Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> 1997 850 Transmission Problems
cwood
post Oct 6 2010, 10:18 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 79,593
Drives: 1997 volvo 850t

I bought this car back in March of 2010 and have had absolutely no problems until about 2 weeks ago. I had the a/c worked on (which they said the problem was electrical), the oil changed and the brakes checked. When I got the car back I had a check engine light on and the yellow arrow light was flashing. I took the car back to the service guy and he told me that the check engine light was coding a transmission solenoid and the yellow arrow flashing light was nothing to worry about. He said the car was running fine and for me to go ahead and drive it. The car seemed to have problems with pulling but me not knowing that much about cars I went ahead and drove it for a couple of days. I parked the car for 4 days and on the 5th day I went to move it and it didn't want to go in reverse. I pressed the gas and it jerked into reverse and went on. I tried this a few times and it did the same thing. I called a friend of mine and he checked the fluid and said it was o.k., but recommended a fluid/filter change. I drove it the next morning to work and about 20 miles into the trip the transmission stopped pulling, I pulled over and let the engine cool down while I waited for AAA to come and tow me back home. While waiting for them I decided to start the car and see what it would do, and it started pulling again like nothing was wrong with it. I went ahead and had it towed to another mechanic who flushed transmission fluid it 3 times because they told me the filter couldn't be changed. I found out later that it could be but what do I know. Anyway, the mechanic told me to drive it 3000 miles and bring it back for another filter change. I got it down the road about 20 miles and it quit pulling again. I have taken it to another mechanic (this being the 3rd different one)who says that the problem lies within the transmission. The cost is going to be between 1800-2200 to diagnose and fix. Please someone tell me a definite on this problem. I am a single mom of 3 and obviously I can't afford to put that kind of money into a car that is probably not worth it anyway.
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
Bluemooneye
post Oct 6 2010, 01:53 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 57,013
Drives: 1997 Volvo 850

QUOTE (cwood @ Oct 6 2010, 11:18 AM)
I bought this car back in March of 2010 and have had absolutely no problems until about 2 weeks ago. I had the a/c worked on (which they said the problem was electrical), the oil changed and the brakes checked. When I got the car back I had a check engine light on and the yellow arrow light was flashing. I took the car back to the service guy and he told me that the check engine light was coding a transmission solenoid and the yellow arrow flashing light was nothing to worry about. He said the car was running fine and for me to go ahead and drive it. The car seemed to have problems with pulling but me not knowing that much about cars I went ahead and drove it for a couple of days. I parked the car for 4 days and on the 5th day I went to move it and it didn't want to go in reverse. I pressed the gas and it jerked into reverse and went on. I tried this a few times and it did the same thing. I called a friend of mine and he checked the fluid and said it was o.k., but recommended a fluid/filter change. I drove it the next morning to work and about 20 miles into the trip the transmission stopped pulling, I pulled over and let the engine cool down while I waited for AAA to come and tow me back home. While waiting for them I decided to start the car and see what it would do, and it started pulling again like nothing was wrong with it. I went ahead and had it towed to another mechanic who flushed transmission fluid it 3 times because they told me the filter couldn't be changed. I found out later that it could be but what do I know. Anyway, the mechanic told me to drive it 3000 miles and bring it back for another filter change. I got it down the road about 20 miles and it quit pulling again. I have taken it to another mechanic (this being the 3rd different one)who says that the problem lies within the transmission. The cost is going to be between 1800-2200 to diagnose and fix. Please someone tell me a definite on this problem. I am a single mom of 3 and obviously I can't afford to put that kind of money into a car that is probably not worth it anyway.

I recommend you try adding Lucas brand auto trans additive...
....worked wonders for me....good luck and let us know

QuoteReply
cwood
post Oct 6 2010, 03:11 PM
Post #3

Thanks for the info, I will try that. The mechanic who changed the fluids 3 times said that he put some kind of additive in with it but I am not sure what it was. Anything would be worth a try because I sure hate to sell my car and it be something that simple. I also can't sink that much money into it either.

QuoteReply
SeaMike
post Oct 6 2010, 04:56 PM
Post #4

Senior Veteran
Group Icon

Group: Super Mod
Member No.: 33,827
Drives: 1995 Volvo 850 GLE (Canada Car), Automatic

QUOTE (cwood @ Oct 6 2010, 03:11 PM)
Thanks for the info, I will try that. The mechanic who changed the fluids 3 times said that he put some kind of additive in with it but I am not sure what it was. Anything would be worth a try because I sure hate to sell my car and it be something that simple. I also can't sink that much money into it either.

Hey cwood,

Did you take the car to a Volvo Dealer? Or did you take it to a place that has a GOOD reputation on working with Volvo Cars? I bet not.... because the Flashing Arrow IS something to worry about.

Don't add anything else to the Transmission Fluid and FIND OUT WHAT FLUID THEY PUT IN, and let us know.

Don't tell them, But it must be only Dextron/Merc or Dectron III or IV

DO NOT USE ANYTHING SYNTHETIC LIKE DEXTRON V OR VI in it.

Try to get them to tell you what they flushed it with and what additive they used without alarming them to your questions.

QuoteReply
cwood
post Oct 7 2010, 06:56 AM
Post #5

QUOTE (SeaMike @ Oct 6 2010, 05:56 PM)
Hey cwood,

Did you take the car to a Volvo Dealer? Or did you take it to a place that has a GOOD reputation on working with Volvo Cars? I bet not.... because the Flashing Arrow IS something to worry about.

Don't add anything else to the Transmission Fluid and FIND OUT WHAT FLUID THEY PUT IN, and let us know.

Don't tell them, But it must be only Dextron/Merc or Dectron III or IV

DO NOT USE ANYTHING SYNTHETIC LIKE DEXTRON V OR VI in it.

Try to get them to tell you what they flushed it with and what additive they used without alarming them to your questions.

I took it to a mechanic who works only on import cars. He put dexron fluid in it along with a can of sea foam. The code that was showing was "0740" torque converter lock up. Is it too late to be fixed or can it be repaired at a cost that I can afford.

QuoteReply
SeaMike
post Oct 7 2010, 09:44 PM
Post #6

Senior Veteran
Group Icon

QUOTE (cwood @ Oct 7 2010, 06:56 AM)
I took it to a mechanic who works only on import cars. He put dexron fluid in it along with a can of sea foam. The code that was showing was "0740" torque converter lock up. Is it too late to be fixed or can it be repaired at a cost that I can afford.

How many miles are on this car? What year is it?

Call Volvo dealer and talk to a mechanic, and see what they say about SeaFoam in a Volvo trasmission.

I don't know why he would do that, because most of the time a FLASHING ARROW means the PNP Switch is bad, and that is NOT internal. Ask him why he put it in?

I will call Volvo tomorrow and find out for myself also.

QuoteReply
cwood
post Oct 9 2010, 04:22 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (SeaMike @ Oct 7 2010, 10:44 PM)
How many miles are on this car? What year is it?

Call Volvo dealer and talk to a mechanic, and see what they say about SeaFoam in a Volvo trasmission.

I don't know why he would do that, because most of the time a FLASHING ARROW means the PNP Switch is bad, and that is NOT internal. Ask him why he put it in?

I will call Volvo tomorrow and find out for myself also.

It is a 97 model with 140,000 miles on it. I believe that it has something to do with the PNP switch too, because the light starts blinking and then the car stops pulling. I have asked the guy that has it at his shop about this and he tells me that is not the problem. I am a single mom with 3 kids and I can't afford a whole lot of money for a diagnose or a fix. I wish that I knew more about it or could find more people who work on Volvos. A dealer will cost me a fortune..

QuoteReply
SeaMike
post Oct 10 2010, 10:26 AM
Post #8

Senior Veteran
Group Icon

QUOTE (cwood @ Oct 9 2010, 04:22 PM)
It is a 97 model with 140,000 miles on it. I believe that it has something to do with the PNP switch too, because the light starts blinking and then the car stops pulling. I have asked the guy that has it at his shop about this and he tells me that is not the problem. I am a single mom with 3 kids and I can't afford a whole lot of money for a diagnose or a fix. I wish that I knew more about it or could find more people who work on Volvos. A dealer will cost me a fortune..

Was the transmission slipping/not pulling before you went to the mechanic?

QuoteReply
cwood
post Oct 10 2010, 02:16 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (SeaMike @ Oct 10 2010, 11:26 AM)
Was the transmission slipping/not pulling before you went to the mechanic?

No, I had absolutely no problems with this car what so ever, when I picked it up from the a/c being worked on, which they said was an electrical issue behind the dash, that's when the red arrow was blinking and then the transmission problems started. It won't even drive for 1/2 mile now without breaking down. As soon as the red arrow starts blinking the car stops pulling. I haven't had the filter changed because the mechanic who changed the fluid said it couldn't be changed, I later found out it could be, but I have had the car towed now 3 times, to different people and no one seems to think it is anything but the transmission is GONE. I seem to think it is either the PNP switch or the filter is clogged up and not letting the fluid flow through, as soon as it warms up the light starts flashing and the car quits pulling.

QuoteReply
zo00oted247
post Oct 11 2010, 11:31 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 75,177
Drives: 895 glt non turbo

QUOTE (cwood @ Oct 10 2010, 03:16 PM)
No, I had absolutely no problems with this car what so ever, when I picked it up from the a/c being worked on, which they said was an electrical issue behind the dash, that's when the red arrow was blinking and then the transmission problems started. It won't even drive for 1/2 mile now without breaking down. As soon as the red arrow starts blinking the car stops pulling. I haven't had the filter changed because the mechanic who changed the fluid said it couldn't be changed, I later found out it could be, but I have had the car towed now 3 times, to different people and no one seems to think it is anything but the transmission is GONE. I seem to think it is either the PNP switch or the filter is clogged up and not letting the fluid flow through, as soon as it warms up the light starts flashing and the car quits pulling.

I dont think its a good idea to flush the tranny.... better off draining it by removing the filter... then put a new filter and add new transmission fluid.. if u flush it the tranny might not except new fluid and can cause big problems,. I think u should have checked the air flow first because if the rubber hose coming from the flame trap to the air box is busted can reduce power in your car

QuoteReply
cwood
post Oct 11 2010, 11:54 AM
Post #11

[quote name='zo00oted247' date='Oct 11 2010, 12:31 PM' post='126283']
I dont think its a good idea to flush the tranny.... better off draining it by removing the filter... then put a new filter and add new transmission fluid.. if u flush it the tranny might not except new fluid and can cause big problems,. I think u should have checked the air flow first because if the rubber hose coming from the flame trap to the air box is busted can reduce power in your car
[/quote

Thanks for the info, I think when the mechanic fixed the a/c he messed something up in the wiring, I don't know that for sure though. Just seems as that though because I have never had 1 minutes worth of trouble out of the car until the day I picked it up from getting the a/c fixed. Then I had the red up arrow flashing and the check engine light was on....

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest Volvo 850 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsProblems With Dashboard Air Ducts
One has a fin loose and the other has foam and a yellow-white thing
0 qwertie64982 8 Yesterday, 05:07 PM
Last post by: qwertie64982
No New Posts 1997 960 No Spark After Head Gasket Replace
0 dougsbart 66 12th July 2014 - 09:15 AM
Last post by: dougsbart
No New Posts 1997 Volvo V70 Maf Senor
Siemens 1537-1 174-97
1 caris 413 2nd March 2014 - 11:47 AM
Last post by: danielm85948
No New Posts Transmission Issue (error Code Tcm002c)
Volvo S80 2.0 Turbo
5 sonic3 1,074 26th November 2013 - 07:25 PM
Last post by: pkrface
No New Posts 1997 Volvo 850 And Light Control
4 Trolddk30097 361 6th November 2013 - 03:05 PM
Last post by: Kiss4aFrog

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 29th August 2014 - 05:09 PM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement