Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Repair Of The Volvo 940 Turbo 1991, repairing the turbo on a volvo 940 se turbo 91 ,do this for any turbo
danielm85948
post May 26 2011, 03:18 AM
Post #1

Senior Veteran

Group: Members
Member No.: 74,889
Drives: volvo 940 se turbo 1991

to all of those having trouble with the turbo,so lots of white smoke ,out the rear of the car,so next step,get a turbo repair kit,cost in the uk,58 be sure to get a new oil return seal for the pipe ,going to the crankcase,be sure to check the hose is in the hole,push the seal down in the hole on the crankcase, when you refit,on my 940 se turbo i have a clamp in the centre ,with a 10mm nut,remove it,now the fun starts, soak the join there with WD 40,leave overnight to do the job,now you need a rubber mallet ,before you do this remove the rubber hoses from there first,now try to hit the top of the turbo ,to work it out,do not use metal to do this,now you have it off ,you must clean it,remove all the carbon build up ,found on the wheel,before taking the both wheels ,front and rear,you must mark both nut shaft and wheel ,both of them ,due to balance needed,now go on you tube to watch how you remove ,and fit each part,car needed ,do not damage ,those wheels,you need large large pair of cir-clip pliers ,with gap of about 2,to 3 inches and a 10mm spanner,for the front wheel ,and a 18 sided 13 mm spanner for the back one,now to see each part as you remove it,line up ,in a row, each part as it comes off,now line up the new parts above that,clean the body of the turbo with cleaner,now you are ready to rebuild,i take it you have a copy showing each part,goes in,and you have seen and understand the you tube film on there,i did the repair in 4 hours,just taken my time doing so,you must note the pin holding the shaft from the actuator on the part of the turbo that stays on ,must be removed you have to do that first,before removing the turbo,and you must coat each part with engine oil as you replace,so you do not need a new turbo ,just get the kit and repair it,but when doing all this work change the turbo bypass valve , it will have pin holes in the diaphragm.or spilts,so replace it, cost in the UK, 7 cost of the seal ,for return pipe seal to the crankcase from volvo 4.so total cost to repair 69.
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
MattCS
post Sep 29 2011, 09:38 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 96,064
Drives: 760 & 960 & S90

QUOTE (danielm85948 @ May 26 2011, 09:18 AM)
to all of those having trouble with the turbo,so lots of white smoke ,out the rear of the car,so next step,get a turbo repair kit,cost in the uk,�58 be sure to get a new oil return seal for the pipe ,going to the crankcase,be sure to check the hose is in the hole,push the seal down in the hole on the crankcase, when you refit,on my 940 se turbo i have a clamp in the centre ,with a 10mm nut,remove it,now the fun starts, soak the join there with WD 40,leave overnight to do the job,now you need a rubber mallet ,before you do this remove the rubber hoses from there first,now try to hit the top of the turbo ,to work it out,do not use metal to do this,now you have it off ,you must clean it,remove all the carbon build up ,found on the wheel,before taking the both wheels ,front and rear,you must mark both nut shaft and wheel ,both of them ,due to balance needed,now go on you tube to watch how you remove ,and fit each part,car needed ,do not damage ,those wheels,you need large large pair of cir-clip pliers ,with gap of about 2,to 3 inches and a 10mm spanner,for the front wheel ,and a 18 sided 13 mm spanner for the back one,now to see each part as you remove it,line up ,in a row, each part as it comes off,now line up the new parts above that,clean the body of the turbo with cleaner,now you are ready to rebuild,i take it you have a copy showing each part,goes in,and you have seen and understand the you tube film on there,i did the repair in 4 hours,just taken my time doing so,you must note the pin holding the shaft from the actuator on the part of the turbo that stays on ,must be removed you have to do that first,before removing the turbo,and you must coat each part with engine oil as you replace,so you do not need a new turbo ,just get the kit and repair it,but when doing all this work change the turbo bypass valve , it will have pin holes in the diaphragm.or spilts,so replace it, cost in the UK, �7 cost of the seal ,for return pipe seal to the crankcase from volvo �4.so total cost to repair �69.

Hi danielm85948,
Also use only fully synthetic oil in the engine if you value your turbo, as mineral-based engine oil can glue up the bearings in the turbo, especially after having switched off the engine when the engine was hot, such after a fast motorway journey.
Good luck
Matt

QuoteReply
danielm85948
post Sep 29 2011, 02:22 PM
Post #3

Senior Veteran

Member No.: 74,889
Drives: volvo 940 se turbo 1991

QUOTE (MattCS @ Sep 29 2011, 10:38 AM)
Hi danielm85948,
Also use only fully synthetic oil in the engine if you value your turbo, as mineral-based engine oil can glue up the bearings in the turbo, especially after having switched off the engine when the engine was hot, such after a fast motorway journey.
Good luck
Matt

I do use only synthetic oil,not mineral based as you say ,do not use cheap oil,and due to being a turbo,it runs very hot,so I like to check the oil and water every day,and on a long trip,check the oil and water,after 250 miles, I travelled,down to Bristol from Glasgow, I found I had to add oil,being one Lt of oil,after doing 70 mph none stop for 6hours,till 45 miles from Bristol, I had to add 1 Lt of oil,and you should change the cap on the expansion bottle , I put in £70 in petrol ,full tank,so I had used £35 of petrol being half a tank,she run like a new car,that is what a repair kit for your turbo can do for you.

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest Volvo 940 & 960 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Volvo?
Why Volvo?
0 supero 230 23rd September 2014 - 08:33 PM
Last post by: supero
No New Posts Volvo V40 T4 - Knob Safety Lock
5 KONE 1,416 15th September 2014 - 01:49 AM
Last post by: masud ali
No New Posts Volvo 240gl Wagon For Sale Near Perth Wa
Volvo 240GL wagon for sale near Perth WA
0 lee_ricketts1 174 6th September 2014 - 05:43 AM
Last post by: lee_ricketts1
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsVolvo 240gl Wagon For Sale
Selling 240GL
0 lee_ricketts1 330 2nd September 2014 - 10:02 AM
Last post by: lee_ricketts1
No New Posts Volvo Forum Is Boring!
not enough participation
2 supero 321 30th August 2014 - 11:30 AM
Last post by: danielm85948

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 24th October 2014 - 04:19 PM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement