Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Xc90 2007 Parking Brake Adjustment - Where Is It?
colinu
post Nov 9 2011, 12:44 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 80,266
Drives: 2007 XC90 3.2L AWD

Hi,
Can anyone tell me where the parking brake adjustment is for an XC90 2007 (3.2 I-6 AWD)? I've removed the drivers footwell side panel (centre consol), can see where the cables runs, but there is no adjuster in there. Is it adjusted at the foot pedal assembly, or at the rear calipers?
I've just replaced my rear rotors, pads, and parking shoes and find that my parking brake still doesn't hold on a hill.

Many thanks,
Colin.
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
jvares
post Nov 17 2011, 10:51 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 62,781
Drives: 1998 S70 GLT

The adjuster on the XC90 model is not on the footpedal assembly - it is located driver's side bottom of the console and is accessed by removing the carpeted side cover.

Move the seat to it's rearmost position, pop out the heater discharge cover in the driver's side footwell (on transmission hump) and pull the carpeted panel off. The treaded adjuster is there. Put wrench on incoming cable sleave, outgoing sleave, and turn adjuster to create or remove slack.

If you don't have 3 hands, GENTLY hold the rearward cable sleave with a visegrip on the flatted section.

See the attachment.

HTH
Jukka
Attached File(s)
Attached File  XC90_parking_brake_adjustment.pdf ( 1.12MB ) Number of downloads: 288

QuoteReply
colinu
post Nov 18 2011, 12:30 AM
Post #3

I removed that centre consul panel and there's no adjuster in there (as stated in my original post). I'll have a look around the foot pedal area this weekend to see if I can figure out exactly where the adjuster is.

QuoteReply
yueibm
post Nov 26 2011, 10:13 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 48,787
Drives: 2005 XC90 V8

QUOTE (colinu @ Nov 18 2011, 12:30 AM)
I removed that centre consul panel and there's no adjuster in there (as stated in my original post). I'll have a look around the foot pedal area this weekend to see if I can figure out exactly where the adjuster is.

I, too, couldn't find the parking brake adjuster and thought I had the older (2003 to early 2004) adjuster on the parking brake pedal.

But, it turns out that the parking brake cable and the adjuster are buried under the edge of the non-removable (i.e. not a part of the removable panel) carpet coming up from the floor. So, take the panel off and run your hand down the bottom and feel around between the remaining carpet and the bottom of the console. I have two XC90s (2.5T and V8) and both of the cables were buried down there. The cables that you see clearly in front of you after moving the console side panel aren't for the parking brakes.

The official VIDA way to adjust it is to use large-enough hose removal pliers to pull more of the engine-side cable sheath out from inside the adjuster (metal cylinder; it internally ratchets to only allow pulling sheath out). This has the effect of lengthening the cable sheath so that the cable ends are pulled inside for more tension. Only take off the clip and turn the assembly to slacken off the cable for new shoes/rotor replacement. That said, turning the adjuster the opposite way (don't remember which) seems to tighten the cable system as Jvares said.

More images at the bottom of this link: http://www.justanswer.com/volvo/4e4eg-volv...miles-just.html (None of the images are my own, a Volvo tech named Andy made these)

I hope this helps! For what it's worth, my 2.5T's parking brake shoes and rotor are worn so much that the little amount of adjustment at the adjuster will not help, so it's time to replace the shoes and rotor.

Yue
Attached File(s)
Attached File  2010_12_29_022115_parking_brake_3.jpg ( 477.39K ) Number of downloads: 116

QuoteReply
colinu
post Nov 29 2011, 08:29 PM
Post #5

Thanks for that info - I'll have a rummage and see if I can find the adjuster this weekend.

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest Volvo XC90 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Xc90 2008 Good Choice?
Looking to buy XC90 2008
0 al_toengi 326 20th July 2014 - 12:30 PM
Last post by: al_toengi
No New Posts Brake Light Socket
Can burn too brightly/Correct Color?
0 claudeworld 147 10th July 2014 - 11:40 PM
Last post by: claudeworld
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsWhere Are The Floor Jack Points On S60
2 THERIFLEMAN 582 25th May 2014 - 09:21 PM
Last post by: THERIFLEMAN
No New Posts Parking Assist / Parktronic Issues?
No beeping or warning signals in reverse?
4 '13XC60TXGal 1,680 4th May 2014 - 06:06 PM
Last post by: BDear
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsXc90 D5 Exec Sunroof Gps Dvd Towbar ++ Sale
An excellent package going cheap - Australia only
0 VIVA 279 18th March 2014 - 05:26 AM
Last post by: VIVA

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 21st September 2014 - 03:08 PM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement