Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> 2004.5 T5 Fwd Problems
mnojono
post Jan 8 2010, 04:12 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 33,655
Drives: 2004 s40 T5 FWD

Hey everyone,

Got some issues with my car, the problems are listed below, any ideas/suggestions would be greatful.

Symptoms:

1. Loud noise from front passenger side wheel area.
- only does it on right turns or when going over bumps
- only happens when the car is cold, when the car is warm the noise goes away
- vibration from 40 mph onwards, quite severe.
- car does not create the sound when turning and in neutral, so it only occurs when the car is under load.
- sound does not happen in reverse

Things that we have changed
- 3 weeks ago Volvo replaced the front shocks on both sides.
- we replaced the front passenger side CV's and axle.

Im thinking that maybe its the gearbox??

2. The check engine light is on in the vehicle. the codes we got are as follows.
-2281, 0300, 0301, 0302

The engine was missfiring, the 2281 means that there is an air leak between the Mass Air meter and the throttle body, the 301,302 will be the cylinders that are missfiring. 300 is that there was a missfire.

Things that we have changed.
- 3 weeks ago volvo said they found moisture in the cylinders and dried them out and replaced the spark plugs, they said this was the cause of the problem
- we replaced the mass air meter
- we replaced the ignition coils as per volvo's recommendation.
- we pulled the plugs, they all look clean with no moisture.

Volvo thinks its in the ignition, yet they havn't solved it yet.

Thanks for any input!
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
ckvoncan
post Jan 25 2010, 12:52 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 51,891
Drives: 2006 Volvo S40 2.4i

which scanner did you use to get those codes?

QuoteReply
russel
post Mar 15 2010, 04:44 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 56,809
Drives: 2004.5 S40 T5

not sure maybe you could describe the sound a little more, and I take it the codes keep popping up (seen any lack of fluids, anywhere, has the car sat in humid environment or have you used a pressure washer on the motor)?

QuoteReply
J-Dub
post Apr 7 2010, 08:33 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 71,214
Drives: 2005 Volvo S40 T5

I have a similar problem but its with my left front wheel bearings. The humming sound would become noticeable at 30+ miles (but quiets at 62mph or if I make a left turn). A buddy told me that its my front wheel bearings. It would also veer to the left while driving and would also vibrate pretty bad when making stops.

Simple test, jack your car up and rock the suspected tire... if it gives any play then its most likely your wheel bearings.

I ordered the front wheel hub assembly (I cannot just by the bearings but its all encased) and it came in the mail yesterday and will change it out today. Will keep everyone posted to my findings.

Does anyone by chance know what size Axle Nut Socket I need for a 2005 Volvo S40 T5? In addition to the torque requirements?

Best ,

J-Dub

QuoteReply
marshmallow11
post Apr 14 2010, 09:39 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 71,536
Drives: 2006 Volvo s40 T5 AWD

QUOTE (J-Dub @ Apr 7 2010, 09:33 AM)
I have a similar problem but its with my left front wheel bearings. The humming sound would become noticeable at 30+ miles (but quiets at 62mph or if I make a left turn). A buddy told me that its my front wheel bearings. It would also veer to the left while driving and would also vibrate pretty bad when making stops.

Simple test, jack your car up and rock the suspected tire... if it gives any play then its most likely your wheel bearings.

I ordered the front wheel hub assembly (I cannot just by the bearings but its all encased) and it came in the mail yesterday and will change it out today. Will keep everyone posted to my findings.

Does anyone by chance know what size Axle Nut Socket I need for a 2005 Volvo S40 T5? In addition to the torque requirements?

Best ,

J-Dub

J-Dub just so you know when you rock the tire with it lifted that does not test the wheel bearing it tests the tie rods as well as the ball joint depending on which way of rocking you are referring to

- rocking the tire side to side will test the tie rods and if there is play it could either be the inner tire rod or the outer tie rod and you should get that taken care of by someone who knows what they are doing as you will need to do a toe adjustment afterward with an alignment machine, it is important to do this as if the tie rod gets bad enough it could pop right out of the socket and there goes your wheel
- rocking top to bottom can check for ball joint play if you know what you're doing and what you're looking for or you can use a pry bar between the hub and control arm

as for your vehicle to me that definitely sounds like a wheel bearing and it should fix your problem. a wheel bearing will make the most noise (sounds like a humming) at about 50 km/hr (not sure about the miles conversion, im canadian lol) and since when you turn left it takes the wieght of the vehicle off the left side it should go away if that is your problem.

the real way to check a wheel bearing besides diagnosing from the noise while driving is to lift your vehicle on a hoist and get your buddy to drive it at about 50 km/h and touch the spring feeling for vibration. the wheel in question should have more vibration in the spring than the other driving wheels.

I hope this helps for future reference - don't mean to pick on you i just don't want you to get the wrong info =)

QuoteReply
marshmallow11
post Apr 14 2010, 09:46 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 71,536
Drives: 2006 Volvo s40 T5 AWD

for your misfire problem - did they ever do a compression test on your engine? because the fact that you have a missfire in both cylinders 1 and 2 makes me think that its possible that the two cylinders could be leaking between each other causing them to miss.
- this could be caused by a crack in the cylinder head or by a head gasket leaking between the two cylinders.

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest 2G (2004.5+) S40 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts T5 Tuning Questions
General info on 'chipped' cars?
2 smoli 1,049 5th September 2014 - 12:20 PM
Last post by: danielm85948
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsProblems With Dashboard Air Ducts
One has a fin loose and the other has foam and a yellow-white thing
0 qwertie64982 130 28th August 2014 - 05:07 PM
Last post by: qwertie64982
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsT5 Awd 2005 - Unknown Part - Small Rod
Broken Rod
8 albadea 411 10th March 2014 - 07:07 AM
Last post by: Platypup
No New Posts Problems With Grom Usb2-plus
Startup problems
0 Emil889 1,152 3rd February 2013 - 11:53 AM
Last post by: Emil889
No New Posts Problems To Look For In 1988 740 Turbo Wagon
1 cholyoke 2,054 10th January 2013 - 06:15 AM
Last post by: Jopower

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 21st October 2014 - 06:53 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement