Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Engine Shutting Off
shine
post Sep 26 2011, 02:22 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 94,333
Drives: 2004.5 S40 T5

Hi,

I have a 2004.5 S40 T5 (Almost 77,000 miles). First of all, the car has had several issues since I got it in 2008, including sunroof leaking, the CEM has had to be replaced several times, and it has had at least one optional recall item fail (what it was exactly I'm forgetting at the moment), and when I bring it in they often say that the car won't give them any codes or communicate at all.

Now, over the past few weeks, it has been running much rougher than usual, and the engine started shutting off as I was driving. It seems to happen at least once a day, and usually the RPMs start to drop right before it dies. I will try to accelerate, but the gas pedal seems to not respond, and it will usually coast for maybe 5 seconds before shutting off completely. At first I thought it was an odd occurrence, but it wasn't such a big deal because I could get it started again right away, and I was on pretty mellow roads. Now however it has started to shut off even when I'm going 60 mph on the freeway, and will take several tries to restart. Yesterday night the check engine light came on and hasn't shut off. I know I'm going to have to bring it in, but the Volvo people in my area have all been mystified by the problems the car has had before, and they usually take several weeks to get it working right again, so I was wondering if anyone had any idea what could be wrong. Everything else seems fine with the car, and it was just serviced last month.

Thanks for any help!
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
lessheldon
post Sep 27 2011, 11:01 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 52,619
Drives: volvo v50 t5

Had the same problem last year with my v50 shutting down at speed - very frightening and dangerous!
After many visits to volvo dealers in France where I live and without success, I took car to Holdcrofts in Stoke on Trent UK, who solved it in seconds.

Engine diagnostic showed that fuel pressure was twice the norm due to a faulty sensor unit; once replaced no further problems.

If engine warning light is on, then item should show on Volvo diagnostic which is very comprehensive. But not everyone knows how to interpret the resuting code!

Good luck.

QuoteReply
danielm85948
post Sep 27 2011, 11:23 AM
Post #3

Senior Veteran

Member No.: 74,889
Drives: volvo 940 se turbo 1991

QUOTE (shine @ Sep 26 2011, 03:22 PM)
Hi,

I have a 2004.5 S40 T5 (Almost 77,000 miles). First of all, the car has had several issues since I got it in 2008, including sunroof leaking, the CEM has had to be replaced several times, and it has had at least one optional recall item fail (what it was exactly I'm forgetting at the moment), and when I bring it in they often say that the car won't give them any codes or communicate at all.

Now, over the past few weeks, it has been running much rougher than usual, and the engine started shutting off as I was driving. It seems to happen at least once a day, and usually the RPMs start to drop right before it dies. I will try to accelerate, but the gas pedal seems to not respond, and it will usually coast for maybe 5 seconds before shutting off completely. At first I thought it was an odd occurrence, but it wasn't such a big deal because I could get it started again right away, and I was on pretty mellow roads. Now however it has started to shut off even when I'm going 60 mph on the freeway, and will take several tries to restart. Yesterday night the check engine light came on and hasn't shut off. I know I'm going to have to bring it in, but the Volvo people in my area have all been mystified by the problems the car has had before, and they usually take several weeks to get it working right again, so I was wondering if anyone had any idea what could be wrong. Everything else seems fine with the car, and it was just serviced last month.

Thanks for any help!

first thing is get your codes.

QuoteReply
shine
post Sep 27 2011, 11:43 PM
Post #4

Hey,

Thanks for the info, it sounds like this may be the same thing, or something similar. I was able to get the codes from the car on a code reader. Two came up saying "Fuel Pressure Regulator Control Circuit" and "Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor High Input"

QuoteReply
danielm85948
post Sep 28 2011, 05:23 AM
Post #5

Senior Veteran

QUOTE (shine @ Sep 28 2011, 12:43 AM)
Hey,

Thanks for the info, it sounds like this may be the same thing, or something similar. I was able to get the codes from the car on a code reader. Two came up saying "Fuel Pressure Regulator Control Circuit" and "Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor High Input"

change the fuel pressure regulator,it is on your fuel rail,your fuel pressure sensor it telling your ECU the cars brain,to shut down ,due to high pressure being sent by the fuel pressure regulator,but google how to do this,as you have high pressure,it can take out your eyes if you get it wrong,and risk of fire ,i think you should get a garage to do this,if not sure what you are doing.

QuoteReply
shine
post Sep 29 2011, 12:41 AM
Post #6

Hi,

Thanks for the input. I'm most likely going to get my dad to help me, as he is experienced in working on cars. Today I got the same "Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor High Input" code, but the 2nd code that came up was "Fuel Rail/System Pressure - Too High". Given this, would you think it is the regulator or the sensor that is faulty?

QuoteReply
danielm85948
post Sep 29 2011, 01:24 AM
Post #7

Senior Veteran

QUOTE (shine @ Sep 29 2011, 12:41 AM)
Hi,

Thanks for the input. I'm most likely going to get my dad to help me, as he is experienced in working on cars. Today I got the same "Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor High Input" code, but the 2nd code that came up was "Fuel Rail/System Pressure - Too High". Given this, would you think it is the regulator or the sensor that is faulty?

the fact that you now have the second code,shows it is the sensor ,not the regulator,so you change the sensor,it is down the left hand side of the engine,you at the front of the car,just google it to see it,your dad must read ,what must be done to change it,as high pressure there, if pressure not down ,the sensor will shoot out ,of the engine,when the bolt is removed,so understand what must be done to remove the sensor,Warning do not remove that bolt holding on the sensor ,till he gets the fuel pressure down first.that is why he must google how to change the fuel pressure sensor on the volvo s40.

QuoteReply
draser
post Oct 7 2011, 08:03 PM
Post #8

Senior

Member No.: 94,352
Drives: 2005 S60

OK, so fuel pressure regulator came up. What the regulator does is to let extra pressure go back to the tank. So if you read high fuel pressure you know it's the regulator. Now, not sure if on your car the regulator is controlled by vaccum or it's electronic. So, before you replace make sure the regulator it's controlled correctly.

QuoteReply
shine
post Oct 11 2011, 02:34 PM
Post #9

Hey,

We replaced the fuel pressure sensor and that seems to have fixed the problem. The car still idles really rough compared to how it did before, but I've made a few long trips since the sensor was replaced and it runs fine now. Thanks for the help!

QuoteReply
rjackson
post Feb 28 2012, 05:59 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 104,376
Drives: 2004.5 Volvo S40 T5

Hi,

Just trying to help out everyone with this problem hopefully. We had the EXACT same issue. Car would "hold back" when you were driving and would then stall when you came to a start, sometimes started losing acceleration while driving down the road. We tried things from air filter change, fuel cleaning additive (suggested by dealer), cleaned the throttle. We finally took it into the dealer and they put it on the diagnostic machine (the engine light was on) and it was the fuel pressure sensor. After 2.5 hrs, they did first hour of labor and the diagnostic test for free because it started when we purchased the car (as is), cost was $396 parts and labor. CAR IS RUNNING GREAT AGAIN. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/haha.gif)

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest 2G (2004.5+) S40 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsEngine System Service Required .. But No Codes!
6 V70 Driver 3,861 28th August 2014 - 04:06 AM
Last post by: alanjackson
No New Posts Engine System Service Required S80 2006 2.4d
0 S60D5SE 342 13th August 2014 - 03:17 PM
Last post by: S60D5SE
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsEngine Computer Test
car runs better with vacuum tube disconnected
17 ThagSimmons 464 16th June 2014 - 01:57 AM
Last post by: danielm85948
No New Posts Engine Immobilised !
Volvo Guard Alarm playing up.
4 slicknick 647 11th January 2014 - 09:41 AM
Last post by: TheGreekMason
No New Posts Engine Electronic Lamp
2 Soft 543 31st October 2013 - 02:44 AM
Last post by: danielm85948

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 1st November 2014 - 01:06 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement