Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Volvo 850 Steering Problem, Steering hard to steer
chadman551
post Jun 22 2010, 09:29 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 74,464
Drives: 1995 Volvo 850 Turbo Wagon

On my volvo 850 the steering al of a sudden became hard to turn, i checked the power steering pump and its fine it had enough fluid, and i dont know what could be wrong. also on the drivers side, on the front subframe right in front of the cv boot there is a bunch of grease and i couldn't fine any rips in the boots anywhere, and was wondering if that could affect how the steering is, or if there is another problem. Thanks
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
SeaMike
post Jun 23 2010, 12:07 AM
Post #2

Senior Veteran
Group Icon

Group: Super Mod
Member No.: 33,827
Drives: 1995 Volvo 850 GLE (Canada Car), Automatic

QUOTE (chadman551 @ Jun 22 2010, 09:29 PM)
On my volvo 850 the steering al of a sudden became hard to turn, i checked the power steering pump and its fine it had enough fluid, and i dont know what could be wrong. also on the drivers side, on the front subframe right in front of the cv boot there is a bunch of grease and i couldn't fine any rips in the boots anywhere, and was wondering if that could affect how the steering is, or if there is another problem. Thanks

Hey,

First... does the turn hard happen in both directions? What color is the fluid in the pump? Is there air bubbles/foam in the fluid?

Visually inspect all the metal lines and FEEL all the rubber hoses for soft areas.

Has anyone put fluid in it lately? Ask to make sure

When you turn the steering wheel in both directions, does it make any noise?

No, the grease would not cause it to turn hard.

Also, pull the codes

QuoteReply
chadman551
post Jun 23 2010, 10:07 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 74,464
Drives: 1995 Volvo 850 Turbo Wagon

Yes the steering is equally hard in both directions, i recently put a new pump on the car and put the right power steering in and it is at the right level, i believe there are no air bubbles in the fluid, and it makes kind of like a humming noise when i turn the car, and it happens in both directions. Im thinking it could just be the steering rack thanks for the help

QuoteReply
SeaMike
post Jun 23 2010, 10:14 AM
Post #4

Senior Veteran
Group Icon

Group: Super Mod
Member No.: 33,827
Drives: 1995 Volvo 850 GLE (Canada Car), Automatic

QUOTE (chadman551 @ Jun 23 2010, 10:07 AM)
Yes the steering is equally hard in both directions, i recently put a new pump on the car and put the right power steering in and it is at the right level, i believe there are no air bubbles in the fluid, and it makes kind of like a humming noise when i turn the car, and it happens in both directions. Im thinking it could just be the steering rack thanks for the help

The humming means there is air in the system. Jack the car up (both front wheels off the ground) with the car running, rotate the steering wheel to far left to far right a LOT. The sound will go away, and the steering should get easier.

Racks to go out, but it seems weird that this happened after you put the new pump on, am I correct?

QuoteReply
wizzy214
post Jul 3 2010, 11:55 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 52,365
Drives: 1996 850 turbo

QUOTE (chadman551 @ Jun 23 2010, 11:07 AM)

a "new" power steering pump or one from a wrecking yard? sounds like a bad pump.

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest Volvo 850 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Volvo Show On April 6th, Davis, Ca
1 GROM Audio 65 7th April 2014 - 06:16 PM
Last post by: GROM Audio
No New Posts Volvo Satisfaction Down Under
Happy Owner in Oz
0 Platypup 42 1st April 2014 - 10:32 PM
Last post by: Platypup
No New Posts Volvo Parts - Australia
2 voluto.com.au 370 24th March 2014 - 09:11 PM
Last post by: voluto.com.au
No New Posts Volvo S40 Timing Belt
Timing belt just came loose
17 BadHenry 9,605 7th March 2014 - 09:42 PM
Last post by: difflock54
No New Posts Volvo 244 Diesel No Start. Please Help!
no crank, glow plug light flashes foronly a second
1 volvoduder240 139 2nd March 2014 - 03:33 PM
Last post by: danielm85948

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 03:16 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement