Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Hits Hard Going Into Reverse
woody1948
post Jan 23 2010, 06:09 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 65,434
Drives: 1994 volvo 850

Good Day to all. I have a question, for the experts please. When I shift into Reverse, my 94 850 Canada, hits pretty hard. This doesn't happen going into Drive, Reverse only. The rpm is a little high, around 12 - 14k. Just wondering if there is a quick answer or can I hold off until spring. I should mention it is an automatic. Thanks to all in advance.
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
SeaMike
post Jan 23 2010, 08:25 PM
Post #2

Senior Veteran
Group Icon

Group: Super Mod
Member No.: 33,827
Drives: 1995 Volvo 850 GLE (Canada Car), Automatic

QUOTE (woody1948 @ Jan 23 2010, 05:09 PM)
Good Day to all. I have a question, for the experts please. When I shift into Reverse, my 94 850 Canada, hits pretty hard. This doesn't happen going into Drive, Reverse only. The rpm is a little high, around 12 - 14k. Just wondering if there is a quick answer or can I hold off until spring. I should mention it is an automatic. Thanks to all in advance.

Hey, did you clean the Throttle body yet?

Yes, 12 -14 k is way to high, and that is making it jerk when you go into reverse. reverse is NOT like first, it is a more direct from the engine to the wheels.

CLEAN the throttle body real good soon, it will help.

Are you going to do the Oil Trap when it gets warmer? Are there any good garages that can do it for you up there?

Mike

QuoteReply
woody1948
post Jan 23 2010, 08:53 PM
Post #3

QUOTE (SeaMike @ Jan 23 2010, 08:25 PM)
Hey, did you clean the Throttle body yet?

Yes, 12 -14 k is way to high, and that is making it jerk when you go into reverse. reverse is NOT like first, it is a more direct from the engine to the wheels.

CLEAN the throttle body real good soon, it will help.

Are you going to do the Oil Trap when it gets warmer? Are there any good garages that can do it for you up there?

Mike

Thanks for responding so quickly SeaMike. With the snow storm that is moving in on us I wish I were in Texas also.
Yes I will be cleaning the throttle body, not this week but the following, I will also do the oil trap that day. Got some firewood to cut this week. When it warms up I am going to be tied to this site, I have a Major amount of work I would like to do. The main belt, the ABS is squeaking a little at the end of the stroke, assorted small dash lights, both handbrake cables and shoes, both electric seats, I could go on. So in your opinion, if I can get the rpm slowed this should ease the hard shift? There are no garages in this area at all, closest is 3 hours from here, and not a nice drive in the winter.

QuoteReply
SeaMike
post Jan 23 2010, 09:58 PM
Post #4

Senior Veteran
Group Icon

QUOTE (woody1948 @ Jan 23 2010, 07:53 PM)
Thanks for responding so quickly SeaMike. With the snow storm that is moving in on us I wish I were in Texas also.
Yes I will be cleaning the throttle body, not this week but the following, I will also do the oil trap that day. Got some firewood to cut this week. When it warms up I am going to be tied to this site, I have a Major amount of work I would like to do. The main belt, the ABS is squeaking a little at the end of the stroke, assorted small dash lights, both handbrake cables and shoes, both electric seats, I could go on. So in your opinion, if I can get the rpm slowed this should ease the hard shift? There are no garages in this area at all, closest is 3 hours from here, and not a nice drive in the winter.

Have you had any lick with pulling codes?

yes, it should help, if crap builds up between the Throttle Body (butterfly valve) and the port its' self, that means it is keeping the throttle body valve open to far thus causing the engine to idle to high.

When will it start to get warmer up there?

Everything you need you should be able to get from FCP Groton, that way you can get it done all at one time...kinda

QuoteReply
woody1948
post Feb 1 2010, 09:57 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (SeaMike @ Jan 23 2010, 09:58 PM)
Have you had any lick with pulling codes?

yes, it should help, if crap builds up between the Throttle Body (butterfly valve) and the port its' self, that means it is keeping the throttle body valve open to far thus causing the engine to idle to high.

When will it start to get warmer up there?

Everything you need you should be able to get from FCP Groton, that way you can get it done all at one time...kinda

Thanks SeaMike, sorry I was so late responding. I was in the bush for a week and heading back tomorrow. I still have a bit of trapping to do and a little more wood, so I won't get anything done again this week. I haven't tried the codes, but I will. I will order the parts from FCP, they support this site and I will support them. I got the last few parts from them. It doesn;t warm up here until May, and it generally snows on the 24th weekend, that is fish opener. But I hope to get a heated garage for a day next week. Thanks again Mike.

QuoteReply
woody1948
post Feb 7 2010, 09:54 PM
Post #6

Quick question please. Should I remove the throttle body to clean it? Or can I clean it on the car? Thank You

QuoteReply
SeaMike
post Feb 7 2010, 11:06 PM
Post #7

Senior Veteran
Group Icon

QUOTE (woody1948 @ Feb 7 2010, 08:54 PM)
Quick question please. Should I remove the throttle body to clean it? Or can I clean it on the car? Thank You

You can clean it on the car. Use carb cleaner and a lint free rag, clean all the areas that the "butterfly" touches on the throttle body, test it to see if it sticks/binds in any way.

Also, clean all the linkage that runs from the throttle cable to the throttle body....make sure you use a grease that won't attract moisture, dirt and lube the little "ball joint" area on the throttle linkage.

Mike

QuoteReply
woody1948
post Feb 8 2010, 08:33 AM
Post #8

QUOTE (SeaMike @ Feb 7 2010, 11:06 PM)
You can clean it on the car. Use carb cleaner and a lint free rag, clean all the areas that the "butterfly" touches on the throttle body, test it to see if it sticks/binds in any way.

Also, clean all the linkage that runs from the throttle cable to the throttle body....make sure you use a grease that won't attract moisture, dirt and lube the little "ball joint" area on the throttle linkage.

Mike

Thanks again SeaMike for your response, I appreciate it.

QuoteReply
woody1948
post Feb 9 2010, 03:56 PM
Post #9

I cleaned my throttle body today, I thought I had done a good job. Also greased the two little ends on the connecting rod. Anyway, my rpm is up at 15k now, just a little worse than what it was/ Checked codes and got 223 on A1. Reset them as I put in a new Throttle Pos'n Sensor a couple of weeks back. Any ideas Mike?

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest Volvo 850 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Going Full Retard
When do I stop.
2 Square Jack 423 6th November 2013 - 02:37 PM
Last post by: Kiss4aFrog
No New Posts Reverse Light Switch ?
0 TylerFunnell 627 1st July 2013 - 06:07 AM
Last post by: TylerFunnell
No New Posts Hard To Start With Strong Battery
3 cyrusyn01 530 19th March 2013 - 06:14 PM
Last post by: danielm85948
No New Posts Hard To Start In Cold Weather
1 deadfan50 453 25th January 2013 - 07:15 PM
Last post by: danielm85948
No New Posts Going Througha Lot Of Oil?
4 Mr. BoostFTW 557 2nd November 2012 - 12:09 PM
Last post by: Mr. BoostFTW

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 24th October 2014 - 08:26 PM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement