Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Help! Engine Just Shut-off While Driving Down The Highway- Not Timing Belt
sugardoo
post Jun 10 2011, 10:52 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 69,830
Drives: 2004 S80

Man, I LOVE this car but so disappointed (and a little embarrassed) that it left me stranded on the side of the highway.
2004 2.9 with 90k.
I was just cruising down the highway and it just started hesitating and then completely lost power- I put it in neutral and coasted off the highway and now it sits on a side street. Right before I put it in neutral I tried to give it gas put the rpms just kept going lower and lower. Once in neutral, engine just died and coasted to a stop.
I popped open the hood- nothing unusual, no smells, nothing loose... I checked the fuel pump fuse-ok. Checked the battery connection- tight.
I let it rest for a few minutes and tried to start it up- cranked over and ran for about 1 second and suddenly died.
Here is all I know
1/2 tank of gas
engine temp was fine
no computer warning or check engine lights came on
not the timing belt as I would have heard a violent noise
I took the fuel filler cap loose and re-tightened it.
Batter is only 9 months old
fuel pump replaced by dealer 9 months ago under recall

One thing I should mention- I doubt it has anything to do with it, but my darn computer keeps saying bulb position failure and just for the hell of it i held down the reset button to see if it would go away- then the car died right after that- I'm sure its just coincidental but thought I'd mention it anyway in-case i somehow messed with the computer.

I lost my job and would like to ride my scooter to it with my tools and see if I can check/test/repair it.
Please let me know where to start at least.
Thanks!
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
sugardoo
post Jun 11 2011, 02:54 PM
Post #2

Update:
Well, I was going to do a fuel pressure check but decided to go over there on my scooter with a handful of tools first to see about doing simple things like disconnect/reconnect the battery. The first thing I did was to crank it over. It turned over normal speed and after a few seconds it wasn't starting, so I kept cranking it but now I mashed down on the accelerator and not only did it start but it kept going! It seemed to idle faster than normal for a bit then gradually went down to normal speed.
I took it for a slow test drive. It didn't idle funny and it drove fine. After the engine was at normal operating temp I gunned it a few times- no hesitation at all. Drove perfectly normal. What the ???
I'm happy I don't have to have it towed into a shop (where I feel I'm at shop's mercy) but now I obviously have an intermittent problem which are a PITA to diagnose. There are no display messages on the dash and all seems fine.
Now what should I do? take it somewhere to have it hooked up to a computer? I would think that there is a short or a sensor that is going out but not at all sure..

QuoteReply
danielm85948
post Jun 11 2011, 08:12 PM
Post #3

Senior Veteran

Member No.: 74,889
Drives: volvo 940 se turbo 1991

QUOTE (sugardoo @ Jun 11 2011, 03:54 PM)
Update:
Well, I was going to do a fuel pressure check but decided to go over there on my scooter with a handful of tools first to see about doing simple things like disconnect/reconnect the battery. The first thing I did was to crank it over. It turned over normal speed and after a few seconds it wasn't starting, so I kept cranking it but now I mashed down on the accelerator and not only did it start but it kept going! It seemed to idle faster than normal for a bit then gradually went down to normal speed.
I took it for a slow test drive. It didn't idle funny and it drove fine. After the engine was at normal operating temp I gunned it a few times- no hesitation at all. Drove perfectly normal. What the ???
I'm happy I don't have to have it towed into a shop (where I feel I'm at shop's mercy) but now I obviously have an intermittent problem which are a PITA to diagnose. There are no display messages on the dash and all seems fine.
Now what should I do? take it somewhere to have it hooked up to a computer? I would think that there is a short or a sensor that is going out but not at all sure..

change the bulb failure warning relay,it is breaking down,tripping the immobilizer,a round relay.

QuoteReply
sugardoo
post Jun 12 2011, 07:23 PM
Post #4

Wow Daniel, good call- thanks!

Do you think this is because I stupidly was holding the reset button right before it stalled or do you think it would have occurred anyway as long as that light was on?

I tried to do a search to see where that relay is located but not sure yet- is it under the hood?

QuoteReply
danielm85948
post Jun 12 2011, 08:44 PM
Post #5

Senior Veteran

QUOTE (sugardoo @ Jun 12 2011, 08:23 PM)
Wow Daniel, good call- thanks!

Do you think this is because I stupidly was holding the reset button right before it stalled or do you think it would have occurred anyway as long as that light was on?

I tried to do a search to see where that relay is located but not sure yet- is it under the hood?

as i drive the volvo 940 turbo,mine is behind the front ash tray,yours i think ,may be under the steering wheel,or side panel left or right,the positions keep changing,google bulb warning sensor,then click on relay locations,so it is a round relay,you are looking for,as for you holding the reset button would not help,but the fact your dash light is on shows the need to change it,the relay i mean.i take it you have checked ,all the bulbs are working,and more so ,your indicator bulbs,if the other lights are working,and not them,then your indicator relay is breaking down,fooling the bulb failure relay,and then tripping the mobilizer.so check all the bulbs are working first.and check the fuses.

QuoteReply
sugardoo
post Jun 13 2011, 02:11 PM
Post #6

Update:
I wanted to go around to see if I could find that relay plus
I wanted to see if I could get the computer code read. Auto part stores said if the check engine didn't come on then there will be no codes to read. Later I noticed my turn signals stopped working, and the lights on the dash are very dim. The a/c blower is stilling fine, head lights fine (brights now not working). Now I'm thinking it might be something other than the relay.
Found a volvo shop near and took it over. They said first off, the alternator is only putting out 12.5 volts. They then said they would need to keep it and do more research to see if that doesn't solve the other problems what else could be the cause.
Stay tuned..

QuoteReply
danielm85948
post Jun 13 2011, 03:59 PM
Post #7

Senior Veteran

QUOTE (sugardoo @ Jun 13 2011, 03:11 PM)
Update:
I wanted to go around to see if I could find that relay plus
I wanted to see if I could get the computer code read. Auto part stores said if the check engine didn't come on then there will be no codes to read. Later I noticed my turn signals stopped working, and the lights on the dash are very dim. The a/c blower is stilling fine, head lights fine (brights now not working). Now I'm thinking it might be something other than the relay.
Found a volvo shop near and took it over. They said first off, the alternator is only putting out 12.5 volts. They then said they would need to keep it and do more research to see if that doesn't solve the other problems what else could be the cause.
Stay tuned..

if it is only giving out 12.5 volts,the bushes will be gone in the alternator.

QuoteReply
sugardoo
post Jun 14 2011, 05:41 PM
Post #8

You still think it might be the alternator? The battery isn't being discharged plus wouldn't I get a check engine light?
summary of facts so far:
1. car has died twice now while going a steady speed.
2. when car stalls, it "shudders" briefly then engine cuts-off. No warning lights at all.
3. First time this happened car sat over-night then restarted and drove fine.
4. Later while driving several of the electrical features were not working but car could still drive.
5. mechanic did something behind fuse block and replaced fuses- car drove fine home then next day (today) same thing happened- stalled on highway at exactly the same location as before- weird!!

MAF problem or ETM malfunctioning?

My plan now is to take it to the dealer and just pay them a diagnostic fee to see what the problem is (I would like to request any stored codes on the computer) and hopefully fix myself- I'm unemployed

QuoteReply
danielm85948
post Jun 14 2011, 06:14 PM
Post #9

Senior Veteran

QUOTE (sugardoo @ Jun 14 2011, 06:41 PM)
You still think it might be the alternator? The battery isn't being discharged plus wouldn't I get a check engine light?
summary of facts so far:
1. car has died twice now while going a steady speed.
2. when car stalls, it "shudders" briefly then engine cuts-off. No warning lights at all.
3. First time this happened car sat over-night then restarted and drove fine.
4. Later while driving several of the electrical features were not working but car could still drive.
5. mechanic did something behind fuse block and replaced fuses- car drove fine home then next day (today) same thing happened- stalled on highway at exactly the same location as before- weird!!

MAF problem or ETM malfunctioning?

My plan now is to take it to the dealer and just pay them a diagnostic fee to see what the problem is (I would like to request any stored codes on the computer) and hopefully fix myself- I'm unemployed

when you get stalling,that points to fuel pump relay,but when you have only 12.5 volts,from the alternator,with radio on ,lights on,air con,all that is a drain in power,so at only 12.5 volts,it can drop to about 9.5 volts with every thing on,you can fool each of the relays,so i think change the bushes,for your alternator,you need power from there,bushes in this country cost 10,so in your country,i do not know,you get bushes from the people that do alternator rebuild.

QuoteReply
sugardoo
post Jun 14 2011, 10:52 PM
Post #10

plot thickens...

Although the gas gauge reads over half tank I decided to take a couple gallons of fuel over to it. I crank it up- no dice. Pour in the fuel and sure enough- it starts!
So I don't know what to say about the previous electrical issues- maybe that mechanic did fix that part and it was just coincidental that happened at the same time as this apparent fuel delivery problem.
So now I guess the thing to do is measure the output from the alternator, then as you say it could be fuel pump relay. Maybe bad fuel filter?
I just had the fuel pump replaced as a recall by the dealer 3 months ago.

QuoteReply
sugardoo
post Jun 16 2011, 06:31 PM
Post #11

Dealer diagnosis- "fuel tank level float stuck on a wire giving false reading"
So my gauge was saying half full but was on empty...
Not sure if this occurred because of the fuel pump recall service a few months back or not.
They didn't charge me for the diagnosis/service.

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest 1G (1998-2006) S80 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts The Volvo C70? Yae Or Nae?
0 bemshawn 25 21st November 2014 - 01:57 AM
Last post by: bemshawn
No New Posts The Importance Of Winter Wiper Blades And Glass Treatment
0 CarID 61 3rd November 2014 - 11:03 AM
Last post by: CarID
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsEngine System Service Required .. But No Codes!
6 V70 Driver 4,064 28th August 2014 - 04:06 AM
Last post by: alanjackson
No New Posts Engine System Service Required S80 2006 2.4d
0 S60D5SE 437 13th August 2014 - 03:17 PM
Last post by: S60D5SE
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsEngine Computer Test
car runs better with vacuum tube disconnected
17 ThagSimmons 531 16th June 2014 - 01:57 AM
Last post by: danielm85948

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 24th November 2014 - 01:38 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement