Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> V70 Battery Dead...now Has Problems!, Charged battery and now has electrical trouble.
prollins
post Dec 12 2009, 12:53 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 65,959
Drives: 2001 Volvo V70 T6

I have a 2001 V70 t5.

Battery went dead and some controls, lights and sunroof didnt work.

I reset them by locking and unlocking the car manually..twice.

Most of the controls were fixed by doing this but the heating console is still not lit up and the heat wont come on.

I replaced the battery today and still no heat! It is supposed to be in the single digits tomorrow.. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/haha.gif)
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
jclark355
post Jun 27 2011, 10:53 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 91,441
Drives: 1988 240D & 2001 V70 T2.4

I had the same issues with the sunroof and front reading lights not functioning after a dead battery. Manual unlock/lock twice fixed the problem. Thank You!!!

QUOTE (prollins @ Dec 12 2009, 01:53 PM)
I have a 2001 V70 t5.

Most of the controls were fixed by doing this but the heating console is still not lit up and the heat wont come on.

I replaced the battery today and still no heat! It is supposed to be in the single digits tomorrow.. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/haha.gif)

QuoteReply
danielm85948
post Jun 28 2011, 05:49 AM
Post #3

Senior Veteran

Member No.: 74,889
Drives: volvo 940 se turbo 1991

QUOTE (prollins @ Dec 12 2009, 12:53 PM)
I have a 2001 V70 t5.

check the output from your alternator,and check the bushes ,they may be worn,if so change them,the bushes are bolted on to the rear, of your alternator,with two cross head screws.

QuoteReply
billshoff
post Sep 15 2011, 09:30 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 73,683
Drives: 2001 V70 T5

danielm85948 is probably right. You need to have your alternator rebuilt by a local shop. They'll test it free but I'll bet it needs a new voltage regulator (the brushes are part of the regulator). You're probably driving your car on battery power alone and when the battery is spent you'll stop dead in traffic.
I had my V70's alternator rebuilt for $157 and that included a new armature, too.

QuoteReply
johngrant67
post Sep 17 2011, 03:09 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 46,549
Drives: 1998 v70 xc

Another battery question: My son ran down the very old battery in my 2002 v70 xc by using the radio. I replaced the battery according to the owner's manual, now the heat/AC doesn't work. Everything else does, just no fan/heat/AC. The battery is the next size down from the original. Is it possible that it's too small for all the accessories? I locked/unlocked the car a couple of times, both with the remote and then by the key. No luck. Any ideas?

QuoteReply
danielm85948
post Sep 17 2011, 03:22 PM
Post #6

Senior Veteran

QUOTE (johngrant67 @ Sep 17 2011, 04:09 PM)
Another battery question: My son ran down the very old battery in my 2002 v70 xc by using the radio. I replace the battery according to the owner's manual, now the heat/AC doesn't work. Everything else does, just no fan/heat/AC. The battery is the next size down from the original. Is it possible that it's too small for all the accessories? I locked/unlocked the car a couple of times, both with the remote and then by the key. No luck. Any ideas?

check the output of the battery with a meter,if it is low charge it up. but they do loss there charge due to being old ,the plates in the battery break down.

QuoteReply
johngrant67
post Sep 17 2011, 04:04 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (danielm85948 @ Sep 17 2011, 04:22 PM)
check the output of the battery with a meter,if it is low charge it up. but they do loss there charge due to being old ,the plates in the battery break down.

Thanks for the response. I replaced the battery with one that is a group 47, which is smaller. I'm wondering if that has anything to do with why the fan/heat/AC doesn't come on.

QuoteReply
danielm85948
post Sep 17 2011, 08:19 PM
Post #8

Senior Veteran

QUOTE (johngrant67 @ Sep 17 2011, 05:04 PM)
Thanks for the response. I replaced the battery with one that is a group 47, which is smaller. I'm wondering if that has anything to do with why the fan/heat/AC doesn't come on.

it is the regulator on your bushes on the back of the alternator that give you the output ,not the size of the battery but due to the amount of charge your battery can hold,then the regulator will give less charge to the battery,so change the bushes.

QuoteReply
do-it-myself
post Sep 21 2011, 03:24 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 95,673
Drives: 2001 Volvo V70XC T5 AWD

if U disconnected the battery, or the battery died, while the AC/Heating unit was on, the system will shut down and will not come on automatically when you installed the new battery or recharged the old one.

to avoid problem, wait at least 5 minutes after turning the ignition switch off before disconnecting the battery. this will give the ECM enough time to store information! Very important!!!

To reset the AC/Heating system, you need to do the following:
0. be sure that the battery is good.
1. turn the AC/Heating panel, and everything else in the car, off. turn the key off.
2. wait 10minutes.
3. remove the cables from the battery posts, negative first.
4. touch the cables together and hold for a few minutes.
5. reinstall the cables, in the reverse order, to the battery posts.
6. turn the key on and restart the car and let it run for a few minutes.
7. turn the AC/Heating system on. it should work now!
8. celebrate!!!

If you take the car to the dealer, they will install a new environmental control module and charge you about $1200.
So... donate some money to an orphanage, a buddhist temple, a church, or other good cause.

Long Nguyen

QuoteReply
johngrant67
post Nov 21 2011, 05:52 PM
Post #10

Long,

Thanks for the reply. I didn't read this post until now, of course it's 35 degrees so this has been really fun.

I'm sorry to say that this didn't work. Just like before, there doesn't appear to be any power to anything in that particular panel (fan, heated seats, rear defrost, etc.) I also checked the fuses, no luck. Some other folks have suggested waiting 20 minutes after disconnecting the battery. Any thoughts?

John G.

QUOTE (do-it-myself @ Sep 21 2011, 03:24 PM)
if U disconnected the battery, or the battery died, while the AC/Heating unit was on, the system will shut down and will not come on automatically when you installed the new battery or recharged the old one.

to avoid problem, wait at least 5 minutes after turning the ignition switch off before disconnecting the battery. this will give the ECM enough time to store information! Very important!!!

To reset the AC/Heating system, you need to do the following:
0. be sure that the battery is good.
1. turn the AC/Heating panel, and everything else in the car, off. turn the key off.
2. wait 10minutes.
3. remove the cables from the battery posts, negative first.
4. touch the cables together and hold for a few minutes.
5. reinstall the cables, in the reverse order, to the battery posts.
6. turn the key on and restart the car and let it run for a few minutes.
7. turn the AC/Heating system on. it should work now!
8. celebrate!!!

If you take the car to the dealer, they will install a new environmental control module and charge you about $1200.
So... donate some money to an orphanage, a buddhist temple, a church, or other good cause.

Long Nguyen

QuoteReply
alanjackson2011
post Dec 3 2011, 10:46 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 94,531
Drives: 2001 -2002 V70T

I had exactly the same problem with my 2001 V70T. After a flat battery the air con panel and gear shift lights were dead. Just
the cigar lighter had power.

Volvo said they had never heard of the poblem. I bought a panel from Ebay that had a different number on - that didn't work.

I bought another with exactly the same number on and that did work. I noticed the original had a broken temp sensor behind the little grill.

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest 2G (2001-2007) V70, V70XC & XC70 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts V70 Engine Stalling ?
3 Ditterb 1,067 31st March 2014 - 04:13 PM
Last post by: bajanetix
No New Posts V70 D5 2002-07 Rear Door Lock Assembly
re fittiing
1 gkpots 358 13th December 2013 - 10:50 AM
Last post by: TheGreekMason
No New Posts Has Someone Used Amsoil Power Foam On Your S60 ?
0 ayakosan 320 3rd November 2013 - 09:13 PM
Last post by: ayakosan
No New Posts Battery Charging Problem/fault
Volvo s40 1.8 petrol - Alternator charging problem
1 volvos40eire 3,010 3rd November 2013 - 07:13 PM
Last post by: Orfeous
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsV70 Glt 1999, Too High Fuel Pressure
1 louksor 451 11th September 2013 - 05:30 PM
Last post by: danielm85948

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 22nd July 2014 - 10:26 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement