Volvo Owners Forum banner

No Am Reception 2001 S60

9K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Shockwave 
#1 ·
Hi, I am owner of S60 2001. The AM radio has not worked (no or poor reception) for several years. The dealer was not much help. I read about technical bulletin is 39-35. If anyone has a repair solution and or the bulletin I would greatly appreciate some help.

mspopo

#3 ·
QUOTE (mspopo @ Sep 6 2010, 04:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi, I am owner of S60 2001. The AM radio has not worked (no or poor reception) for several years. The dealer was not much help. I read about technical bulletin is 39-35. If anyone has a repair solution and or the bulletin I would greatly appreciate some help.

mspopo

There is a "campaign" for the S60 am radio issue you speak of. Ask your dealer about any recalls or ongoing campaigns re: the radio. They don't have to tell you about campaigns unless you ask.

#4 ·
From a previous post:

Audio System - Poor AM Reception
NO: 39-35
DATE: 04/03/2003
MODEL/YEAR:
S80 MY 99 ->, S60 MY 01 ->
SUBJECT:
Poor AM Reception
CHASSIS:

REFERENCE:
Service Bulletin 39-0018 and 39-0025

DESCRIPTION:
Cases have been reported in which AM static will increase and maintain a higher level resulting in complaints of poor AM reception. The increase in AM static may be triggered by several reasons including: bumps in the road closing the doors. The AM static will stop by several reasons including:
Central Door Lock activation rear defrost activation touching the trim covering the antenna amplifier.
SERVICE:
It has been determine the increase in AM static is due to a loose connection between the antenna amplifier and antenna cable. To improve the connection (and AM reception) this Tech Net Note provides instructions to install a brass strip Part Number 30657370.

The brass strip must be bent as shown.
NOTE: It is critical not to exceed the 8 mm (5/16") length. If this length is exceeded it will result is worse reception.

Install the brass strip into the antenna amplifier as shown.
Install antenna cable so that the locking clips are not on top of the brass strip. It may help to push the locking clips to help seat properly.
NOTE: After the antenna cable has been installed pull the antenna cable to verity the locking clips are holding the antenna cable in the proper position. If the antenna cable releases easily the locking clips were not seated.

#5 ·
I found TNN 39-35 on another forum, and attached it here as two screen prints. It includes directions and images on the fix.
Note: this bulletin does NOT fix all 'AM reception' issues permanently. My 2008 S60 FWD received the workaround fix for the HU-850 premium audio system (contradictory, I know) but worked only for nearly one month before the static and interference returned with a vengeance! Out of warranty to receive a replacement audio system ($1300!)

Some posts have mentioned checking the antenna connection at the rear bumper (access location varies by the vehicle's MY.) It should be a white connector running from the antenna; ensure that it is connected completely, and the tips are not bent or corroded.

Hope this helps!

TAR

Attachments

#6 ·
QUOTE (YesNoMebbeSo @ Aug 3 2014, 12:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I found TNN 39-35 on another forum, and attached it here as two screen prints. It includes directions and images on the fix.
Note: this bulletin does NOT fix all 'AM reception' issues permanently. My 2008 S60 FWD received the workaround fix for the HU-850 premium audio system (contradictory, I know) but worked only for nearly one month before the static and interference returned with a vengeance! Out of warranty to receive a replacement audio system ($1300!)

Some posts have mentioned checking the antenna connection at the rear bumper (access location varies by the vehicle's MY.) It should be a white connector running from the antenna; ensure that it is connected completely, and the tips are not bent or corroded.

Hope this helps!

TAR most radio stations were changed to FM .and digital radio, about 4 years ago.so you will not get a lot of AM stations.

#7 ·
QUOTE (danielm85948 @ Aug 3 2014, 02:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>most radio stations were changed to FM .and digital radio, about 4 years ago.so you will not get a lot of AM stations.

True re: HD radio, nonetheless, Volvo's audio systems should still broadcast AM-band stations (U.S.) with nearly crystal clear reception as does FM (discounting the usual interferences from power lines, lightning, etc.) I have owned other brand vehicles, and never experienced AM-band interference or no reception (100% silence) the way I do with Volvo's Premium Audio HU-850 system.

The AM-band issue appears to be an interference problem with the Parking Assist Sensor system (so far), and Volvo does not have a resolution. This is design flaw that Volvo refused to accept responsibility. These cars are way too expensive to simply move on to the next model. And given the $$$$ shelled out for these vehicles, more care should be taken to address customer's concerns, rather than hiding behind a 3/36k warranty.
Sorry. I am ranting. Volvo does well with safety systems and interior design, but their electrical system module arrangements and some designs are severely lacking.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.