Volvo Owners Forum banner

Engine Shutdown While Driving

21K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  modelmechanix 
#1 ·
My Volvo v50 2007 1.6D is starting to make me problems and perhaps anyone of you know the solution to it...

Mont ago engine sometimes didn't let me go past 3000 rpm. When I shut down the engine and start again it worked ok. But now when i reach approx. 3000 rpm while driving engine dies and rpm pointer goes to 0. When rpm pointer get to 0 then all the lights light up in dashboard as if I just put in and turned the key.

Has anyone got this kind of problems and is there a solution to fix it?

Thanks for any help...

#2 ·
QUOTE (ArisD @ Jan 24 2011, 02:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>My Volvo v50 2007 1.6D is starting to make me problems and perhaps anyone of you know the solution to it...

Mont ago engine sometimes didn't let me go past 3000 rpm. When I shut down the engine and start again it worked ok. But now when i reach approx. 3000 rpm while driving engine dies and rpm pointer goes to 0. When rpm pointer get to 0 then all the lights light up in dashboard as if I just put in and turned the key.

Thanks for any help...

Hi ArisD,

Did you even find a solution to this problem?
I also have a 2007 V50 1.6D that has just started having this problem so I am trying to find out what it could be?
Perhaps someone else here might be able to offer some guidance or help?

Many thanks!

#3 ·
QUOTE (ArisD @ Jan 24 2011, 08:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>My Volvo v50 2007 1.6D is starting to make me problems and perhaps anyone of you know the solution to it...

Thanks for any help...

When was the fuel filter changed last at? When was last tune up? Can you get the codes pulled?

#4 ·
QUOTE (modelmechanix @ Jan 3 2012, 02:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi ArisD,

I also have a 2007 V50 1.6D that has just started having this problem so I am trying to find out what it could be?

Many thanks!

When was the fuel filter changed last at? When was last tune up? Can you get the codes pulled?

#5 ·
QUOTE (SeaMike @ Jan 3 2012, 10:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>When was the fuel filter changed last at? When was last tune up? Can you get the codes pulled?

Hi SeaMike,

The car has 90k km and the fuel filter was done at last service which was at 77k kms. There is no engine light on and the code reader I have wont read any codes from the V50 for some reason, it reads my Merc C180 just fine. I wanted to research before taking it to a dealership as I have been ripped off before. Would you suggest changing the fuel filter?

#6 ·
QUOTE (modelmechanix @ Jan 3 2012, 06:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi SeaMike,

The car has 90k km and the fuel filter was done at last service which was at 77k kms. There is no engine light on and the code reader I have wont read any codes from the V50 for some reason, it reads my Merc C180 just fine. I wanted to research before taking it to a dealership as I have been ripped off before. Would you suggest changing the fuel filter?

Hey,

Is this a diesel?

I know that the filter that is in the gas tank of a regular gasoline engine car is so fine, it can filter Gas from water.

Is there a way water may have gotten in you tank over the years, via condensation etc?

Also, check all vacuum lines, and fuel lines to ensure they are not soft, and collapsing in on themselves under acceleration.

Do you have any Parts Sores over there that will check your codes for you for free?

#7 ·
QUOTE (modelmechanix @ Jan 3 2012, 03:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi ArisD,

Many thanks!

Yes found the solution - the only problem was diesel filter. When mechanic changed it everything works fine. Also thanks SeaMike - your answer was correct. Fuel filter was bad. The problem started after geting diesel on Bosnia trip and it seems on gas station they had bad diesel.

#8 ·
QUOTE (SeaMike @ Jan 3 2012, 10:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>When was the fuel filter changed last at? When was last tune up? Can you get the codes pulled?

Thanks SeaMike & ArisD,

Yes it is Diesel and I removed the fuel filter today on your suggestion, the filter was very dirty so I have ordered another one. Hopefully that will solve the issue.....fingers crossed. I will keep you informed, thanks for your help.

#9 ·
QUOTE (ArisD @ Jan 4 2012, 06:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Yes found the solution - the only problem was diesel filter. When mechanic changed it everything works fine. Also thanks SeaMike - your answer was correct. Fuel filter was bad. The problem started after geting diesel on Bosnia trip and it seems on gas station they had bad diesel.

Just a quick update on this, problem appears to be sorted now, 25km test drive today and the car was spot on.
I fitted the new fuel filter fitted as suggested and that seems to have done the trick.
I couldn't get my head around how the engine could run at low revs with a dirty fuel filter so in honesty, I had my doubts it could have been that simple. Having had to spend a bit of time today working out an airlock after fitting the filter, which involved an air compressor stuck in the fuel filler cap,I now understand that the fuel flow is subject to enourmously high pressure.

Thanks again for the quick and helpful replies !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.