Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Rough Idle/engine In Safe Mode, Rough idle/engine in safe mode
gamerguru1974
post Oct 17 2011, 03:39 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 96,973
Drives: 2000 Volvo S80 2.9 I6

Recently my 2000 Volvo S80 2.9L started having a rough idle at startup. The car would then not proceed down the road faster than about 15-20 mph and the rpm's would not exceed 2000-2500. I turned around and headed home to search the internet for solutions. The car has approx. 115,000 miles, and I just replaced the spark plugs and cleaned the throttle control module. I then completed a "restart" of the computer by disconnecting the battery for several minutes. On powerup and startup, the car ran fine, drove for a few miles, got the engine temperature up to regular operating temp, and brought it back home with no problems. After shutting the car off, and trying to start again, the rough idle came back, and the car again would not exceed the afore mentioned rpm/mph. Short of taking to the dealership, does anyone have any other ideas on what this could be. I am leaning towards a sensor or computer issue, but wanted to seek some input!!!

Thank you in advance!
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
danielm85948
post Oct 17 2011, 04:21 PM
Post #2

Senior Veteran

Member No.: 74,889
Drives: volvo 940 se turbo 1991

QUOTE (gamerguru1974 @ Oct 17 2011, 04:39 PM)
Recently my 2000 Volvo S80 2.9L started having a rough idle at startup. The car would then not proceed down the road faster than about 15-20 mph and the rpm's would not exceed 2000-2500. I turned around and headed home to search the internet for solutions. The car has approx. 115,000 miles, and I just replaced the spark plugs and cleaned the throttle control module. I then completed a "restart" of the computer by disconnecting the battery for several minutes. On powerup and startup, the car ran fine, drove for a few miles, got the engine temperature up to regular operating temp, and brought it back home with no problems. After shutting the car off, and trying to start again, the rough idle came back, and the car again would not exceed the afore mentioned rpm/mph. Short of taking to the dealership, does anyone have any other ideas on what this could be. I am leaning towards a sensor or computer issue, but wanted to seek some input!!!

Thank you in advance!

get the codes first,as it can be a number of things,sounds like an o2 sensor.

QuoteReply
gamerguru1974
post Oct 17 2011, 04:55 PM
Post #3

I am taking it in to get the codes on Wednesday, so hopefully I will have some answers by then!

Thanks

QuoteReply
gamerguru1974
post Oct 19 2011, 08:01 PM
Post #4

Ok, I took my 2000 S80 to my local mechanic (who I trust!) and he received a throttle control module error/failure code on his computer. I have already removed the module and cleaned the unit completely, having read on other websites that this could be a contributing factor to the problems. None of this has corrected the problems that I am experiencing. I just read something about a "recall" on the ECM/Throttle control, and that it is good for 10 years/200,000 miles, whichever comes first. As my car is a 2000, and I am not the original owner, I am probably just over the 10 year period that this part is covered. Has anyone else had any experience with this? I am going to call the Customer Care number and see what I can find out from Volvo. Anyone have any ideas?

Additionally, now the car is idling rough all of the time, even after resetting the system.

Any comments of help are appreciated!

QuoteReply
danielm85948
post Oct 19 2011, 09:23 PM
Post #5

Senior Veteran

Member No.: 74,889
Drives: volvo 940 se turbo 1991

QUOTE (gamerguru1974 @ Oct 19 2011, 08:01 PM)
Ok, I took my 2000 S80 to my local mechanic (who I trust!) and he received a throttle control module error/failure code on his computer. I have already removed the module and cleaned the unit completely, having read on other websites that this could be a contributing factor to the problems. None of this has corrected the problems that I am experiencing. I just read something about a "recall" on the ECM/Throttle control, and that it is good for 10 years/200,000 miles, whichever comes first. As my car is a 2000, and I am not the original owner, I am probably just over the 10 year period that this part is covered. Has anyone else had any experience with this? I am going to call the Customer Care number and see what I can find out from Volvo. Anyone have any ideas?

Additionally, now the car is idling rough all of the time, even after resetting the system.

Any comments of help are appreciated!

change the module,but if it is one of cost try a car breakers or ebay.

QuoteReply
dingos80
post Nov 8 2011, 12:02 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 98,072
Drives: 1999 S80 2000 V70

hello all, hope to get some help as I am encountering the exact same issue. My 1999 S80 2.9L has 296K miles and is pulling the same deal. Revs up high when first started then idles horribly. Won't rev past 2400rpm. When in drive won't acceralte past 15-20mph. Instead of replacing the etm, has anyone been successful in cleaning the etm and maybe the idle control valve on top of cylinder head? Installing a used etm will also require a download correct? Many thanks for any help!

QuoteReply
dingos80
post Dec 11 2011, 06:12 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 98,072
Drives: 1999 S80 2000 V70

hello all, just wanted to follow up on my S80's issue. turned out it wasn't the etm, it was no power to #21 10amp fuse under hood. that fuse powers the etm. i installed a used etm and it ran exactly the same. the volvo tech tried to program but could not communicate download to etm. he then found no power to fuse so we used a jumper wire to the fuse directly in front of #21 and it ran perfect again. my S80 did not need the etm, just power to it. i currently have a jumper wire installed until i pick up another main fuse box under hood. thanks for your help everyone and hope this helps someone else.

QuoteReply
gfkelliott
post Jan 5 2012, 06:48 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 101,254
Drives: 1999 Volvo s80 T6

QUOTE (dingos80 @ Dec 11 2011, 06:12 PM)
hello all, just wanted to follow up on my S80's issue. turned out it wasn't the etm, it was no power to #21 10amp fuse under hood. that fuse powers the etm. i installed a used etm and it ran exactly the same. the volvo tech tried to program but could not communicate download to etm. he then found no power to fuse so we used a jumper wire to the fuse directly in front of #21 and it ran perfect again. my S80 did not need the etm, just power to it. i currently have a jumper wire installed until i pick up another main fuse box under hood. thanks for your help everyone and hope this helps someone else.

I just experienced the same problem with my '99 s80, exept mine just looses rpm/mph randomly as I'm driving, have to pull over, shut the engine off, and restart and it's good to go again for a while. Can you tell me how to go about installing a jumper? I'm always hesitant of messing with electrical components for fear of causing more damage. But if I'm sure of the proceedure, I'd like to give it a try. Thanks to anyone who can advise me on on this proceedure. And thank you dingos80 for your follow up.

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest 1G (1998-2006) S80 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Intermittent Starting Problem!
My 2001 C70 2L LPT has developed an intermittent starting problem.
6 bay72 1,142 15th August 2014 - 10:11 AM
Last post by: MJH
No New Posts Safety And Convenience With In-car Bluetooth
Recently released walkthrough video of GROM Bluetooth Car Kit
0 GROM Audio 171 14th July 2014 - 12:47 PM
Last post by: GROM Audio
No New Posts Intermittent Failure Fob/remote
1 Jasper van Dijk 385 3rd July 2014 - 03:30 AM
Last post by: Platypup
No New Posts Intermittent Speedometer/odometer Failure
Intermittent speedometer/odometer failure
2 budalla 609 2nd June 2014 - 07:57 AM
Last post by: moncharleskey
No New Posts Installling Aftermarket Radio
3 Alex G 1,014 11th January 2014 - 01:07 PM
Last post by: TheGreekMason

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 26th October 2014 - 02:41 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement