Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Ignition Switch Problems
EVRose
post Aug 24 2011, 09:37 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 94,291
Drives: '06 S40

Hello, new here.
I have an '06 S40 and it would not start. All power was on but no crank. I started to jiggle the key in the ignition while holding it in the start position and got it started. I'm thinking the ignition switch is worn. Is there a procedure available to replace it?
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
danielm85948
post Aug 24 2011, 12:11 PM
Post #2

Senior Veteran

Member No.: 74,889
Drives: volvo 940 se turbo 1991

QUOTE (EVRose @ Aug 24 2011, 10:37 AM)
Hello, new here.
I have an '06 S40 and it would not start. All power was on but no crank. I started to jiggle the key in the ignition while holding it in the start position and got it started. I'm thinking the ignition switch is worn. Is there a procedure available to replace it?

check the switch first,you will need a torch for this,remove the cover ,above your knee in the drivers footwell,on your back look up ,to see the ignition switch,or if switch under the steering wheel,remove the cover above it,you will see the plug with wiring to the switch,just pull it off,now you can see the electrical part of your ignition switch,held on by two screws,remove it,note how it is fitted,clean it with electrical cleaner,but before doing this check the screws are not loose,you may only need to tighten them,it is very rare for a switch to go ,at that age.

QuoteReply
EVRose
post Aug 24 2011, 12:50 PM
Post #3

Thank you sir! Will check that out.

QuoteReply
Platypup
post Aug 24 2011, 11:04 PM
Post #4

Senior

Member No.: 24,285
Drives: Volvo V50 T5 AWD, Toyota RAV4, MG TC, Jaguar E-type

EVRose, you seem to have developed a problem with the internal contacts in the ignition switch. Getting the engine to crank over by jiggling the key indicates the battery and starter are OK. The ignition switch on earlier (before 2007) S40/V50 Volvos was prone to giving trouble together with the steering lock mechanism as can be seen in the following links to other areas of the forum.

Because the ignition switch is on the dashboard with the steering lock disengaging electrically (when the ignition switch senses the transponder chip in the key as it is inserted) the mechanism is more complex than the older integrated ignition switch/steering lock on the steering column and hence more difficult and expensive to fix. It seems most likely only the switch will need replacing (others have had problems with the steering lock mechanism jamming and needing replacement also).

http://www.volvo-forums.com/index.php?show...ignition+switch

QuoteReply
EVRose
post Sep 3 2011, 08:10 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (Platypup @ Aug 24 2011, 11:04 PM)
EVRose, you seem to have developed a problem with the internal contacts in the ignition switch. Getting the engine to crank over by jiggling the key indicates the battery and starter are OK. The ignition switch on earlier (before 2007) S40/V50 Volvos was prone to giving trouble together with the steering lock mechanism as can be seen in the following links to other areas of the forum.

Because the ignition switch is on the dashboard with the steering lock disengaging electrically (when the ignition switch senses the transponder chip in the key as it is inserted) the mechanism is more complex than the older integrated ignition switch/steering lock on the steering column and hence more difficult and expensive to fix. It seems most likely only the switch will need replacing (others have had problems with the steering lock mechanism jamming and needing replacement also).

Thanks for the links. Interesting stuff. I actually got an ignition switch from ebay and installed it myself. Everything is back to normal.

QuoteReply
chart97
post Oct 23 2011, 11:22 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 97,259
Drives: 2004+ S40

QUOTE (EVRose @ Sep 3 2011, 08:10 PM)
Thanks for the links. Interesting stuff. I actually got an ignition switch from ebay and installed it myself. Everything is back to normal.

how'd you get your key fobs to work with the new ignition switch? specifically do you need special tools/equipment to get the key fobs in the ignition switch to recognize each other?

I have a 2004+ S40 With a key that is stuck in the ignition.

Thanks
Curt

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest 2G (2004.5+) S40 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Ignition Switch Problem
2 du907 164 25th September 2014 - 05:48 PM
Last post by: du907
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsProblems With Dashboard Air Ducts
One has a fin loose and the other has foam and a yellow-white thing
0 qwertie64982 148 28th August 2014 - 05:07 PM
Last post by: qwertie64982
No New Posts Ignition Won't Turn Past 1st Postition
5 EagleBarra 619 11th March 2014 - 08:53 PM
Last post by: Deeks
No New Posts Ignition Noise
Odd noise when ignition button is pushed
1 XC60 Italy 615 7th June 2013 - 02:27 PM
Last post by: zhann
No New Posts Problems With Grom Usb2-plus
Startup problems
0 Emil889 1,158 3rd February 2013 - 11:53 AM
Last post by: Emil889

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 26th October 2014 - 12:09 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement