Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Abs Light On And Off - Can't Figure Out Why
bobthebuilder
post Feb 12 2011, 10:40 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 84,765
Drives: 95 Volvo 850 GLT

I have a 1997 Volvo 850 non-turbo that I just bought from a friend. Car is in great shape with less than 100K on it. The ABS light was on when I got it, and the friend had been driving it that way for a while. Two days after taking delivery, the speedo and odometer went out. I ordered a rebuilt ABS from Matt. That fixed the speedo and the odometer, and for about 30 minutes, the ABS light stayed off after initial start up. But now, while the ABS light goes off after start up, if you press the throttle aggressively, the light comes on and stays on until the next restart. If you are real easy on the throttle it will mostly stay off. I swapped the front sensors with a donor 1995 850GLT that I know had good sensors - made no difference. I have not yet swapped the rear sensors.

I happened to notice that the 1997 has 205/60R15 tires, which is one size larger than what's on the sticker on the gas flap. Would that cause the ABS to come on? I'm thinking it wouldn't affect the ABS if all 4 tires are the same size, which they are. I hate to change tires as the car has brand new Kumho's on it. I could as a test swap the rims and tires off the 1995 donor (195/60R15), but don't want to do that unless it is a likely cause of my ABS problem.

Any thoughts on where I should go next?

Thanks for your feedback.
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
SeaMike
post Feb 12 2011, 11:05 PM
Post #2

Senior Veteran
Group Icon

Group: Super Mod
Member No.: 33,827
Drives: 1995 Volvo 850 GLE (Canada Car), Automatic

QUOTE (bobthebuilder @ Feb 12 2011, 09:40 PM)
I have a 1997 Volvo 850 non-turbo that I just bought from a friend. Car is in great shape with less than 100K on it. The ABS light was on when I got it, and the friend had been driving it that way for a while. Two days after taking delivery, the speedo and odometer went out. I ordered a rebuilt ABS from Matt. That fixed the speedo and the odometer, and for about 30 minutes, the ABS light stayed off after initial start up. But now, while the ABS light goes off after start up, if you press the throttle aggressively, the light comes on and stays on until the next restart. If you are real easy on the throttle it will mostly stay off. I swapped the front sensors with a donor 1995 850GLT that I know had good sensors - made no difference. I have not yet swapped the rear sensors.

I happened to notice that the 1997 has 205/60R15 tires, which is one size larger than what's on the sticker on the gas flap. Would that cause the ABS to come on? I'm thinking it wouldn't affect the ABS if all 4 tires are the same size, which they are. I hate to change tires as the car has brand new Kumho's on it. I could as a test swap the rims and tires off the 1995 donor (195/60R15), but don't want to do that unless it is a likely cause of my ABS problem.

Any thoughts on where I should go next?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,

So you need to pull the codes.

No, swapping the tires will not cause the ABS light to come on if you swap them.

Tell me what you mean by "aggressively" Are you doing BURN out? Smoking the front tires?

If so, then yes the abs light will come on.

If the front tires are moving, and the back tires are NOT them it triggers the ABS that something is acting up...because the computer can't figure out why the back tires are NOT moving.

QuoteReply
bobthebuilder
post Feb 12 2011, 11:12 PM
Post #3

QUOTE (SeaMike @ Feb 13 2011, 12:05 AM)
Hi,

So you need to pull the codes.

No, swapping the tires will not cause the ABS light to come on if you swap them.

Tell me what you mean by "aggressively" Are you doing BURN out? Smoking the front tires?

If so, then yes the abs light will come on.

If the front tires are moving, and the back tires are NOT them it triggers the ABS that something is acting up...because the computer can't figure out why the back tires are NOT moving.

The check engine light is not on and my OBDII scanner says no codes. No, I'm not doing a burn out! I'm pressing the accelerator may half way or so, going in a straight line on dry pavement. No wheel spin. Similar to what you'd do on a freeway entrance ramp. It didn't take much for the ABS light to come on.

QuoteReply
SeaMike
post Feb 12 2011, 11:41 PM
Post #4

Senior Veteran
Group Icon

QUOTE (bobthebuilder @ Feb 12 2011, 10:12 PM)
The check engine light is not on and my OBDII scanner says no codes. No, I'm not doing a burn out! I'm pressing the accelerator may half way or so, going in a straight line on dry pavement. No wheel spin. Similar to what you'd do on a freeway entrance ramp. It didn't take much for the ABS light to come on.

Okay,

That is weird, no codes show up. Does your scanner pull OBD II codes?

Check the connector for the speedometer....if it is acting up....that may confuse the computer. See PFD for Vehicle Speed Sensor.

Take the sensor out, clean it, look at it for any damage signs, heck you may even want to check the Ohm's on it.... it may be off enough to mess with the ABS, but not off enough to throw a code.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  AutoTransDiagnosis_1995_850.pdf ( 306.5K ) Number of downloads: 27

QuoteReply
bobthebuilder
post Feb 13 2011, 09:30 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (SeaMike @ Feb 12 2011, 11:41 PM)
Okay,

That is weird, no codes show up. Does your scanner pull OBD II codes?

Check the connector for the speedometer....if it is acting up....that may confuse the computer. See PFD for Vehicle Speed Sensor.

Take the sensor out, clean it, look at it for any damage signs, heck you may even want to check the Ohm's on it.... it may be off enough to mess with the ABS, but not off enough to throw a code.

I have an Actron ODBII scanner than does pull those codes. I noticed today that the check engine light does not come on momentarily when you first turn the key. All the other lights come on. It is probably just a burned out bulb, but I wonder, since it's odd that no codes show, could something else prevent the check engine light and code capture to not work?

The connector for the speedometer - are you referring to the vehicle speed sensor? I did take it out, clean and inspect it, and reinstall, checking the connection. I did this several days ago, so the ohms were not checked. I can go back and do this if needed. The speedo seems to be working as it should.

QuoteReply
SeaMike
post Feb 13 2011, 10:35 PM
Post #6

Senior Veteran
Group Icon

QUOTE (bobthebuilder @ Feb 13 2011, 08:30 PM)
I have an Actron ODBII scanner than does pull those codes. I noticed today that the check engine light does not come on momentarily when you first turn the key. All the other lights come on. It is probably just a burned out bulb, but I wonder, since it's odd that no codes show, could something else prevent the check engine light and code capture to not work?

The connector for the speedometer - are you referring to the vehicle speed sensor? I did take it out, clean and inspect it, and reinstall, checking the connection. I did this several days ago, so the ohms were not checked. I can go back and do this if needed. The speedo seems to be working as it should.

Hey, I would change all the bulbs in the dash.

I have a Actron OBD II scanner myself.

Not all things throw codes....and something must mess up very frequent for a code to be thrown.

I would still check the Ohm's on all those items. Better to be safe...than to spend months looking for something that can drive you crazy.

QuoteReply
grendel1960
post Feb 15 2011, 06:14 PM
Post #7

Veteran

Member No.: 16,314
Drives: 92 volvo 440, 91 volvo 940

I had a problem with my ABS light coming on after 15mins driving, replaced the front sensors, ok on the test drive next drive light on again, eventually tried something I read somewhere, two thicknesses of corrugated card between the abs pump housing and the connector - lights off and not appeared again since.
Grendel

QuoteReply
bobthebuilder
post Feb 15 2011, 09:25 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (grendel1960 @ Feb 15 2011, 06:14 PM)
I had a problem with my ABS light coming on after 15mins driving, replaced the front sensors, ok on the test drive next drive light on again, eventually tried something I read somewhere, two thicknesses of corrugated card between the abs pump housing and the connector - lights off and not appeared again since.
Grendel

I'm game to try it, but I'm not quite sure where the cardboard goes. Is it between the ABS controller and bottom of the brake unit where all the little piston things are?

QuoteReply
grendel1960
post Feb 16 2011, 02:22 PM
Post #9

Veteran

No, its to the side where the connector firts, it just wedges between the pump housing and the connector, if it takes longer than 5 seconds to fit its in the wrong place- if you hang on I will try and get a photo.
Grendel

QuoteReply
grendel1960
post Feb 16 2011, 02:37 PM
Post #10

Veteran

here you go
Attached File(s)
Attached File  IMG_0518small.jpg ( 123.31K ) Number of downloads: 121

QuoteReply
bobthebuilder
post Feb 24 2011, 10:14 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (grendel1960 @ Feb 16 2011, 02:37 PM)
here you go

Okay, now it makes sense. Strange, but the light no longer comes on, so for now I am assuming it is fixed. Gonna take it out one rainy day and slam the brakes on to make sure the ABS is in fact working.

QuoteReply
srlockyer
post Jul 4 2011, 06:41 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 91,746
Drives: 1998 Volvo S70 T5

QUOTE (grendel1960 @ Feb 16 2011, 03:22 PM)
No, its to the side where the connector firts, it just wedges between the pump housing and the connector, if it takes longer than 5 seconds to fit its in the wrong place- if you hang on I will try and get a photo.
Grendel

I have had this ABS light on for almost 5 years, I tried the fix and now the light is off and the ABS is working! Thanks for saving me $600!

QuoteReply
RedDevil850R97
post Jul 13 2011, 05:05 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 92,074
Drives: Volvo 850 R 1997

QUOTE (grendel1960 @ Feb 16 2011, 03:22 PM)
Grendel

Mr.
I'm really grateful for your advice, I directed and led at least two days with the ABS well (IMG:style_emoticons/default/57.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/haha.gif) thank you very much (IMG:style_emoticons/default/haha.gif)
Greetings from Chile (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grin.gif)

QuoteReply
SeaMike
post Jul 13 2011, 06:36 PM
Post #14

Senior Veteran
Group Icon

QUOTE (RedDevil850R97 @ Jul 13 2011, 05:05 PM)
Mr.
I'm really grateful for your advice, I directed and led at least two days with the ABS well (IMG:style_emoticons/default/57.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/haha.gif) thank you very much (IMG:style_emoticons/default/haha.gif)
Greetings from Chile (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grin.gif)

Hey Chile,

Did you pull the codes yet? If so, what code came up?

Look at this guy... in case your ABS is the issue.

http://home.earthlink.net/~vicrocha/Volvo_...atIsTheShipping

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest Volvo 850 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsWhy Is My Car Full Of Water?!
V70 T5 collecting water in rear
1 DasRah 566 17th February 2014 - 10:56 AM
Last post by: gobies
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsOutside Temperature Sensor Reading
11 redhunter 10,136 6th November 2013 - 06:09 PM
Last post by: Orfeous
No New Posts Only Runs Cold
1985 240 GL (B230E)
4 BucJohn 436 10th October 2013 - 07:43 PM
Last post by: BucJohn
No New Posts Pinned: Topic has attachmentsOn-board Diagnostics 2 (obd Ii)
Learn about it...
21 ampangbear 42,970 13th June 2013 - 10:59 PM
Last post by: surcan
No New Posts Abs Light
Please help if you can
6 kd24588 898 23rd May 2013 - 12:38 AM
Last post by: tdotrunnerss80

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 28th July 2014 - 01:15 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement