Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Abs+tracs Light On
CoolDog
post Feb 2 2011, 01:50 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 85,125
Drives: 1996 Volvo 850

Recently, After a good snow storm we got. I got stuck in my drive way trying to get back up it. Well in the prosess something happened that made both tracs and abs light go on (they stay on reguardless of what i do). So i left the car sit for a few days to come out and find that the battery died. Strange i never ever had a battery die on me. This battery is only 2 or 3 years old MAX. But anyhow. I wanted to see if the ABS/TRACs were really not working and come to find out. I can hear the clicking or tapping sound that the ABS mod makes when my wheels spin (slipping from accelerating not breaking). I haven't checked to see if spotting would still kick in the abs when skidding. But i'm at a loss. I dunno how my battery suddenly died and the ABS/TRACs light to come on.

Anyone have any ideas?
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
SeaMike
post Feb 2 2011, 02:08 PM
Post #2

Senior Veteran
Group Icon

Group: Super Mod
Member No.: 33,827
Drives: 1995 Volvo 850 GLE (Canada Car), Automatic

QUOTE (CoolDog @ Feb 2 2011, 12:50 PM)
Recently, After a good snow storm we got. I got stuck in my drive way trying to get back up it. Well in the prosess something happened that made both tracs and abs light go on (they stay on reguardless of what i do). So i left the car sit for a few days to come out and find that the battery died. Strange i never ever had a battery die on me. This battery is only 2 or 3 years old MAX. But anyhow. I wanted to see if the ABS/TRACs were really not working and come to find out. I can hear the clicking or tapping sound that the ABS mod makes when my wheels spin (slipping from accelerating not breaking). I haven't checked to see if spotting would still kick in the abs when skidding. But i'm at a loss. I dunno how my battery suddenly died and the ABS/TRACs light to come on.

Anyone have any ideas?

Hey,

The 1996 Volvo 850 are know to have ABS Module issues.
Here are a couple of people that fix them.
http://home.earthlink.net/~vicrocha/Volvo_...ABS_removal.htm
http://www.bba-reman.com/catalogue/Product...px?category=251

As far as the battery.... 2 to 3 years rare to go bad, but they can especially in cold weather.

When you get a new battery, and before you do anything on the ABS unit, PULL the codes on your car, this will help find out what is really going on with it.

What state are you in? It is 15 degrees here in Fort Worth, Texas at this time.

Mike

QuoteReply
CoolDog
post Feb 2 2011, 02:31 PM
Post #3

Pennsylvania. Few minutes north northwest of Philly. I never thought of pulling the codes. I don't know if my scanner will pick it up tho. I think it does check engine light codes. Sucks that we have 2 inches of ice right now. Can't even get out to get the mail lol.

QuoteReply
SeaMike
post Feb 2 2011, 02:59 PM
Post #4

Senior Veteran
Group Icon

QUOTE (CoolDog @ Feb 2 2011, 01:31 PM)
Pennsylvania. Few minutes north northwest of Philly. I never thought of pulling the codes. I don't know if my scanner will pick it up tho. I think it does check engine light codes. Sucks that we have 2 inches of ice right now. Can't even get out to get the mail lol.

If you have another car....Auto Zone may have a loaner scanner, or you can buy one...that is what I did from Sears. They are always great to have around.

Look at this:
http://volvospeed.com/Repair/abstrax.php

and this

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums/vi...p?p=46827#46827

QuoteReply
CoolDog
post Feb 2 2011, 04:55 PM
Post #5

Okay so i used my jumpbox (gotta love that thing (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) ) and got it running. I let it idle for 15-20 minutes then got in and took it for a spin. Within 2 minutes of driving the lights (abs and trac) both went out. I continued to drive for roughtly 2-3 hours and it hasn't come back on (made a few stops here and there). So for now it seems to have resolved itself? I gotta love my car... It resolves its issues by itself a few times since i've bought it 4 1/2 years ago.

QuoteReply
SeaMike
post Feb 2 2011, 05:04 PM
Post #6

Senior Veteran
Group Icon

QUOTE (CoolDog @ Feb 2 2011, 03:55 PM)
Okay so i used my jumpbox (gotta love that thing (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) ) and got it running. I let it idle for 15-20 minutes then got in and took it for a spin. Within 2 minutes of driving the lights (abs and trac) both went out. I continued to drive for roughtly 2-3 hours and it hasn't come back on (made a few stops here and there). So for now it seems to have resolved itself? I gotta love my car... It resolves its issues by itself a few times since i've bought it 4 1/2 years ago.

What caused the issue was... The ABS Computer freaks out when front tires were moving(spinning), and the back tires were not moving causing a ABS Error, that will go away after you hit 25mph.

QuoteReply
CoolDog
post Feb 2 2011, 05:07 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (SeaMike @ Feb 2 2011, 05:04 PM)
What caused the issue was... The ABS Computer freaks out when front tires were moving(spinning), and the back tires were not moving causing a ABS Error, that will go away after you hit 25mph.

Wow i did not know that. And i been reading up on volvos since i got mine (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Have to admit. I fell in love with volvos since i got my 96 850 GLT. Actually looking into a 99 S80 T6. But thanks for the info and help.

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest Volvo 850 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Only $150/day With Lift And Tool! Diy Garage Happy Hour Deal In September.
0 chrisww 158 31st August 2014 - 07:03 PM
Last post by: chrisww
No New Posts Only Runs Cold
1985 240 GL (B230E)
4 BucJohn 576 10th October 2013 - 07:43 PM
Last post by: BucJohn
No New Posts Pinned: Topic has attachmentsOn-board Diagnostics 2 (obd Ii)
Learn about it...
21 ampangbear 47,019 13th June 2013 - 10:59 PM
Last post by: surcan
No New Posts Only High Beams Work
5 freckled_girl 549 15th February 2013 - 08:37 AM
Last post by: danielm85948
No New Posts One Battery Died All Of A Sudden, Got New Battery And That Died Overnight
2 timer00 817 4th June 2012 - 11:57 AM
Last post by: timer00

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 21st December 2014 - 10:07 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement