Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> S60 Door Lock/window Control Module, Cabin Temperature Sensitivity
Vermont
post Oct 15 2010, 04:43 PM
Post #1

Senior

Group: Members
Member No.: 80,050
Drives: 2002 Volvo S60

I've searched the topics here to see if my problem has been covered before, and it doesn't appear to have been . . . . yet.

My S60 Door Lock/Window Control Module "chatters" and ceases to function anytime the cabin temperature drops below roughly 50F. When the cabin warms up, it quiets down and functions fine.

This started acting up late last Spring, and then went away completely for the Summer. Now it's back, and seems to require more warmth as time progresses.

I tried the re-set function described in other threads (holding the front window controls in the closed position for 5-8 seconds, etc), and that doesn't appear to do anything. The Module continues to "chatter" I have yet to try it while the cabin temperature is above 50F, an will try to do that tomorrow.

Someone else suggested that maybe removing the Control Module and cleaning the connector might give me some relief; but I doubt that any dirt/grease alone would be behaving the way this is.

The Car itself has 186,000 miles on it; but the windows are rarely activated, and the Car is typically securely locked up just one or twice per day. The fact that this fixes itself with the mere change in temperature leads me to believe that it's the Control Module itself which is compromised.

As I will soon be experiencing outdoor temperatures that are routinely below -20F, and often below -50F, I thought I'd have to deal with this very soon. And before purchasing a new Control Module from Volvo, I wanted to ask if anyone else has experienced similar symptoms and solved the problem in a less expensive manner ?

Thanks for your help. This is my first post and the sole reason for my searching out and registering on this Forum. I may be able to contribute some insights as well, if I can solve this "chattering" issue inside the Driver's door (left hand American set-up).

Thanks again.
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
jpit
post Oct 16 2010, 04:57 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 27,154
Drives: 2001 S60

QUOTE (Vermont @ Oct 15 2010, 04:43 PM)
I've searched the topics here to see if my problem has been covered before, and it doesn't appear to have been . . . . yet.

My S60 Door Lock/Window Control Module "chatters" and ceases to function anytime the cabin temperature drops below roughly 50F. When the cabin warms up, it quiets down and functions fine.

This started acting up late last Spring, and then went away completely for the Summer. Now it's back, and seems to require more warmth as time progresses.

I tried the re-set function described in other threads (holding the front window controls in the closed position for 5-8 seconds, etc), and that doesn't appear to do anything. The Module continues to "chatter" I have yet to try it while the cabin temperature is above 50F, an will try to do that tomorrow.

Someone else suggested that maybe removing the Control Module and cleaning the connector might give me some relief; but I doubt that any dirt/grease alone would be behaving the way this is.

The Car itself has 186,000 miles on it; but the windows are rarely activated, and the Car is typically securely locked up just one or twice per day. The fact that this fixes itself with the mere change in temperature leads me to believe that it's the Control Module itself which is compromised.

As I will soon be experiencing outdoor temperatures that are routinely below -20F, and often below -50F, I thought I'd have to deal with this very soon. And before purchasing a new Control Module from Volvo, I wanted to ask if anyone else has experienced similar symptoms and solved the problem in a less expensive manner ?

Thanks for your help. This is my first post and the sole reason for my searching out and registering on this Forum. I may be able to contribute some insights as well, if I can solve this "chattering" issue inside the Driver's door (left hand American set-up).

Thanks again.

I have had issues with my window switch pack not working intermittently and it also appears to be more evident in the colder weather but also happens occasionally happens in warm weather as well. I haven't ever experienced any chattering. I know that if I remove the switch pack and just unplug and plug in the 2 connectors it appears to function okay for a while.

QuoteReply
ikey
post Oct 16 2010, 05:58 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 49,637
Drives: 2002 Volvo S60 T5

I experienced a similar problem with my passenger door module a couple of winters ago. Nothing worked until the temp was over 40F. It worked like that for about a month before it stopped working all together. Had to take it to the dealer since the new module needs a software load from Volvo.

QuoteReply
Vermont
post Oct 17 2010, 07:30 AM
Post #4

Senior

Thanks to both of you, ikey and jpit, for considering this.

I've talked to quite a few people who know more about auto electronics than I do, and no one has acknowledged any experience with this kind of problem with any other vehicle.

I did the re-set yesterday with the cabin temperature above 50F, and will go out today to see if that could miraculously have fixed it.

I doubt that cleaning the connectors will do anything, unless I have somehow collected some kind of dirt bearing the attributes of a thermistor . . . . which is quite un-likely.

My next step will be to see about buying a new Control Module. I buy everything over the Internet or by Mail Order through Tasca Volvo in Rhode Island/Massachusetts. I would hope that they would be able to program the Module remotely using my VIN and the Key Codes for the vehicle.

The Volvo MSRP for that Module is about $250; but my price is $137. That probably doesn't include the programming of it for my vehicle; but I haven't asked yet. Does that sound reasonable ?

I thought the Swedes built these cars for cold weather . . . . but maybe not this cold.

QuoteReply
ikey
post Oct 18 2010, 09:11 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 49,637
Drives: 2002 Volvo S60 T5

Hi,

The price you have been quoted is quite good. I attempted to fix the door myself and replaced the module with one from a salvage yard, which cost me $80. Unfortunately, without the software, only the remote lock/unlock worked. The dealer charged me $797 for the repair: $483 for the module, $279 for labor, $90 for the software and the rest was tax. I asked them if they could reload the module I put in, but they stated they can't work with "aftermarket" parts. Hopefully your dealer is more understanding.

QuoteReply
Vermont
post Oct 19 2010, 08:17 AM
Post #6

Senior

That sound's like your being held up for a ransom !
QUOTE (ikey @ Oct 18 2010, 10:11 PM)
Hopefully your dealer is more understanding.

The one and only Volvo dealer in Vermont is over 100 miles from me . . . . and is not very understanding at all . . . . everything they do is MSRP and they only give other servicers 5% off those prices.

So I've taken to using Tasca for all my parts that must be OEM, and ordering parts by mail order on-line or by phone from their retail parts department. The entire parts inventory is accessible on-line for research. They've been very good to me; and the Parts Department personnel are pretty knowledgeable. Being a Volvo Dealer, we'll see how they deal with the cost of burning in the programming of this Control Module. I'll report back.

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest 2009 and Below S60 Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsDoor Card/a Pillar/headliner Deterioration Solution!
how to repair for under $50
0 William47 91 21st September 2014 - 06:21 PM
Last post by: William47
No new Topic has attachmentsS60 Am Radio Reception
Bad reception
29 sigsS60 19,925 4th August 2014 - 07:52 PM
Last post by: YesNoMebbeSo
No New Posts S60 With Heico Bits
12 Arith 4,836 5th July 2014 - 08:19 PM
Last post by: Zangado
No New Posts S60 2005 Rhd Wing Mirror & Cover
0 Shapes 362 6th February 2014 - 01:49 AM
Last post by: Shapes
No New Posts S60 Seat Covers
0 dr.andre 416 17th January 2014 - 01:14 AM
Last post by: dr.andre

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 23rd October 2014 - 12:50 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement