Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> "coolant Level Low" Warning
okan
post Dec 19 2009, 12:40 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 66,277
Drives: 2010 Volvo XC 60 3.2 FWD

I purchased a new Volvo XC60 3.2FWD in September 2009. 3 days ago Coolant Level Low warning appeared on the information screen when I started the engine. Because the car is too new, I thought it was a sensor error. For that reason, I started and stopped the engine several times and it disappeared. The same warning appears every morning since then and disappears after the engine gets warmer few minutes later. Has anybody had the same issue? Can it be related to weather temperature which ranges between 22 - 33 degrees Fahrenheit?
Thanks.
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
DJ Prezi
post Feb 15 2010, 11:15 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 68,994
Drives: Volvo S60 T5

QUOTE (okan @ Dec 19 2009, 01:40 PM)
I purchased a new Volvo XC60 3.2FWD in September 2009. 3 days ago Coolant Level Low warning appeared on the information screen when I started the engine. Because the car is too new, I thought it was a sensor error. For that reason, I started and stopped the engine several times and it disappeared. The same warning appears every morning since then and disappears after the engine gets warmer few minutes later. Has anybody had the same issue? Can it be related to weather temperature which ranges between 22 - 33 degrees Fahrenheit?
Thanks.

This is normal. When temperatures are down inside the coolant box where is Antifreeze water getting smaller and when tempreture are normal antifreeze water is going bigger and thats why you see that message... lookslike your coolant level is need to put little volvo coolant water (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) but ask in your moto phohe or dealer

QuoteReply
mykael
post Feb 16 2010, 01:34 AM
Post #3

Senior

Member No.: 61,383
Drives: 200 Volvo C70 Convertible

Surprisingly enough, it means you need to put some more coolant in it. It evaporates from a new car just as fast as it does from an old car.

Sensors fine, it's just located at the bottom of the expansion tank so it can tell you when it's empty. As the coolant heats up it expands, partially filling the expansion tank and covering the sensor.

Don't fill the expansion tank to the top - there's a fill line on it. If you do fill it to the top, it'll spill over once the water heats up and expands (and the proper coolant is toxic so you really don't want it all over your engine).

Keep your eye on the coolant level though - if it needs more within a couple of months you might have a leak in your cooling system somewhere. You may be able to smell Maple Syrup around (or inside) the car if this is the case.

QuoteReply
nelryan
post Sep 24 2010, 07:06 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 78,988
Drives: XC60

I purchased a brand new XC60 in March 2010 and was getting repeated warnings such as "low coolant level, stop engine safely", "engine management failure - service required" and "child lock failure - service required". The car has been back with the dealer on numerous occassions and the warnings generally dismissed though the childlock mechanism on one side was replaced - unsuccessfully!

Having looked up the issue on this forum and others on the internet, I became increasingly concerned. I came across a recall in Australia which involved the same error (http://www.recalls.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/989103) but my fears were dismissed as there was no recall in Ireland. So they simply topped up the coolant level which was below minimum level. Surely this can't be normal for a car with less than 10,000 km that is less than 6 months old?

Yesterday 23rd September, whilst I was driving the vehicle in rush hour traffic, my fears were realised when I noticed smoke coming out from under the bonnet. When I tried to change gears to move out of traffic to safety, I realised that the clutch and gears no longer functioned. There was an overpowering burning smell, functionality of the car shut down and I had no choice but to abandon the car in traffic. The dealer came and towed the smoking car away...and I haven't heard a word from them since.

I am not saying what happened was related to the "low coolant level" warning or any of the other warnings - I am not a mechanic so I don't know. But I just want to advise other drivers of the XC-60 in Ireland of what happened to me. I consider myself very fortunate that I was not travelling at normal speeds when this occurred or I dread to think of the consequences. The error message says to stop the engine safely...surely this is an idication that something isn't right????

QuoteReply
fredc
post Nov 27 2010, 07:36 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 82,080
Drives: 2009 Volvo XC60 FWD

Thanks.

QuoteReply
fredc
post Nov 27 2010, 07:43 PM
Post #6

Thanks.

Sorry folks - haven't got the hang of this forum's protocols yet...

I had a similar problem yesterday morning, took it into the dealer and within two hours Volvo UK had informed the dealer that he should replace the engine! The dealer seemed as baffled as I was at this drastic action - the car has covered 22,000 miles. The dealer was not given any warning that I should stop driving the car in the meantime before the new engine is fitted.

QuoteReply
nelryan
post Dec 7 2010, 01:55 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (fredc @ Nov 27 2010, 08:43 PM)
Sorry folks - haven't got the hang of this forum's protocols yet...

I had a similar problem yesterday morning, took it into the dealer and within two hours Volvo UK had informed the dealer that he should replace the engine! The dealer seemed as baffled as I was at this drastic action - the car has covered 22,000 miles. The dealer was not given any warning that I should stop driving the car in the meantime before the new engine is fitted.

Did the dealer find out why Vovo recommended a full engine replacement? I am stiull fighting my case with Volvo - almost 3 months later!

QuoteReply
fredc
post Dec 7 2010, 03:09 PM
Post #8

No, not yet. The engine is being replaced next Monday and Tuesday, and I will be chasing them for an explanation. If I hear anything I'll post it. Good luck!

QuoteReply
nelryan
post Jan 14 2011, 04:43 PM
Post #9

Hi just to let you know that I have been told that the coolant needs to be checked every two weeks or so in these cars. Also the DMF clutch is extremely sensitive to the point that mine burnt out within 6 months even though I KNOW I wasn't "riding" the clutch. I am sooooo frustrated with this car and with Volvo. I have tried the legal route but no joy. The sooner I trade this car the better. I will never buy another Volvo again.

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest Volvo XC60 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

4 User(s) are reading this topic (4 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Warning Lights
warning lights not functioning.
13 kd24588 553 31st December 2012 - 09:25 AM
Last post by: kd24588
No New Posts Warning Messages
1 trev420 893 8th October 2012 - 09:15 AM
Last post by: danielm85948
No New Posts Warnings
Is it possible to cancel messages?
1 Enfrance 993 28th May 2012 - 09:27 PM
Last post by: Platypup
No New Posts Warning Message
Low Brake Fluid message won't go out
1 lsaling 1,153 5th January 2012 - 03:37 PM
Last post by: bufu
No New Posts Warning Lights Don't Turn Off '02 V70
1 rpward 901 8th September 2011 - 03:46 PM
Last post by: Dutch1009

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 30th July 2014 - 10:08 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement