09:30 AM
Last post by: grendel1960

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 24th October 2014 - 06:08 PM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement