Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> 2000 Volvo S40 Transmission Fluid & Filter Change Advice Needed, 2000 Volvo s40 transmission fluid & filter change instructions nee
malysmiech
post Dec 25 2009, 02:50 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 66,521
Drives: 2000 Volvo s40

Hi,

I just purchased a used 2000 Volvo s40. I need instructions for changing the transmission fluid on the vehicle as it has 200K miles. I am unable to remove the transmission fluid dip stick to check the level level as it seems to be stuck and unable to be pulled out of the dipstick retainer. Please advise if there is a special way of pulling out the dipstick as I do not wish to break anything by pulling it out improperly.

I was advised by the Volvo dealership service department not to change the transmission fluid "ever" at all or else "you might ruin the transmission of the car". I do not feel comfortable with that as the car has 200K miles and want to have it run for a longer period of time still. So I have decided nevertheless to go forward with changing the transmission fluid and filter on the car. .

Please advise if the vehicle require a special expensive fluid replacement or can I just use Dextron3 transmission fluid?

Does the vehicle have a transmission filter?

Does the transmission pan have a pan gasket or do I need to use a forma gasket material of some sort?

Please kindly assist me in this matter with step by step instructions possible?

I am on medical disability with very limited financial resources
to have someone do it or me or for me to go and buy another car should the transmission go or if I break or ruin something.

Please feel free to post your replies or email me at: malysmiech@yahoo.com.

Thank you for your time and assistance in this matter and hope that you have a great day.
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
Joro74
post Feb 23 2010, 04:33 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 69,080
Drives: V40 1997

Attached you will find change oil procedures from the service manual. Looks like you have to purchase the oil from a Volvo since the specification is quite unclear. According to user manual you should not use regular Dextron III.

Here is a quotation from the service manual. TCM can be reset in Volvo service only.

The gearbox control module (TCM) has a counter for the oil quality. The counter counts up if the gearbox is exposed to too high a load or an ambient temperature that is too high. If the counter is not reset when the oil is drained or changed, there is a risk that a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) will be stored in faulty circumstances. Therefore it is important that the “Gearbox oil change” counter is reset.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Changing_Oil.pdf ( 101.45K ) Number of downloads: 118
Attached File  Checking_Oil_level.pdf ( 44.83K ) Number of downloads: 107

Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest 1G (1995-2004) S40 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Volvo?
Why Volvo?
0 supero 228 23rd September 2014 - 08:33 PM
Last post by: supero
No New Posts Volvo V40 T4 - Knob Safety Lock
5 KONE 1,414 15th September 2014 - 01:49 AM
Last post by: masud ali
No New Posts Volvo 240gl Wagon For Sale Near Perth Wa
Volvo 240GL wagon for sale near Perth WA
0 lee_ricketts1 174 6th September 2014 - 05:43 AM
Last post by: lee_ricketts1
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsVolvo 240gl Wagon For Sale
Selling 240GL
0 lee_ricketts1 330 2nd September 2014 - 10:02 AM
Last post by: lee_ricketts1
No New Posts Volvo Forum Is Boring!
not enough participation
2 supero 321 30th August 2014 - 11:30 AM
Last post by: danielm85948

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 24th October 2014 - 06:18 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement