Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> '93 960 Check Engine Light And Codes...anyone Help?, the '93 960's check engine light showed up the other day and I
docweedon
post Nov 3 2011, 11:58 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 97,364
Drives: 1993 Volvo 960 Sedan

Well, the '93 960's check engine light showed up the other day and I had a chance to pull the codes from the ODBI test block and received two codes. Was wondering if anyone can help decipher them and let me know if they are serious.

3-2-2 code - From what I have gathered it has something to do with the MAF sensor and a wire, ground perhaps? What do I need to do to check this further or do I need to replace the MAF sensor?

5-1-1 code - Long term fuel trim, idle. This one I don't know what to make. It comes up and a whole host of things. Intake/exhaust leak, EVAP, excessive fuel in engine oil, and the MAF sensor.

Anyone of experiences with these codes and how to deal with them? Aside from a rough idle and a surge at stop lights from time to time, the car runs great. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
nrschaaf
post Nov 3 2011, 12:47 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 97,477
Drives: 1992Volvo 940 Turbo, 2002 Volvo xc70, 1968 Volvo P1800

Code 3-2-2 refers to the burn-off hot wire in the MAF sensor. I'm not familiar with code 5-1-1, but concidering that it can refernce your MAF then I would start there.

QuoteReply
docweedon
post Nov 3 2011, 03:06 PM
Post #3

What is the burn off wire in the MAF and what does it do?

QuoteReply
danielm85948
post Nov 3 2011, 04:19 PM
Post #4

Senior Veteran

Member No.: 74,889
Drives: volvo 940 se turbo 1991

QUOTE (docweedon @ Nov 3 2011, 11:58 AM)
Well, the '93 960's check engine light showed up the other day and I had a chance to pull the codes from the ODBI test block and received two codes. Was wondering if anyone can help decipher them and let me know if they are serious.

3-2-2 code - From what I have gathered it has something to do with the MAF sensor and a wire, ground perhaps? What do I need to do to check this further or do I need to replace the MAF sensor?

5-1-1 code - Long term fuel trim, idle. This one I don't know what to make. It comes up and a whole host of things. Intake/exhaust leak, EVAP, excessive fuel in engine oil, and the MAF sensor.

Anyone of experiences with these codes and how to deal with them? Aside from a rough idle and a surge at stop lights from time to time, the car runs great. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

you can get a new MAF meter on Ebay for a $100 and clean the idle control valve with carb cleaner,as the piston inside can stick due to dirt, spray into both holes.

QuoteReply
docweedon
post Nov 3 2011, 04:32 PM
Post #5

Ok so more research I find the 511 code is "Adaptive oxygen sensor control-lean mixture at idle." @danielm85948, where is the idle control valve located? From reading, what you recommended to clean the idle control valve could do the trick.

**I disconnected the MAF sensor and the car ran good. No rough idle at stops. This leads me to believe that it is indeed the MAF going bad and needs to be replaced.

I have found a MAF on ebay used for about $100. I'm going to purchase that and see if it works. I don't think I need to take the car to the shop, but it is something I want to fix asap.

QuoteReply
danielm85948
post Nov 3 2011, 11:56 PM
Post #6

Senior Veteran

QUOTE (docweedon @ Nov 3 2011, 04:32 PM)
Ok so more research I find the 511 code is "Adaptive oxygen sensor control-lean mixture at idle." @danielm85948, where is the idle control valve located? From reading, what you recommended to clean the idle control valve could do the trick.

**I disconnected the MAF sensor and the car ran good. No rough idle at stops. This leads me to believe that it is indeed the MAF going bad and needs to be replaced.

I have found a MAF on ebay used for about $100. I'm going to purchase that and see if it works. I don't think I need to take the car to the shop, but it is something I want to fix asap.

just google idle control valve volvo 960 for details,should be about 10 inches under the throttle body,

QuoteReply
danielm85948
post Nov 3 2011, 11:57 PM
Post #7

Senior Veteran

QUOTE (docweedon @ Nov 3 2011, 04:32 PM)

just google idle control valve volvo 960 for details,should be about 10 inches under the throttle body,this is your idle control valve
Attached File(s)
Attached File  140.jpg ( 4.81K ) Number of downloads: 3

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest Volvo 940 & 960 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsEngine System Service Required .. But No Codes!
6 V70 Driver 3,746 28th August 2014 - 04:06 AM
Last post by: alanjackson
No New Posts Engine System Service Required S80 2006 2.4d
0 S60D5SE 303 13th August 2014 - 03:17 PM
Last post by: S60D5SE
No New Posts Help! Throttle Actuator Stuck Open, Car In Limp Mode
1 deedatc 305 25th June 2014 - 05:20 PM
Last post by: danielm85948
No New Posts Help! Throttle Actuator Stuck Open, Car In Limp Mode
0 deedatc 171 25th June 2014 - 01:40 PM
Last post by: deedatc
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsEngine Computer Test
car runs better with vacuum tube disconnected
17 ThagSimmons 420 16th June 2014 - 01:57 AM
Last post by: danielm85948

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 20th October 2014 - 04:41 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement