Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> 940 Turbo Just Dies For No Reason! Help, Car goes dead
jlsmedes
post Jan 1 2010, 06:05 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 66,880
Drives: 1992 Volvo 940 Turbo

I have a 92 940 Turbo which runs great MOST of the time. Once in a while (and its becoming more frequent) the car just up and dies on me at a light or intersection. It goes dead, almost as if it's the alternator. But it's not. I lose steering, brakes, etc. All the dash lights go back on. But here's the weird part, it starts right back up like it's nothing. My mechanics can't figure it out unless it happens when they're in the car. Of course it never happens when they're in the car. Has this ever happened to anyone? It isn't the battery, just changed that. HELP ME! It's annoying and potentially very unsafe. I can't afford a new car. The car is great otherwise only 100K and looks super.
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
oldsrider
post Jan 3 2010, 10:32 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 66,966
Drives: 1996 960

The fuel pump circuit in the ECM/ECU might be going bad. There is a long serial number on it, you need to get that number off the box and find one with the same number. I found a few on EBAY when I was searching. Swap them out and see if the problem goes away. A problem like yours is near impossible to find unless the car dies and then stays dead LOL. that circuit needs to stay closed to track it down.

QuoteReply
jlsmedes
post Jan 3 2010, 10:59 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 66,880
Drives: 1992 Volvo 940 Turbo

Thank you! That would make it an electrical problem them? That makes sense. Very helpful. Thanks!!

QuoteReply
oldsrider
post Jan 4 2010, 12:05 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 66,966
Drives: 1996 960

I cant say for certain that the ECU is going bad, your symptoms are the same as ones I had in the past. It would be the first part that I swapped out......

QuoteReply
cerbie
post Jan 11 2010, 04:37 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 67,380
Drives: 93 940

Check your Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) (the home-base shaped black box on the rear of the throttle body). With the car off, you should hear a click as you move the throttle from closed to any open position, then another once fully open.

I can't say it's the same cause, but I just fixed the exact same symptoms in my new [to me] '93 NA. All it was was that switch not closing to tell it that it should run in idle, in which case it operates the Idle Air Control valve (IAC). Removing it and checking should take no more than ten minutes, mainly from fussing with the throttle tie-rod ball sockets, and, if you have cruise control, the top bolt on the throttle body.

Likewise, it could be the IAC itself, if it's not that or the ECU.

QuoteReply
docmot
post Jan 26 2010, 08:41 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 68,074
Drives: 1996 850 GLT

I had the exact same problem last summer and it turned out to be the power stage unit. There is a great reference floating around, "Diagnosing no starts for the 940" that pointed me right to it. You will need a multimeter to do the checks. If I can find the link or the file, I will post it up here for you.

QuoteReply
SykO
post Jan 27 2010, 05:10 AM
Post #7

Veteran
Group Icon

Group: Super Mod
Member No.: 19,150
Drives: 1989 740 SE AUTO, 1993 940GLE Turbo 2.0i

the power stage also known as ignition amplifier ... its a bosch part, relatively cheap and really easy to change. fails between 100k and 175k miles usually. i have mentioned it before, do a search on the site here as i have mentioned it a fair few times.

M

QuoteReply
SongBird12
post Jan 27 2010, 10:02 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 68,171
Drives: 1993 Volvo 940 Turbo

The same thing happened to me - I replaced the fuel pump relay located behind the ash tray - runs like a charm now. Hope this helps!

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest Volvo 940 & 960 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Helpful Automotive Articles
0 CarID 10 Yesterday, 07:52 AM
Last post by: CarID
No New Posts Help With Colour Code
0 Giff 188 2nd November 2014 - 05:00 AM
Last post by: Giff
No New Posts Help Finding Adjustment Bolt For Compressor 1992 Volvo
0 AgentMulderFBI 65 31st October 2014 - 03:13 PM
Last post by: AgentMulderFBI
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsFor Sale 2005 Volvo V50 2.4i
Volvo V50 in Texas
0 tylerdean 152 5th October 2014 - 08:39 AM
Last post by: tylerdean
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsNo Am Reception 2001 S60
6 mspopo 1,485 4th August 2014 - 08:19 PM
Last post by: YesNoMebbeSo

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 27th November 2014 - 01:37 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement