Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> 850 Crankcase Ventilation School Me
spoonfeA4
post Mar 1 2011, 04:42 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 86,264
Drives: 1998 Audi A4 Quattro (modded) 1988 Audi 90 Quattro 1999 VW jetta (perma-turd)

I apologize for my lack of knowledge about Volvo's, I am a Audi/VW guy. However my friend owns a 850GLT, and he has asked me to fix it for him. Right now it is consuming high amounts of oil (no apparent leaks). I have been reading that once the crankcase ventilation system gets dirty on these particular cars they begin to consume large amounts of oil. Is this true at all? If so what all should I replace? Any tips for doing this? Or am i totally off track? Once again I apologize for my lack of knowledge. I wanted to get an opinion from you volvo guys. Thanks in advanced
~Kyle
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
danielm85948
post Mar 1 2011, 05:46 PM
Post #2

Senior Veteran

Member No.: 74,889
Drives: volvo 940 se turbo 1991

QUOTE (spoonfeA4 @ Mar 1 2011, 05:42 PM)
I apologize for my lack of knowledge about Volvo's, I am a Audi/VW guy. However my friend owns a 850GLT, and he has asked me to fix it for him. Right now it is consuming high amounts of oil (no apparent leaks). I have been reading that once the crankcase ventilation system gets dirty on these particular cars they begin to consume large amounts of oil. Is this true at all? If so what all should I replace? Any tips for doing this? Or am i totally off track? Once again I apologize for my lack of knowledge. I wanted to get an opinion from you volvo guys. Thanks in advanced
~Kyle

are you getting white smoke out the back,if you are ,you need to check for play in the turbo,and check for leaks in the turbo boast diaphragm,check the inter-cooler may need to drain it ,if this has not been done ,just goggle cleaning crankcase breather,it will come up here on the forum,when you clean the crank case breather,take off and clean all of it not just one part being the nipple, all hoses must be cleaned,going down to small back box in the crank case and that box.you can use power wash cleaner,fluid only, the black box is the oil separator

QuoteReply
spoonfeA4
post Mar 1 2011, 06:13 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 86,264
Drives: 1998 Audi A4 Quattro (modded) 1988 Audi 90 Quattro 1999 VW jetta (perma-turd)

Hey Thanks for the feedback I forget to mention, it is a naturally aspirated model.

QuoteReply
SeaMike
post Mar 1 2011, 08:22 PM
Post #4

Senior Veteran
Group Icon

Group: Super Mod
Member No.: 33,827
Drives: 1995 Volvo 850 GLE (Canada Car), Automatic

QUOTE (spoonfeA4 @ Mar 1 2011, 03:42 PM)
~Kyle

With the car totally warmed up and engine running at idle, pull the oil dipstick up 1 1/2 inch.... do you see smoke coming from the tube?

Look at this link, even though it is a turbo, it will be very similar.
http://lakesidedp.com/uploadpics/pcv/

Here is a good place to get the complete kit.
http://www.fcpgroton.com/category-exec/cat...1136/by_year/45

Mike

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest Volvo 850 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts 850 Wagon
idel rough very poor excelleration
4 Dwh850Wagon 778 31st August 2013 - 03:13 PM
Last post by: Kiss4aFrog
No New Posts 850 Trip Computer
9 lockett 1,863 13th August 2013 - 06:34 PM
Last post by: CLMossJr
No New Posts Topic has attachments850 Keyless Remote(s) Won't Reprogramme
850 keyless remote programming
10 apprentice3 1,110 16th July 2013 - 02:10 PM
Last post by: Kiss4aFrog
No New Posts Message Reduce Speed Or Shift Up.
7 VolvoDownunder 1,076 8th May 2013 - 05:57 AM
Last post by: VolvoDownunder
No New Posts 850 Odometer Broken - But Not The Gear!
lots of contribs on changing this little gear - but mine was not broke
2 Toni_volvo 970 20th April 2013 - 04:21 PM
Last post by: Toni_volvo

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 21st October 2014 - 10:04 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement