Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Power Steering Fluid Leak
chipsbird
post Nov 7 2011, 06:13 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 98,058
Drives: 2004 XC70

I recently had a lot of work done on my 2004 Volvo XC70 (less than 80,000 miles) and within a week, discovered I had practically no power steering fluid (after hearing a lot of noise while turning in either direction). I filled up the reservoir (to point indicated) with power steering fluid (not ATF). Two weeks later I see fluid on the ground and the steering is again making noise. I am worried that if I take the car in to a dealer (or elsewhere) they will tell me I need a very expensive repair. Car is running fine except for this. Is it possible that a hose was disturbed when the following was done (less than a month ago): oil and oil filter replaced (synthetic oil); serpentine tensioner pulley and belt replaced; left front inner CV boot reclamped; turbo return line resealed; transmission fluid flushed and replacement fluid put in. Any thoughts on this? If I take it in and am told the car needs a major repair to the power steering system, tie rods, whatever, should I say I'm going to get a second opinion? I want to trust people but honestly, I've been spending 2-3000 a year on repairs (mostly at my dealer) for this car which has always run great and which I've maintained very well. As a woman over 55, it is natural for me to feel that a repair shop (including the dealer) feels they can tell me anything they want. Any thoughts/recommendations appreciated.
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
danielm85948
post Nov 8 2011, 04:47 AM
Post #2

Senior Veteran

Member No.: 74,889
Drives: volvo 940 se turbo 1991

QUOTE (chipsbird @ Nov 7 2011, 06:13 PM)
I recently had a lot of work done on my 2004 Volvo XC70 (less than 80,000 miles) and within a week, discovered I had practically no power steering fluid (after hearing a lot of noise while turning in either direction). I filled up the reservoir (to point indicated) with power steering fluid (not ATF). Two weeks later I see fluid on the ground and the steering is again making noise. I am worried that if I take the car in to a dealer (or elsewhere) they will tell me I need a very expensive repair. Car is running fine except for this. Is it possible that a hose was disturbed when the following was done (less than a month ago): oil and oil filter replaced (synthetic oil); serpentine tensioner pulley and belt replaced; left front inner CV boot reclamped; turbo return line resealed; transmission fluid flushed and replacement fluid put in. Any thoughts on this? If I take it in and am told the car needs a major repair to the power steering system, tie rods, whatever, should I say I'm going to get a second opinion? I want to trust people but honestly, I've been spending 2-3000 a year on repairs (mostly at my dealer) for this car which has always run great and which I've maintained very well. As a woman over 55, it is natural for me to feel that a repair shop (including the dealer) feels they can tell me anything they want. Any thoughts/recommendations appreciated.

can you see were the leak is from,if not from the hoses,then the seals in the pump are gone,or the seals in the steering shaft are gone,your steering shaft is only held on by a total of 5 bolts and two hoses,if you know a person that can help you,remove that part from a auto car breakers,and fit it to your car it would be a cheap repair,to do it that way.

QuoteReply
Vermont
post Nov 8 2011, 08:54 AM
Post #3

Senior

Member No.: 80,050
Drives: 2002 Volvo S60

Just to second Dan; I had a Power Steering Pump start leaking at about 52,000 miles, and had to add a bit of fluid every 1000 miles or so. Finally, I got a used one (with no real knowledge of the donor car's history or mileage).

So now I'm now at 204,000 miles on that vehicle, and the used pump still doesn't leak! I suppose it's just the luck of the draw ?

I wonder if anyone every replaces just the bearing/seals on these Power Steering Pumps and the Water Pumps? I would . . . . provided I kept my old pump(s) to refurbish.

The car can well out-last those seals/bearings.

For Chipsbird, I'm pleased that your dealer only "re-clamped" the CV Joint Boot . . . . it could have been a lot more expensive had they decided to replace it.

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest 2G (2001-2007) V70, V70XC & XC70 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Power Steering Fluid
WSS M2C204-A
2 Begibbs1 1,070 27th November 2013 - 07:49 AM
Last post by: Begibbs1
No New Posts Steering Wheel Trim Differences
1 vlvwagon 318 18th November 2013 - 03:03 PM
Last post by: vlvwagon
No New Posts Leaking Window - 06 C70
1 arid 581 5th November 2013 - 09:04 PM
Last post by: danielm85948
No New Posts Steering Fluid Low....i'm In West Africa! :(
6 Grawburg 1,004 1st September 2013 - 08:22 AM
Last post by: Kiss4aFrog
No New Posts Power Windows Suddenly Quit Working
2 RBH 648 9th August 2013 - 09:28 PM
Last post by: switch-doctor

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 30th July 2014 - 10:08 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement