Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Transmission Pan Bolt Holes Stripped, trouble tightening bolts
r1st240
post Feb 6 2011, 12:37 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 85,289
Drives: 92 240 DL

I inherited a 240. Small drip from tranny pan. One corner wet and dripping a few drops per day. Tried to use torque wrench and tighten up all bolts. Set at 15 newton metres. Some of them stop, some of them just keep turning. The fluid is pink and new. I suspect some joker at the quick lube used his air wrench to put the pan back on and stripped something. I took one of the bolts that keeps turning out and it looks fine. I suspect the housings in the bottom of the trany are stripped. Any suggestions.
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
IceBrick
post Feb 6 2011, 07:41 PM
Post #2

Senior

Member No.: 4,514
Drives: 91 240, 98S70

QUOTE (r1st240 @ Feb 6 2011, 12:37 PM)
I inherited a 240. Small drip from tranny pan. One corner wet and dripping a few drops per day. Tried to use torque wrench and tighten up all bolts. Set at 15 newton metres. Some of them stop, some of them just keep turning. The fluid is pink and new. I suspect some joker at the quick lube used his air wrench to put the pan back on and stripped something. I took one of the bolts that keeps turning out and it looks fine. I suspect the housings in the bottom of the trany are stripped. Any suggestions.

I would suggest drilling and tapping to the next size. I wouldn't expect that you would need to remove the pan.
You would probably need to use a regular tap to start and finish with a blind tap if the hole is shallow. ...or, drill, tap, helicoil.

QuoteReply
El Taco
post Feb 10 2011, 08:30 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 85,472
Drives: 96 Jeep

QUOTE (r1st240 @ Feb 6 2011, 01:37 PM)

X2 on the helicoil. Otherwise you're drilling the pan, too.

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest Volvo 240, 242, 244 & 245 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Transmission Issue (error Code Tcm002c)
Volvo S80 2.0 Turbo
5 sonic3 972 26th November 2013 - 07:25 PM
Last post by: pkrface
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsTransmission Problems With My First 240
2 245buster 583 17th July 2013 - 11:10 AM
Last post by: SykO
No New Posts Transmission Interchange?
What transmissions can be made to work in a 2002 v70xc?
1 rickn540 1,656 17th April 2013 - 07:30 PM
Last post by: sailor1065
No New Posts Transmission Leak Around Kick Down Cable
0 The Fonz 331 20th January 2013 - 08:58 PM
Last post by: The Fonz
No New Posts Transmission Service Required
1 Zee 1,967 2nd January 2013 - 02:30 PM
Last post by: volvotech06

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 31st July 2014 - 04:37 PM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement