Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Engine Cranks But Won't Fire
kippwimmer
post Feb 23 2011, 07:35 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 86,017
Drives: 2001 volvo XC70

Help! I have a '01 XC70 with 100,000 miles on it. Drove it last with no problems, parked it. The following day the car cranks but won't fire. Tried pulling codes with a scan tool, and no codes show up. Tried locking/unlocking 5 times (maybe immobilizer??), no start. Tried other keys, no start. No immobilizer message, but could that still be the culprit? It just has me baffled and I am an hour plus from the closest dealer. If I could figure this out I would greatly appreciate any help. I love the car and this problem really has me stumped. Thank you!
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
Vermont
post Feb 23 2011, 09:29 PM
Post #2

Senior

Member No.: 80,050
Drives: 2002 Volvo S60

How cold a part of the USA are you located in ?

How old is that timing belt on the 100,000 mile vehicle ?

QuoteReply
kippwimmer
post Feb 24 2011, 08:55 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 86,017
Drives: 2001 volvo XC70

I am in VA--not that cold lately-upper 20s as a low, 50s during the day. Age of timing belt is unknown. any way to differentiate symptoms of immobilizer and timing with no codes showing up?

QuoteReply
Vermont
post Feb 24 2011, 10:02 AM
Post #4

Senior

Member No.: 80,050
Drives: 2002 Volvo S60

100,000 would be a long time if it's the original belt. Wouldn't they recommend a change-out at 50,000 or so ? I go 80,000 and I'm gambling with fate.

I only ask about weather conditions because I once had a belt break when trying to start the vehicle at -20F, and there was just too much resistance for the old belt.

Does the sound of its cranking sound different? (faster?) Could you pull a plug and do a quick compression test . . . . just to see if the camshaft is turning ? Maybe on your engine, you can get a view of the Timing Belt and see if it's moving; which at least tells you it's not broken, but it could have lost a tooth or jumped.

But I don't know . . . . just tossing out some ideas that others can criticize. I'm no mechanic . . . . except in an emergency.

QuoteReply
danielm85948
post Mar 1 2011, 06:14 PM
Post #5

Senior Veteran

Member No.: 74,889
Drives: volvo 940 se turbo 1991

QUOTE (kippwimmer @ Feb 23 2011, 08:35 PM)
Help! I have a '01 XC70 with 100,000 miles on it. Drove it last with no problems, parked it. The following day the car cranks but won't fire. Tried pulling codes with a scan tool, and no codes show up. Tried locking/unlocking 5 times (maybe immobilizer??), no start. Tried other keys, no start. No immobilizer message, but could that still be the culprit? It just has me baffled and I am an hour plus from the closest dealer. If I could figure this out I would greatly appreciate any help. I love the car and this problem really has me stumped. Thank you!

take off the oil filler cap on your rocker cover,can you see if the cams are turning on your cam shaft ,if so timing belt still on, clean and dry your plugs round your coil ,and the contacts on your battery may be wet and your distributor cap ,again may be wet.and check your idle control valve it may be sticking due to dirt ,clean with calb cleaner.change the fuel pump relay

QuoteReply
rpward
post Apr 4 2011, 05:06 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 87,701
Drives: 2002 Volvo V70

QUOTE (kippwimmer @ Feb 23 2011, 08:35 PM)

Don't know if this helps, but I had a similar recurring problem with 2002 V70. Had it towed to my mechanic and when it came off the flatbed it started (?!). Mechanic thought it might be a sticky solenoid in the fuel pump and the "bumping" related to loading/unloading un-froze it. Has since recurred twice, and jumping on the back bumper solves the problem.

QuoteReply
Mountman
post May 23 2011, 03:58 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 89,830
Drives: 2003 Volvo S60

QUOTE (Vermont @ Feb 24 2011, 11:02 AM)
100,000 would be a long time if it's the original belt. Wouldn't they recommend a change-out at 50,000 or so ? I go 80,000 and I'm gambling with fate.

I only ask about weather conditions because I once had a belt break when trying to start the vehicle at -20F, and there was just too much resistance for the old belt.

Does the sound of its cranking sound different? (faster?) Could you pull a plug and do a quick compression test . . . . just to see if the camshaft is turning ? Maybe on your engine, you can get a view of the Timing Belt and see if it's moving; which at least tells you it's not broken, but it could have lost a tooth or jumped.

But I don't know . . . . just tossing out some ideas that others can criticize. I'm no mechanic . . . . except in an emergency.

I am in the process of getting my S60 fixed. It started, I drove 300-400 ft. and the engine just shut off ('03 w/ 110K). The keys turn and the igniter gets going but the engine isn't turning over. My mechanic checked the wiring under the pedals and is currently checking the sensor that is on top of the gas tank. If it isn't that then he'll check the fuel pump since the engine isn't getting anything w/ a full tank. I'll keep you posted.

Timing belts vary on vehicles, but my belt was suggested to be replaced at 105K. For a $600-900 job, thank God it's only every 100K!

QuoteReply
Mountman
post May 27 2011, 12:09 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 89,830
Drives: 2003 Volvo S60

Update: After my mechanic looked all week for the issue with my car, he changed the control module associated with the gas tank. This didn't get my car started, yet he did say that the fuel pump was working. Relays also worked. I will post again when I get an update/fix.

Update 2: Bear with me on this since I'm not a mechanic. A tube that is in the fuel tank became unattached and that is why the engine was not getting gas. The tube suctions onto its port, but for some reason a dimple was on there, which allowed for the tube to slip off and put gas right back into the tank. Securing with a slip tie so it never does it again. Car works fine.

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest 2G (2001-2007) V70, V70XC & XC70 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsEngine System Service Required .. But No Codes!
6 V70 Driver 4,084 28th August 2014 - 04:06 AM
Last post by: alanjackson
No New Posts Engine System Service Required S80 2006 2.4d
0 S60D5SE 440 13th August 2014 - 03:17 PM
Last post by: S60D5SE
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsEngine Computer Test
car runs better with vacuum tube disconnected
17 ThagSimmons 540 16th June 2014 - 01:57 AM
Last post by: danielm85948
No New Posts Crankshaft Pulley Torque
0 Benjamin3333 236 29th May 2014 - 10:41 PM
Last post by: Benjamin3333
No New Posts Engine Immobilised !
Volvo Guard Alarm playing up.
4 slicknick 697 11th January 2014 - 09:41 AM
Last post by: TheGreekMason

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 27th November 2014 - 07:10 PM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement