Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Cam Alignment And Tool 999-5452
ToyoLoyal
post Nov 13 2010, 11:25 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 81,331
Drives: 1996 Ford F250

Hello, new to the forum here, thanks for all the info and help I've received already.

I am an ASE Master Tech and have done scores of T-belts and cam seals, but always on Asian or American stuff, so imagine my surprise when I whipped off the cam pulleys like I have done dozens of times, and found that there is no key to align the pulley when you put it back together.

I've read everything I can find on this, but I still have a couple of things I don't understand. I never work on these cars, and am only doing it because it is a friend, but now I've got to get it back together.

Here's where I'm at:
I did not buy tool 999-5452, but I do have the notches in the back of the cams aligned with the seam between the head and cam cover. They are perfectly aligned.

Also I installed the pulleys and aligned their notches with the notches in the t-belt cover. I do not understand why this won't work. I did not loosen the small bolts that hold the t-belt sprocket to the vvt unit. I only loosened the center bolt on the vvt.

I am confident that with a spanner wrench holding the pulley that I can torque the center bolt, but the book describes a process of turning the vvt unit one way and then the other, but I don't really see what they are turning. I took the unit off with pulley and vvt together, and don't see what turns unless I take it further apart.

If I have the notches in the back of the cams in line, and the notches all on their marks on the t-belt end, am I good? Is there something that I am missing?

Thanks for the help,

Gary
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
sinnerlikeme
post Nov 13 2010, 05:55 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 81,395
Drives: 999 Volvo anything

QUOTE (ToyoLoyal @ Nov 13 2010, 11:25 AM)
Hello, new to the forum here, thanks for all the info and help I've received already.

I am an ASE Master Tech and have done scores of T-belts and cam seals, but always on Asian or American stuff, so imagine my surprise when I whipped off the cam pulleys like I have done dozens of times, and found that there is no key to align the pulley when you put it back together.

I've read everything I can find on this, but I still have a couple of things I don't understand. I never work on these cars, and am only doing it because it is a friend, but now I've got to get it back together.

Here's where I'm at:
I did not buy tool 999-5452, but I do have the notches in the back of the cams aligned with the seam between the head and cam cover. They are perfectly aligned.

Also I installed the pulleys and aligned their notches with the notches in the t-belt cover. I do not understand why this won't work. I did not loosen the small bolts that hold the t-belt sprocket to the vvt unit. I only loosened the center bolt on the vvt.

I am confident that with a spanner wrench holding the pulley that I can torque the center bolt, but the book describes a process of turning the vvt unit one way and then the other, but I don't really see what they are turning. I took the unit off with pulley and vvt together, and don't see what turns unless I take it further apart.

If I have the notches in the back of the cams in line, and the notches all on their marks on the t-belt end, am I good? Is there something that I am missing?

Thanks for the help,

Gary

just so you know i am also a ASE certified tech with a certified volvo tech almost master (1 more credit for the new S60)

It depends on the motor your working on for then alignment tool. I pretty sure the 2.4 and 2.4T 5 cylinder it straight across and the new T5 and new 2.4 are also but on the T6 and the new T6 it close to straight across but more ang up in the middle and down on the outer the other thing you have to make sure it that the VVT is all so sprong the right way for the 2.4T it should be on the exhaust but not on the intake and it needs to be set where the alignment marks is in spec with the VVT all the way clockwise. make sure you put on the belt this way to. Same with the older nonturbo 2.4L but the VVT is going to be on the intake. Also make sure the crank is aligned properly to where the notches align. Dont forget these are Inference motors turn it over by hand twice... techs at my dealer that have been working here for more the 20 years still turn it over by hand because if it slips that a new head needed.

QuoteReply
ToyoLoyal
post Nov 19 2010, 03:33 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 81,331
Drives: 1996 Ford F250

QUOTE (sinnerlikeme @ Nov 13 2010, 06:55 PM)
just so you know i am also a ASE certified tech with a certified volvo tech almost master (1 more credit for the new S60)

It depends on the motor your working on for then alignment tool. I pretty sure the 2.4 and 2.4T 5 cylinder it straight across and the new T5 and new 2.4 are also but on the T6 and the new T6 it close to straight across but more ang up in the middle and down on the outer the other thing you have to make sure it that the VVT is all so sprong the right way for the 2.4T it should be on the exhaust but not on the intake and it needs to be set where the alignment marks is in spec with the VVT all the way clockwise. make sure you put on the belt this way to. Same with the older nonturbo 2.4L but the VVT is going to be on the intake. Also make sure the crank is aligned properly to where the notches align. Dont forget these are Inference motors turn it over by hand twice... techs at my dealer that have been working here for more the 20 years still turn it over by hand because if it slips that a new head needed.

Hey, thanks for the reply.

Motor is a 1.9T. I knew where the intake cam went because it was not vvt and the notch on it was straight with the head.
I talked to a volvo tech and it turns out that this engine doesn't have an adjustment on the vvt. That's why I was so confused, because I couldn't see what could possibly adjust. Anyway, I got it, even without the tool. Lined everything up very carefully, both ends of the cams, and it ran great. I always turn the engine over by hand just to be sure all is good and the marks line up again, because if you have slack in the wrong place it can be off a tooth.
Again, thanks for the reply.

QuoteReply
Nasty N8
post Sep 27 2011, 01:19 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 95,955
Drives: 05 Silverado

I am in the same boat with an 04 S60R 2.5T I removed the exhaust gear for a seal and no am completely lost I have gone over and over the setup but it does not even match my intake cam that was not messed with?? I even had an awesome Volvo tech talk to me and send me a pic of the cams position on the back of the head but it does not match the intake cam which again was not messed with? His pic was the intake cam tilted slightly down towards the center and the exhaust tilted down in towards the center \/ but that is not even close to where the intake was positioned when properly timed and slack taken out of the VVT it was way down toward the center almost vertical. Now I am finding it could be level with the head? All the cam alignment tools look to be level with the head? But it still does not jive with what I am seeing.

Anyone have a pic of the back of the head cam positions?

Sorry if wrong forum was just searching

Thanks Nate

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest 1G (1995-2004) S40 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Camshaft Position Sensor Error
2 burgertimegirl 4,568 1st September 2013 - 01:58 PM
Last post by: drainbamage
No New Posts Camshaft Belt Renewal On V70 D5
Advice required on need to remove crankshaft pully.
0 stuwebd5 458 20th August 2013 - 03:33 PM
Last post by: stuwebd5
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsCamshaft End Cap Removal
4 dkchandler 947 13th August 2013 - 03:23 PM
Last post by: dkchandler
No New Posts Cam Sensor Advanced
0 Chrisy 399 16th August 2012 - 08:58 AM
Last post by: Chrisy
No New Posts Android Integration For Your Volvo Xc90
1 GROM Audio 1,885 24th May 2012 - 02:30 PM
Last post by: GROM Audio

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 29th August 2014 - 11:11 PM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement