Volvo Owners Forum banner

Low Battery Warning

32K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Adamski730 
#1 ·
After listening to the radio for about 30 minutes, with the ignition key in the 0 (locked) position, I get an audible warning tone and a message saying the battery is low. The display also says that the infotainment system will shut off in 2 minutes, which it does. The service guy at my local dealer says this is not surprising as just having the key in causes other systems to run. The manual says position 1 (radio position) does not activate the engine's electrical system. Can I really not listen to the radio for longer than this?

#2 ·
As a precaution, the ICM shuts down when the battery reaches 11.8 volts at 20 degrees Celsius or at a higher voltage if a higher temperature is sensed in the battery compartment. The fan blower shuts off in 2 minutes if the engine is not running. This ensures the battery is not run down to the point where it may have trouble starting the engine. As soon as the key is inserted signals are sent to a network of interlinked modules that still continue to be active when the key is in position 0 increasing the drain on the battery, hence the increased need for this protection.

The condition, charge and temperature of the battery will determine how long the infotainment system will continue playing without the engine running. If you want to listen longer you will need to start the engine.

#3 ·
I've just purchased an XC90 and as I went to drive it off the forecourt I found the battery was dead. The guy checked the battery and said all was ok, quick jumped it and all was fine but this will happen if you leave the doors open for any length of time.

The scenario was that I had done a last check of the car and my wife had as well, we had left 2 or 3 doors open and the boot was open as well because she was changing my 4 week old daughter as well while waiting for me to complete the deal. I think the key was in the ignition as well as she had started the engine up but the then shut the engine down and left the key in. Total time was probably about 30 mins.

My question is, is this normal when just having the doors open or was it because we had left the key in the ignition? If this is normal then I might be thinking twice about the car as, with a young family it can be common to have the doors open for a while but if this might leave you stranded it doesn't seem very practical as a family car. If I just need to remember to take the key out of the ignition or leave the engine running, if I want to play the radio or run the air con then I can live with that.

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
From what you described it sounds like the battery was almost completely discharged before you bought the car. This would have caused the battery to flatten very quickly from even a small current drain from the courtesy lights being on for only a short while, leaving insufficient charge to turn over the starter motor. It is likely the battery had not been charged (or the car run) for some time before you bought the car or possibly the battery was almost at the end of its life. The car may also have a problem with the charging system. I presume the car was not new.

The problem is therefore most likely with the battery and has nothing to do with the car, presuming it is charging correctly and there is no abnormal current drain. The time it takes for a battery to fully discharge will depend on its capacity, state of charge and age, and of course the discharge current and this is irrespective of what car it is fitted to. It should be relatively simple & cheap to have the battery & charging system checked.

#5 ·
Thanks for the quick reply.

So far, I picked it up on Friday, the battery hasn't died on us again. The mechanic at the garage I picked it up from did check the battery and swear it was ok (he would say that I know but I am fairly sure he is trustworthy) I did get the low battery warning come up on the dash info display but that was after I had been playing about with the built in DVD system so I am betting that would drain a battery fairly quickly.

Fingers crossed it was a one off for the reasons you say.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.