Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Engine System Service Required .. But No Codes!
V70 Driver
post Nov 17 2010, 12:22 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 81,607
Drives: V70

Hi all,

Hoping someone can help....

We've recently had a service on our 2001 V70, oil, filters, plugs etc... and since then there's a message in the text bit of the dash saying "Engine System Service Required" and the cruise control has stopped working. There was also a "Service Required" light, but i got rid of that with the on/off press trip button thing.

There's no red or orange light on the dash and the message come's and goes... but the cruise control never works. (press the button but no CRUISE appears on the dash where it used to..

Now it get's weird....

I took it back to the garage (not a Volvo one) and they plugged in a computer and looked to find the error code .. but there isn't one they cleared the Error memory anyway and then tried car but Engine System Service Required .. Looked in memory, still no code..... they then looked in an other part of the car's memory (sorry for being vague!) and there was nothing there either.

Car off and back on ... no message ... car off and back on .. message ... and the CControl never works.

Their answer now is that there's nothing in the service that could have caused the problem and the say i need to take it to a Volve Garage - spending more money!!

Must add again, cos all the advice seems to centre around this ... there's no "Engine service" light on the dash. just the message....

Thanks for reading ... will be interested to see what the experts here make of it!!!

Cheers

James
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
V70 Driver
post Nov 29 2010, 06:24 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 81,607
Drives: V70

Seriously? ... No replies at all?

Oh Dear!!

QuoteReply
Peelot
post Dec 3 2010, 04:58 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 82,376
Drives: 2006 Volvo XC 70

Hello, James
I think you need to go to official dealer Volvo, however if you don't want to spend your money you can to try disconnect a battery for 10-15 minutes and then to connect again. After it either the "Service Required" light will switched off (but it may be switched on after some time if your car really has any problems) or the garage computer will able to read diagnostic code. Good luck!

QuoteReply
jda2000
post Dec 4 2010, 02:05 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 67,428
Drives: 2007 Volvo S60 2.5T

generic code readers are not picking up volvo proprietary codes.

You need the dealer for the correct diagnosis with their VIDA machine.

QuoteReply
alanjackson
post Jul 7 2014, 08:49 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 100,672
Drives: 2 x 2001 V70T, 1 x 1996 850 GLT

Hello James, did you ever solve your cruise control and engine system error message?
I have exactly the same on my 2001 V70T, aLAN

QuoteReply
Teamac
post Jul 7 2014, 08:48 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 96,522
Drives: 2002 Volvo XC V70

My 2001 V70XC has no cruise control, clock, outside temp... the gas gauge never goes to FULL, but when it gets below 1/4th, it dies. Sometimes the engine temp gauge dies. Some of this may be result of driving daily on gravel roads and dust getting in the connections. My check engine light stays on, and I get the engine system service required. The gas cap door fell off. Runs great! I think these cars are programmed to periodically flash the service message to encourage trips to the dealer's service dept. What is the "on/off press trip button thing?"
Attached File(s)
Attached File  20140508_194643.jpg ( 69.8K ) Number of downloads: 0

QuoteReply
alanjackson
post Aug 28 2014, 04:06 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 100,672
Drives: 2 x 2001 V70T, 1 x 1996 850 GLT

QUOTE (alanjackson @ Jul 7 2014, 09:49 AM)
Hello James, did you ever solve your cruise control and engine system error message?
I have exactly the same on my 2001 V70T, aLAN

______________________________________________________________________-
FIXED IT - it was the MAS on the air filter housing. 25 New on Ebay - I had three but none worked longer than a week.

I got a used one from the breakers and that works fine - so far. Everything working, including cruise control..

The really odd thing is that the key fob had to be VERY close to the car to unlock the car with the faulty MAS fitted, now works at the usual distance!!

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest 2G (2001-2007) V70, V70XC & XC70 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Engine System Service Required S80 2006 2.4d
0 S60D5SE 177 13th August 2014 - 03:17 PM
Last post by: S60D5SE
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsNo Am Reception 2001 S60
6 mspopo 1,285 4th August 2014 - 08:19 PM
Last post by: YesNoMebbeSo
No New Posts Service Diagrams For Volvos
Information only
0 YesNoMebbeSo 207 4th August 2014 - 07:17 PM
No New Posts Service Diagrams For Volvo Vehicles
Information only
0 YesNoMebbeSo 127 4th August 2014 - 07:16 PM
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsEngine Computer Test
car runs better with vacuum tube disconnected
17 ThagSimmons 357 16th June 2014 - 01:57 AM
Last post by: danielm85948

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 19th September 2014 - 02:47 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement