Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Instrument Panel Not Working, Instrument Cluster?, being told whole Instrument cluster panel needs to be replaced
Marybeth
post Dec 1 2010, 09:16 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 82,302
Drives: 2002 Volvo SW V70

I have a V70, SW 2002. A few days ago the instrument panel shut down, except for the 'check engine' light. I took it to my Volvo mechanic who removed the panel and checked for any dead fuses,etc. After he messed around with it, he put it back on and it worked for a little while. The next morning it was all off again (except the check engine light). After calling the Volvo dealership (to schedule for a recall fix), I told the guy over the phone about the panel...he said it sounded like the cluster equipment panel board(is that what this is called?) might need to be replaced and it would cost over $1000.00, My mechanic has a similar quote. I thought I would research this issue. Talked to a repair place in CA that works on repairing cluster instrument panels, but not on VOLVO's. The rep there told me she has a Volvo and said she had a similar problem, but after replacing the panel and having numerous diagnostic tests ($$$$) she was told it was the radio that was causing this issue in the electrical system (the cluster panel).

Before I start paying for any more diagnostics, has anyone had this problem? All instruments are non-operative and the only reading I am getting is Check engine. The radio works, but has always been poor quality...lots of turning the volume knob back and forth, etc.

I sure could use some input! Thanks!
Mary
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
jda2000
post Dec 3 2010, 09:59 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 67,428
Drives: 2007 Volvo S60 2.5T

get a second opinion and third if needed, preferably from an indie volvo shop.

DIM (instrument cluster) do fail and are expensive to replace and is a dealer only item that has to be mated to the car via software.

Used units sometimes work but has to be year specific.

QuoteReply
danielm85948
post Jan 9 2011, 02:02 AM
Post #3

Senior Veteran

Member No.: 74,889
Drives: volvo 940 se turbo 1991

QUOTE (Marybeth @ Dec 1 2010, 09:16 PM)
I have a V70, SW 2002. A few days ago the instrument panel shut down, except for the 'check engine' light. I took it to my Volvo mechanic who removed the panel and checked for any dead fuses,etc. After he messed around with it, he put it back on and it worked for a little while. The next morning it was all off again (except the check engine light). After calling the Volvo dealership (to schedule for a recall fix), I told the guy over the phone about the panel...he said it sounded like the cluster equipment panel board(is that what this is called?) might need to be replaced and it would cost over $1000.00, My mechanic has a similar quote. I thought I would research this issue. Talked to a repair place in CA that works on repairing cluster instrument panels, but not on VOLVO's. The rep there told me she has a Volvo and said she had a similar problem, but after replacing the panel and having numerous diagnostic tests ($$$$) she was told it was the radio that was causing this issue in the electrical system (the cluster panel).

Before I start paying for any more diagnostics, has anyone had this problem? All instruments are non-operative and the only reading I am getting is Check engine. The radio works, but has always been poor quality...lots of turning the volume knob back and forth, etc.

I sure could use some input! Thanks!
Mary

yes you do get trouble with them ,due to cracks in the solder,but get your electrical part of the ignition switch checked first it is held on by two bolts,you pull out the plug ,and remove the two bolts,,you can also get this due to having a lot of keys on your key ring,try moving your key back and forward ,in your lock,first.

QuoteReply
RAFontana
post Jan 20 2011, 09:21 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 84,537
Drives: 2004 XC70

I had to replace my dash cluster approx 1 yr ago. It was a heat problem that fried the circuit baord. Had it replace by local mechanic....$850 with a used part. Work fine...Have not had any problems since.

Just another choice to lower cost.

RAF

QuoteReply
Torontonian
post Mar 22 2011, 01:33 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 86,831
Drives: 2002 volvo XC70

Search "dashboard problems" on the forum, look for Budulan's post. Insructions on how to do it yourself! I am trying to figure out how to get to the dashboard without using "brute force". Sounds like the whole front panel needs to come off? If you get any info on this please post!

QuoteReply
cheapo
post Jun 11 2011, 04:00 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 74,145
Drives: 2003 XC70

My DIM was acting up (YouTube).

I read the DIY instructions, but was daunted by my lack of a heat gun and the very small size of the pins on the chips. I elected to send it Xemodex, in Mississauga, ON, and they whipped everything back into shape for $400 (incl. overnight shipping each way—I'm in Halifax, NS). Lifetime warranty too.

QuoteReply
jakegt
post Jul 10 2011, 04:04 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 78,353
Drives: 2003 V70

QUOTE (Torontonian @ Mar 22 2011, 12:33 PM)
Search "dashboard problems" on the forum, look for Budulan's post. Insructions on how to do it yourself! I am trying to figure out how to get to the dashboard without using "brute force". Sounds like the whole front panel needs to come off? If you get any info on this please post!

Take a look to this link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZjlzcfzjPs&NR=1

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest 2G (2001-2007) V70, V70XC & XC70 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Not Start Without Any Messages.
0 Kikyoung 621 20th April 2014 - 02:36 AM
Last post by: Kikyoung
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsNot All Oil Filters Are Created Equal
Cut Open Filter for a 850
8 SeaMike 1,041 20th January 2014 - 11:31 PM
Last post by: Kiss4aFrog
No New Posts Instrument Panel-voltage Stabilizer
5 Striper15 908 7th September 2013 - 02:39 PM
Last post by: danielm85948
No New Posts Note On Brake Hoses, Power Steering Hoses
0 PersonFromPorlock 441 27th June 2013 - 06:27 PM
Last post by: PersonFromPorlock
No New Posts Not Starting
3 David1Ten 1,634 6th April 2013 - 06:39 PM
Last post by: Fernando

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 20th December 2014 - 01:38 PM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement