Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> '97 940 Cd Lpt Fuel Consumption And Idle Troubles
robinjhorn
post Feb 13 2011, 09:43 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 81,245
Drives: 1997 940 CD

Hi there,

I've got a 1997 Volvo 940 CD LPT 2.3 petrol(as far as i can tell making it a B230FK lump) and have got some serious fuel consumption woes. I bought the car in Newcastle and made it back to Edinburgh on 30 fuel which is pretty much exactly what i expected.
The cars done 196,000 miles with a dealer service history up to 100,000 and 80,000 gap in service history from there onwards. The previous owner had fitted a new lambda sensor and a second hand MAF (assured it was a good one) within the year before me buying the car and also replaced all the ancilliary belts. The Lambda light was on but as he had said this is a common problem as the ECU is often not disconnected long enough to wipe the fault codes.

So when i got back to Edinburgh i was having a good look at the engine as it had begun to idle erraticly (spluttery and stalling or up at 1500-2000rpm) not long after buying it. The exhaust was only held on to the Turbo by one bolt and was gaping open..(!) tightened that up got plenty crappy black smoke out of the exhaust, filled the tank and put some injector cleaner in with it. fitted new air filter as old one was filthy, one of the HT leads was loose on the plug so got a new set of those too.

Still idling badly so checked this forum, saw that throttle assembly gets clogged up and struggles to breathe on idle so i took that apart and sure enough cleaned out the filth from assembly.

I noticed at this point that the intake hoses were coated in oil but didnt know if this was the normal amount for the mileage. Adjusted the throttle position switch properly, tweaked the idle adjustment screw right back and this surely made things better but still idling at 900 (at cold start only) or usually 1200-1500rpm.

Turbo was very oily on outside so just took all the hoses off to clean out today and the inside of the turbo is very oily. cleaned up as best i could with turbo still in place, cleaned out the air idle control valve too and took it out for a run. felt a little better but when i got back and re- checked the turbo (after it had cooled) the inside was already quite oily and the what looks like the water inlet thingy was leaking oil from the side.

According to the haynes manual, when adjusting the idle, clamping the idle air control feed pipe to restrict it should take the idle from 750 to 500rpm and you should THEN tweak the idle adjust screw until its at a steady 500. Crucially, before cleaning out the hoses and turbo doing this didnt affect the idle at all but did (however only momentarily) afterwards.

I've recently changed the MAF and Lambda sensors for new units which got rid of the lambda light and i'd fitted new ht leads and air filter put an injector flush through it when id discovered the loose exhaust.

I drove to aberdeen at xmas Same distance as Newcastle-Edinburgh and it cost me 45 when i was really driving economically. By my calculations i'm getting about 13mpg which is making me very very poor and sad.

It looks like im going to have to rebuild the turbo (that or sell it) which is going to cost at least 80 but i think the intercooler, inlet manifold and all associated hoses will need a good clean out (hopefully the exhaust isn't in need of a flush too...)

I bought this car for 500 have already spent bout 250 (what i'd expected i'd need to spend) and at this point am unsure whether i want to tackle the turbo problem or just get shot of it. I cant afford to really spend the time on it and not get the fuel economy closer to 20mpg as im using this car for work. Does anyone have any experience of Turbo overhauls, flushing out intercoolers (i have no idea about this) and the effect on fuel economy this may have?

Bit of an epic there but i figured the more info the better.

On a side note my fuel gauge is running back to front (with a new sender unit) and only covering a third of the tanks capacity. Any ideas on that one?

Still love this car and dont want to let it go...

Thanks,
Robin.
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
danielm85948
post Feb 13 2011, 09:58 AM
Post #2

Senior Veteran

Member No.: 74,889
Drives: volvo 940 se turbo 1991

QUOTE (robinjhorn @ Feb 13 2011, 10:43 AM)
Hi there,

I've got a 1997 Volvo 940 CD LPT 2.3 petrol(as far as i can tell making it a B230FK lump) and have got some serious fuel consumption woes. I bought the car in Newcastle and made it back to Edinburgh on 30 fuel which is pretty much exactly what i expected.
The cars done 196,000 miles with a dealer service history up to 100,000 and 80,000 gap in service history from there onwards. The previous owner had fitted a new lambda sensor and a second hand MAF (assured it was a good one) within the year before me buying the car and also replaced all the ancilliary belts. The Lambda light was on but as he had said this is a common problem as the ECU is often not disconnected long enough to wipe the fault codes.

So when i got back to Edinburgh i was having a good look at the engine as it had begun to idle erraticly (spluttery and stalling or up at 1500-2000rpm) not long after buying it. The exhaust was only held on to the Turbo by one bolt and was gaping open..(!) tightened that up got plenty crappy black smoke out of the exhaust, filled the tank and put some injector cleaner in with it. fitted new air filter as old one was filthy, one of the HT leads was loose on the plug so got a new set of those too.

Still idling badly so checked this forum, saw that throttle assembly gets clogged up and struggles to breathe on idle so i took that apart and sure enough cleaned out the filth from assembly.

I noticed at this point that the intake hoses were coated in oil but didnt know if this was the normal amount for the mileage. Adjusted the throttle position switch properly, tweaked the idle adjustment screw right back and this surely made things better but still idling at 900 (at cold start only) or usually 1200-1500rpm.

Turbo was very oily on outside so just took all the hoses off to clean out today and the inside of the turbo is very oily. cleaned up as best i could with turbo still in place, cleaned out the air idle control valve too and took it out for a run. felt a little better but when i got back and re- checked the turbo (after it had cooled) the inside was already quite oily and the what looks like the water inlet thingy was leaking oil from the side.

According to the haynes manual, when adjusting the idle, clamping the idle air control feed pipe to restrict it should take the idle from 750 to 500rpm and you should THEN tweak the idle adjust screw until its at a steady 500. Crucially, before cleaning out the hoses and turbo doing this didnt affect the idle at all but did (however only momentarily) afterwards.

I've recently changed the MAF and Lambda sensors for new units which got rid of the lambda light and i'd fitted new ht leads and air filter put an injector flush through it when id discovered the loose exhaust.

I drove to aberdeen at xmas Same distance as Newcastle-Edinburgh and it cost me 45 when i was really driving economically. By my calculations i'm getting about 13mpg which is making me very very poor and sad.

It looks like im going to have to rebuild the turbo (that or sell it) which is going to cost at least 80 but i think the intercooler, inlet manifold and all associated hoses will need a good clean out (hopefully the exhaust isn't in need of a flush too...)

I bought this car for 500 have already spent bout 250 (what i'd expected i'd need to spend) and at this point am unsure whether i want to tackle the turbo problem or just get shot of it. I cant afford to really spend the time on it and not get the fuel economy closer to 20mpg as im using this car for work. Does anyone have any experience of Turbo overhauls, flushing out intercoolers (i have no idea about this) and the effect on fuel economy this may have?

Bit of an epic there but i figured the more info the better.

On a side note my fuel gauge is running back to front (with a new sender unit) and only covering a third of the tanks capacity. Any ideas on that one?

Still love this car and dont want to let it go...

Thanks,
Robin.

it cost me 55 to get the kit to rebuild my turbo,about 4 hours work.i got my kit from turbo place in blackpool.

QuoteReply
robinjhorn
post Feb 14 2011, 07:42 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 81,245
Drives: 1997 940 CD

Hi daniel,

thanks for the reply ive gotten a quote of 59.00 and free postage online which i think i may have to try.

I reckon im also gonna have to clean out the inlet manifold which im not sure if it will need a new gasket or if i could get away with being careful...

Couple of questions for you tho:

Did you have to flush out the intercooler (or exhaust?) and if so how did you do it?

Also what kind of milage were you getting before and after the rebuild or did you notice a marked improvement.

I need about at least a 2/3rds improvement on mpg ( from 13 to hopefully nearer 20) for this to be worth my while. Obviously this is dependant on the individual car and so on...

QuoteReply
eternalstudent
post Feb 14 2011, 11:35 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 85,526
Drives: 960 - 3.0i 24V 1991

QUOTE (robinjhorn @ Feb 14 2011, 08:42 AM)
Hi daniel,

thanks for the reply ive gotten a quote of 59.00 and free postage online which i think i may have to try.

I reckon im also gonna have to clean out the inlet manifold which im not sure if it will need a new gasket or if i could get away with being careful...

Did you have to flush out the intercooler (or exhaust?) and if so how did you do it?

Also what kind of milage were you getting before and after the rebuild or did you notice a marked improvement.

I need about at least a 2/3rds improvement on mpg ( from 13 to hopefully nearer 20) for this to be worth my while. Obviously this is dependant on the individual car and so on...

Yes you will need to flush out the intercooler, if the turbo has been pushing oil out you will find a lot of it in their. It is not a hard job. I used a light spirit to clean it all out. You will be amazed at the amount of oil they can collect.

I have a turbo refurb kit that I never put on my 940 (not only the turbo had been screwed but so had the piston seals so I gave up on it) if you want to buy it (I ain't looking for much but and it would be nice to have it used) send me a PM.

As for mpg, mine did 26 mpg on the run between newcastle and dundee on a regular basis driving at sensible speeds. If I went the whole way at 60 (very hard) I could get about 28. Around town it was more like 18 - 22.

hope this is

QuoteReply
danielm85948
post Feb 14 2011, 12:28 PM
Post #5

Senior Veteran

Member No.: 74,889
Drives: volvo 940 se turbo 1991

QUOTE (robinjhorn @ Feb 14 2011, 08:42 AM)
Hi daniel,

you need to flush out the inter-cooler,remove the two hoses,remove the two brackets,on the top,of it ,push the radiator back,and lift out the inter cooler,flush with power wash cleaner,let it sit,for an hour ,then shake it about ,let the cleaner do the work,as for MPG i get about 28 ,but car is faster,and runs better,it runs like a new car,put a fuel cleaner in the tank,clean your hoses with calb cleaner and the air flow meter,or the dirt will make it stick,when you take off the hose for the inlet manifold,clean there with calb cleaner,and check the turbo boast diaphagm for holes and replace cost 7 from same place as turbo repair kit,replace the seal,on the oil return pipe ,you must push the seal in to the crankcase while it is fitted to the return pipe,and check and clean your spark plugs,go on google for view of turbo repair,it will help you do the work.cost of the seal is 4.50 must get it from volvo dealer only part.you will not need to take off the inlet manifold,the tank cleaner will do that,watch when you remove the turbo,this is why i say go on google to see what you need to do,message me if you need more information on removing the turbo.

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest Volvo 940 & 960 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Cd Changer Error Code
Won't play any CDs, shows E-2
4 SupremeBeing 5,159 18th April 2014 - 07:01 PM
Last post by: TurboRed
No New Posts 940 Td Temp Needle Wont Rise
Advice requested what to check first
3 Conrad 287 16th April 2014 - 01:42 PM
Last post by: Conrad
No New Posts Fueling Problems
5 mong man 300 6th April 2014 - 02:53 PM
Last post by: danielm85948
No New Posts Pinned: Troubleshooting Guide To Volvo 240 No-starts And Stalls
13 robert240 32,183 22nd March 2014 - 04:20 AM
Last post by: danielm85948
No New Posts Fuel Pump Relay?
740 fuel pump relay bad?
3 testrat 413 24th February 2014 - 10:12 PM
Last post by: highvoltj

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 25th July 2014 - 06:18 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement