Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Xc90 Radio Replacement, XC90 Radio Replacement Questions
sffrancoxc90
post Nov 29 2011, 10:10 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 99,170
Drives: 2005 XC90 5cyl

I recently purchased a used 2005 XC90. The vehicle was purchased with the radio not functioning. When pressing power knob the display would briefly show (3 sec) "Premium Sound" then go blank. In last 2K miles driving, the radio suddenly turned on (about 3 seperate cases) and functioned fine (on/off, channel changing, audio controls, 6 CD changing, etc). It would remain functioning until car was turned off. Wierd part is if I turned ignition immediatly back on, the radio came back on, but if car sat for approx 5 minutes or more, then radio returned to its non-functioning state.

I was wondering if anyone had seen/fixed a similar issue ...could it be a cracked fiber optic cable ?

Looking to replace radio...was wondering what years are compatable. I am under impression that any change will require a s/w update.

Thanks in advance for all your inputs.
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
jmac2005XC9
post Nov 30 2011, 10:19 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 99,221
Drives: 2005 VOLVO XC 90

I am in a similar situation. I also have a 2005 XC90 with a broken CD players. We have a few CDs in the player that we can't retrieve. The radio works, but the CDs won't play and as I stated are stuck. I'm told I will most likely need to replace the unit. I was quoted $575 for a used one that may or may not need a software update and $900+ for a new one that will need a software update.

For that money though I would rather buy a new unit from Best Buy or some other car stereo retailer and get iPod connections, DVD playback, etc. The problem I am having is it appears no deck fits the XC90. bestbuy.com says this will work: Pioneer - 50W x 4 MOSFET AV H-P3300BT but Amazon says it isn't compatible.

Has anybody ever found an aftermarket cd unit that works in these cars?

QuoteReply
Jandonskie
post Dec 10 2011, 06:17 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 51,695
Drives: 2004 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD

QUOTE (jmac2005XC9 @ Nov 30 2011, 10:19 PM)
I am in a similar situation. I also have a 2005 XC90 with a broken CD players. We have a few CDs in the player that we can't retrieve. The radio works, but the CDs won't play and as I stated are stuck. I'm told I will most likely need to replace the unit. I was quoted $575 for a used one that may or may not need a software update and $900+ for a new one that will need a software update.

For that money though I would rather buy a new unit from Best Buy or some other car stereo retailer and get iPod connections, DVD playback, etc. The problem I am having is it appears no deck fits the XC90. bestbuy.com says this will work: Pioneer - 50W x 4 MOSFET AV H-P3300BT but Amazon says it isn't compatible.

Has anybody ever found an aftermarket cd unit that works in these cars?

I changed out to the Pioneer AVH 3300BT set and new facial for a total of about $800 via soundgurus.co.uk

All the parts required to install the AVH 3300BT:
Pioneer AVH 3300BT £350.00
Double DIN Fascia & Locking Cage £100.00
Wiring Harness £15.00
Aerial Harness £10.00
Steering Control Harness £100.00

Total £575.00

The initial "module" for steering control did not work, but Sound Gurus sent another one that ensured my steering controls work with the new radio set.

BUT, Note that except the dealer "de-install" the OEM radio from the car, you must run a set of wires to connect the OEM radio even while the Pioneer is installed. I kept the OEM radio in the space under the Pax seat where the OEM Amplifier used to sit - until I get a dealer to de-install via software. If not done, the climate control and other functions will not work in the car!

QuoteReply
VolvoDownunder
post Dec 12 2011, 02:07 AM
Post #4

Senior

Member No.: 3,414
Drives: 2006 XC90 2.5 and 2008 S40LE

My daughter had a similar issue with the radio in their 2009 XC70. It was still under warranty and was replaced by the dealer. Appears more cost effective to replace than repair. Perhaps an alternate to purchasing a new radio is to try a breakers yard or seek out a good radio repairer who may do a replace/rufurbish service.

QuoteReply
gustaf64
post Feb 9 2012, 02:19 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 89,123
Drives: 2004 XC90 T6 AWD

Jandonskie, your system sounds more or less exactly what I want to do to my -04. A few questions;

Did you keep the OEM amp or does the Pioneer have one in-built and was this enough?

I assume you kept the OEM speakers. Did you manage to connect all of them? I have the High Performance system so 11 speakers in total.

Do you still hear the Reverse Warning? I assume you do, but does it mute your new stereo?

Did your setup include Bluetooth and did SoundGurus supply you with all of that kit too?

Did the harness for the steering wheel include the controls for the phone?

I imagine you did the install yourself.
If you have any pics it would be nice to see the finished install.

/g

QuoteReply
spiker12345
post Jun 6 2012, 04:00 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 82,411
Drives: 2005 Volvo XC 90 AWD

I recently purchased a used 2005 XC90. The vehicle was purchased with the radio not functioning. When pressing power knob the display would briefly show (3 sec) "Premium Sound" then go blank. In last 2K miles driving, the radio suddenly turned on (about 3 seperate cases) and functioned fine (on/off, channel changing, audio controls, 6 CD changing, etc). It would remain functioning until car was turned off. Wierd part is if I turned ignition immediatly back on, the radio came back on, but if car sat for approx 5 minutes or more, then radio returned to its non-functioning state.

In reply to the above problem, I have a 2005 XC 90 too with this same problem. I just took it to the Volvo Dealer and they said I have a defective "Infotainment Control Module" at a cost of $1,500. Thats why I here to see what other owners have to say about this problem.

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest Volvo XC90 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Replacement Tires ?
Looking for new tires
2 supero 252 12th August 2014 - 07:05 PM
Last post by: supero
No New Posts Xc90 2008 Good Choice?
Looking to buy XC90 2008
0 al_toengi 312 20th July 2014 - 12:30 PM
Last post by: al_toengi
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsRadio Wires Messed Up
2 nicolie 275 17th July 2014 - 03:00 AM
Last post by: nicolie
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsXc90 D5 Exec Sunroof Gps Dvd Towbar ++ Sale
An excellent package going cheap - Australia only
0 VIVA 276 18th March 2014 - 05:26 AM
Last post by: VIVA
No New Posts Xc90 For Sale
BRAND NEW RADIATOR, TIMINGBELT AND WATER PUMP
0 thexc90man 428 10th March 2014 - 03:24 PM
Last post by: thexc90man

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 18th September 2014 - 02:44 PM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement