Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> All Front Speakers And Left Rear Speaker Not Working
bcerto
post Jan 26 2011, 05:24 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 84,838
Drives: Volvo XC 90 AWD

Thanks to this forum, I discovered how to easily fix the sunroof drain leak in my Volvo XC90. When I was fixing the leak and saw the exposed wiring next to the drain line, I realized the leak probably caused a speaker short. About 6 months ago, my front speakers went out. Then 4 days ago, after a hard rain, my back left speaker went out. Is there a fix for this problem?? Now that the drain is fixed, I'm hoping someone knows how to fix the speaker problem. I'm not sure the two problems are related, but it seems like the may be. Any advice would be great!
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
emiandy
post Feb 8 2011, 07:44 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 85,396
Drives: 2006 volvo xc90 3.2 awd

Hello bcerto, I just have had the same problem with my speakers in my xc90. I did not have a rain issue. I was wondering if you have had your problem solved outside of this forum. If yes, would sure appreciate some info on the fix. Thanks

QuoteReply
MKC70
post Feb 8 2011, 09:23 PM
Post #3

Expert

Member No.: 23,913
Drives: 1999 Volvo C70 coupe

I would meter the speaker wire plug and see if the speakers are good. Could be the amplifier itself considering so many speakers are out. They go for cheap on the bay used.

QuoteReply
bcerto
post Feb 12 2011, 09:09 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (MKC70 @ Feb 8 2011, 09:23 PM)
I would meter the speaker wire plug and see if the speakers are good. Could be the amplifier itself considering so many speakers are out. They go for cheap on the bay used.

Can you give more specific instructions on how I can meter the speaker wire plug? I've never worked with stereo wiring before, but am eager to learn. It's difficult to hunt down guidance. Any help would be appreciated!

Brian

QuoteReply
MKC70
post Feb 13 2011, 08:12 AM
Post #5

Expert

Member No.: 23,913
Drives: 1999 Volvo C70 coupe

QUOTE (bcerto @ Feb 12 2011, 09:09 PM)
Can you give more specific instructions on how I can meter the speaker wire plug? I've never worked with stereo wiring before, but am eager to learn. It's difficult to hunt down guidance. Any help would be appreciated!

Brian

The amplifier is located under the passenger seat. There are several versions as far as I know, but more similar than different. Each speaker in the car has 2 wires coming off the amplifier to power them, even the tweeters. Recall that the stock ones should read ~4 ohm. This setting is located on a multi meter and needs to be probed with the testers leads to each speaker wire pair.

If you do not feel comfortable with testing, simply remove amplifier to verify part #. Buy the used replacement amp, and swap them out. Pretty much the trouble shooting approach you see these days when something goes bad.

QuoteReply
bcerto
post Mar 21 2011, 04:46 PM
Post #6

Well the problem is now fixed. The previous owner had aftermarket blue tooth installed for handsfree phone functionality. Water from the sunroof leak caused corrosion in the 'mute box' that was located near the amp. I simply took out this component and configured it the was it was originally and it worked. The water definitely caused the problem, as there was rust and corrosion in the mute box. Thanks for all the tips, I'm so happy this is resolved.

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest Volvo XC90 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Not Start Without Any Messages.
0 Kikyoung 338 20th April 2014 - 02:36 AM
Last post by: Kikyoung
No New Posts Front End Squeak
1 Chuck Ketcham 655 15th April 2014 - 02:53 PM
Last post by: guiseppe
No New Posts Front Engine Mount
0 geraldc70 179 5th April 2014 - 11:50 AM
Last post by: geraldc70
No New Posts Rear Cupholder
broken cup holder spring
0 Tchgrif 223 3rd April 2014 - 06:58 AM
Last post by: Tchgrif
No New Posts Front Axles 2008 Xc90 3.2l
2 williala 575 23rd January 2014 - 06:20 AM
Last post by: Antartide

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 21st August 2014 - 03:12 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement