Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Replacement Of Engine Oil Cooler Lines, Lessons Learned
sleddriver
post Mar 25 2010, 06:45 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 67,756
Drives: 1998 V70 T5

While doing a survey from below my 98 V70 T-5, I traced an oil leak back to one of the oil cooler lines. I wiped it down, had another look in a few days, it was leaking at the same spot, between the hose and the metal ferrule.

I did some research to see what I was up against, and ordered the parts. He're some tips:

1. This job is a major PITA, and an oily one at that if you're not careful. You must be sure to not pinch any o-rings, otherwise they'll leak and you'll have to do it all over again. I also took the time to wipe down greasy, grimey parts, and clean up the mess.
  2. I picked up an oil absorbent pad at a marine store for one dollar which worked great. (Wish I'd thought of this before on other jobs . . .)
  3. An assortment of 1/4" drive extensions of various lengths, flexible adapters, u-joints, etc. are most helpful.
  4. Only resulted in a minimum loss of oil ~ 1/2 cup when I removed the OTH from the block.
  5. I don't see how anyone removes the T30 holding the lines to the oil thermostat housing (OTH), without removing the OTH first. My hats off to those who do!
  6. I removed the elusive 10mm bolt holding the lines to the engine block using a very short handled, short-throw mini ratchet.
  7. Be careful installing the new OTH o-ring! Very easy to FUBAR.
  8. Be sure to disconnect the neg. battery cable! I caused a large POP when installing the new lines from the top, shorting the metal pipe against something.
  9. I sprayed down/wiped off the OTH on my bench, being careful to not get any carb cleaner inside. Removed the green o-rings with a hooked dental pick and cleaned out the recesses with Q-tips.
  10. Removing the old hoses required quite a bit of pulling, twisting, and finageling. I seriously thought of cutting the old ones in half to make it easier.
  11. Watch out for greasy dirt getting into the OTH, block, new o-rings, new lines, etc.
  12. I didn't have any problems inserting the new metal oil lines into the OTH. Oil them first. Gentle rocking action. I zip-tied the two lines together close to the oil filter to keep them from shifting. Installed a new oil line flange, but the old one was fine after cleaning off the crud.
  13. The new hoses from Volvo come with green o-rings on one end, and new black o-rings, clear washers and new clamps on the other.
  14. Snap-ring pliers work great for expanding the metal collars where the lines attach to the radiator. I backed these up with nylon zip-ties.
  15. I had trouble reinstalling the elusive 10mm bolt to the engine block. I used a bit of blu-tack to hold the bolt head in the socket. At first I thought I got extremely lucky as my ratchet was clicking away. Then I discovered it was getting too tight before the head fully seated so I stopped. Didn't want to strip it. Tried again. No joy. So I left it off for now. The next project is the PCV system and I figured I'd have a better shot at it with the intake manifold out of the way. I temporarily zip-tied the upper line to the power steering line for support.
  16. I started the car to check for leaks with the pass wheel still off and the car still up on jack stands. I let it idle for ~15 minutes until the temp gauge was horizontal and the OTH was warm to the touch. No green o-ring leaks. No rectangular OTH leaks either. No leaks from either radiator fitting either. Success! VERY glad to be done with this one . . .

Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest 1G (1998-2000) S70, V70 & V70XC Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsEngine System Service Required .. But No Codes!
5 V70 Driver 3,059 7th July 2014 - 08:48 PM
Last post by: Teamac
No New Posts Oil And Smoke
I get a lot of oil and smoke.
1 Octa Gog 124 1st July 2014 - 07:01 AM
Last post by: danielm85948
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsEngine Computer Test
car runs better with vacuum tube disconnected
17 ThagSimmons 219 16th June 2014 - 01:57 AM
Last post by: danielm85948
No New Posts Oil Pan
How to remove
0 Fernando 226 3rd April 2014 - 07:28 AM
Last post by: Fernando
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsOil Leak Behind Engine Top / Smoke Coming From Burned Oil
1 flatlander84 400 11th March 2014 - 08:41 PM
Last post by: Deeks

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 28th July 2014 - 03:17 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement