Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> '93 Volvo 240 Engine Swap, going from gasoline to turbo diesel, how possible is it?
conqueror
post Nov 2 2011, 04:02 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 97,650
Drives: 1993 Volvo 240 Wagon

Hi everyone, I have a '93 Volvo 240 Wagon in great shape, that was made in Sweden.

I've got this crazy idea to take my inline-4 B230F engine out of my '93 240 wagon and replace it with a D24TIC, and I was wondering if anyone has done something similar and could tell me how feasible something like this really is. Right now I'm just interested in the idea, finding the components is a different problem for later. The biggest reason I'm interested is that I'd like to have a diesel (better) engine, and I know that the inline-6's have better harmonic balance than the inline-4's.

I also love my Volvo the way it is now, but it's automatic. Is it worth swapping out my automatic transmission for a manual one, or is it easier to just try finding another stock manual made-in-Sweden 240 wagon?

What about limited slip differentials? Has anyone experimented with those, and how did you like the or not like them compared to the normal open differentials?

I'm not as mechanically inclined as a lot of the people I've been reading posts from, but I do know my way around machinery: taking apart and bringing back to life a 1955 M72 motorcycle in Romania.

Thanks and cheers,

Vasile
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
danielm85948
post Nov 2 2011, 07:42 AM
Post #2

Senior Veteran

Member No.: 74,889
Drives: volvo 940 se turbo 1991

QUOTE (conqueror @ Nov 2 2011, 04:02 AM)
Hi everyone, I have a '93 Volvo 240 Wagon in great shape, that was made in Sweden.

I've got this crazy idea to take my inline-4 B230F engine out of my '93 240 wagon and replace it with a D24TIC, and I was wondering if anyone has done something similar and could tell me how feasible something like this really is. Right now I'm just interested in the idea, finding the components is a different problem for later. The biggest reason I'm interested is that I'd like to have a diesel (better) engine, and I know that the inline-6's have better harmonic balance than the inline-4's.

I also love my Volvo the way it is now, but it's automatic. Is it worth swapping out my automatic transmission for a manual one, or is it easier to just try finding another stock manual made-in-Sweden 240 wagon?

What about limited slip differentials? Has anyone experimented with those, and how did you like the or not like them compared to the normal open differentials?

I'm not as mechanically inclined as a lot of the people I've been reading posts from, but I do know my way around machinery: taking apart and bringing back to life a 1955 M72 motorcycle in Romania.

Thanks and cheers,

Vasile

buy a diesel car it would be cheaper to do that ,than change everything needed to do,you do not just change the engine over,number of things would have to be changed.

QuoteReply
NightSailor
post Nov 14 2011, 07:52 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 73,465
Drives: 1992 Volvo 240

I think it is a great idea. I've often thought about putting a TDi engine in my 240 wagon. It is a crazy amount of work though. The gas engine is so well built, you are better off keeping it stock.

QuoteReply
FCPGroton
post Nov 15 2011, 06:55 PM
Post #4

Veteran

Member No.: 46,280
Drives: 2002 CLK 430

QUOTE (NightSailor @ Nov 14 2011, 07:52 PM)
I think it is a great idea. I've often thought about putting a TDi engine in my 240 wagon. It is a crazy amount of work though. The gas engine is so well built, you are better off keeping it stock.

So true, you have to ask yourself why. If it works why mess with it.

QuoteReply
KCsaba
post Dec 1 2011, 01:54 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 99,157
Drives: s40,s70,850,740

I use to own a M72 ihave pictures of him.
Anyvay, to replace an automatic to a 5 speed transmisssion not that hard. you will need :
1, pedal set
2, 5 speed transmission
3, fly wheel
4, clutch cable
5, clutch kit
6, possible a drive shaft
7, shifter lever.

Limted slip is more fun to drive, helps in mud or snow too.

QuoteReply
conqueror
post Dec 5 2011, 02:32 AM
Post #6

QUOTE (FCPGroton @ Nov 15 2011, 03:55 PM)
So true, you have to ask yourself why. If it works why mess with it.

I hear what you guys are saying, but mostly I think of it as: if it's possible, why not?

I suppose the main thing that I was going for was that with my car's power plant would be more efficient with a diesel engine, and then especially with it doubly turbocharged and intercooled. Besides, mechanically, I-6 engines with 7 main bearings are perfectly balanced as far as the engine's primary and secondary inertial moments go (as far as I've understood it) which leads to less stress on the engine and so a longer life, too.

Plus, I feel like although the engine is a B230F 2.4L, and true it hasn't given me any problems yet at 155000 miles, the car doesn't have a proportional amount of power for its weight and load capability. I know it's not a race horse, but I'd still like it to be able to jump at the bit if I'd ever need it to.

Another thing is that it I don't believe that the 3-speed automatic gearbox does the 240 wagon justice. It feels like it struggles driving empty up an incline of say 30 degrees with the pedal to the floor. I am comparing this to a newer model (2000+) Dacia Logan I drove last summer in Romania up dirt roads of 40 degrees or more, where the engine just kept taking it like a champ and the car was eating up the slope like nothing. Of course my Volvo is almost 1,000 lbs. heavier, the engine is twice as big as well. Then you'd also think that my Volvo being rear-wheel drive would fare better at such a comparison, seeing as how the weight would be settling on the rear wheels.

Something doesn't add up to me in the comparison, but for the swap I know this will work, as far as numbers go at least.

That's also got me considering that the D24T(IC) engines are pretty old, and that's gotten me looking at other I6 diesel engines that might fit the 240 wagon engine bay, and so I've come up with the Mercedes Benz OM606 engine.

Anyone have any sort of opinions about this?

Thanks,

Vasile

QuoteReply
conqueror
post Jan 30 2012, 01:40 AM
Post #7

Ok, how about this:

Setting up an R154 5-speed manual transmission setup for RWD/4WD. I know of people that have out an R154 into their Volvo 240, but has anyone ever tried setting up an R154 for RWD/4WD?? How did it work? Was it worth it?

Thanks for all you replies everyone.

Vasile

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest Volvo 240, 242, 244 & 245 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Engine System Service Required S80 2006 2.4d
0 S60D5SE 80 13th August 2014 - 03:17 PM
Last post by: S60D5SE
No New Posts Volvo 850 Cd Smokes Like Crazy But Runs Fine?
9 JeremyK 170 8th August 2014 - 12:25 PM
Last post by: danielm85948
No New Posts Volvo S60, V60 Polestar Pricing Announced
0 AutoGuide.com 99 7th August 2014 - 01:54 PM
Last post by: AutoGuide.com
No New Posts Volvo B230gt Engine?
Please explain to me because it seems that I have one in my car
0 Archon 84 30th July 2014 - 09:53 AM
Last post by: Archon
No New Posts Volvo Starting
FUEL ? SENSOR?
6 claudeworld 323 10th July 2014 - 11:16 PM
Last post by: claudeworld

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 22nd August 2014 - 02:38 PM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement