Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Replacement Key
Carolina Girl
post Feb 17 2011, 10:23 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 85,728
Drives: 2004 Volvo C70

We just bought a 2004 C70 - love it - with only 34,000 miles on it. The car is beautiful and runs great. The dealer where we bought the car only had one key and one key fob. Do extra keys have to be bought at a Volvo dealership and what is the approximate cost? My husband is always misplacing his keys so I need more than just
the one. Thanks.
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
MKC70
post Feb 18 2011, 07:42 AM
Post #2

Expert

Member No.: 23,913
Drives: 1999 Volvo C70 coupe

QUOTE (Carolina Girl @ Feb 17 2011, 10:23 AM)
We just bought a 2004 C70 - love it - with only 34,000 miles on it. The car is beautiful and runs great. The dealer where we bought the car only had one key and one key fob. Do extra keys have to be bought at a Volvo dealership and what is the approximate cost? My husband is always misplacing his keys so I need more than just
the one. Thanks.

Most likely dealer only, unless you find somebody with a Volvo key coder. Check and make sure you have the normal key for start/door/trunk/glovebox and not the valet key start/door. Unless the ignition has been changed then the VIN should be all you need to get a new one. Never bought or priced one, but I would wager you spending ~$140. Hopefully they give you a deal on one, gl.

QuoteReply
Carolina Girl
post Feb 22 2011, 11:58 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 85,728
Drives: 2004 Volvo C70

Bought the replacement key at the Volvo dealership. The key and the key fob cost $295.00. We had to take the car in because they had to reprogram something and had to reprogram the existing key also. Cost a lot but I feel so much better now that we have two keys.

QuoteReply
Rev Dennis
post Mar 10 2011, 04:37 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 82,442
Drives: C70 Convertible

QUOTE (Carolina Girl @ Feb 22 2011, 11:58 AM)
Bought the replacement key at the Volvo dealership. The key and the key fob cost $295.00. We had to take the car in because they had to reprogram something and had to reprogram the existing key also. Cost a lot but I feel so much better now that we have two keys.

$295 for a key is freakin' ridiculous. All because of the insurance companies! We pay so they don't have to!!!!

QuoteReply
MKC70
post Mar 11 2011, 09:02 PM
Post #5

Expert

Member No.: 23,913
Drives: 1999 Volvo C70 coupe

QUOTE (Rev Dennis @ Mar 10 2011, 05:37 PM)
$295 for a key is freakin' ridiculous. All because of the insurance companies! We pay so they don't have to!!!!

True, but that price also included a keyless entry remote.

QuoteReply
RatFace
post Apr 2 2011, 11:30 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 87,628
Drives: 1985 BMW 635CSi

QUOTE (Rev Dennis @ Mar 10 2011, 05:37 PM)

Yeah, they're stiff! But I don't think its the insurance companies as much as it is Volvo Corporate and dealership greed. All these new keys with the voo-doo 'chips' implanted to talk to the sensor in the key hole? Its obscene! My son's 528i came with one key from the PO (private, no dealer), and the key was butt ugly and only worked remotely intermittently though it always started the car. No, it wasn't the valet key. We ordered a new, complete key with the built-in remote, and a new lighted but non-remote key with the Roundel Logo. Very handsome. The full remote key, came cut from the 'factory' but needed programming locally. The non-remote key was $75 plus 'programming' for another $80. The full remote was $140 with the programming another $80. So, we coughed up a lot or money just to feel like 'Real' car owners and just tried not to stare too hard. The 'tech' at the dealership really looked right at home as he sat in the car, locked both doors, with the lock button held down for 3 seconds or some such HS, then strutted out of the car triumphantly and revelled in working the remote back and forth so we could all hear the 'Squeal' of the whistle device and watch the parking and brake lights 'Wink' at us, as if to snicker at the saps who just made payroll for one of their car washers![font="Microsoft Sans Serif"][/font] Greed! But it all works to this day! Ain't life Grand?

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest Volvo C70 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Key Will Not Turn In Ignition
0 Dominick 92 8th October 2014 - 03:56 PM
Last post by: Dominick
No New Posts Replacement Tires ?
Looking for new tires
2 supero 378 12th August 2014 - 07:05 PM
Last post by: supero
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsKey Fob Only
Passenger door locks / unlocks
5 j6tuc 1,052 21st January 2014 - 12:26 AM
Last post by: Kiss4aFrog
No New Posts Key Replacement 99' S80
0 jmellenthin 697 25th April 2013 - 08:11 AM
Last post by: jmellenthin
No New Posts Key Out Of Car Alert?
1 Juntunen34 970 6th April 2013 - 03:14 AM
Last post by: grendel1960

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 24th October 2014 - 01:59 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement