Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> "position Light Bulb Failure"
brandon82078
post Dec 8 2009, 05:13 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 65,766
Drives: 2004 Volvo XC90 and 2002 Volvo S60

I have a 2002 S60 2.5T. Recently, I got an error message stating "Position Light Bulb Failure". After researching the topic on these forums, it appears that this is likely a message you get when a brake light is out. I have checked all lights on my car (brake, turning, hazard, etc.) I cannot find any not working. Does anyone have another suggestion?

Thanks,
Brandon
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
Volvo Virgin
post Dec 8 2009, 05:51 PM
Post #2

Expert

Member No.: 17,785
Drives: 2001 Volvo S60 T S

It's not always noticable because each tail light consists of two bulbs - so it may appear that the tail light works alright but on closer inspection you might see that one of the bulbs is out.

Have you also checked the small side markers on the rear lights?

If in doubt give it a thump.

QuoteReply
jks2
post Dec 9 2009, 08:12 AM
Post #3

Senior Veteran
Group Icon

Group: Super Mod
Member No.: 4,518
Drives: 2007 Mercedes C230 Sport, 2007 Chevrolet Equinox (Daughter), 2003 Saab 9-3 (Son), 1996 Chevrolet Tahoe (Tow Vehicle), 2000 Ranger R83 Bass Boat

Common occurance. If you're getting the message then one of the lights is definitely out. When you replace, splurge on a packet of bulb grease ($1.29 USD) at Autozone. This will increse the life span of the bulbs greatly.

QuoteReply
dave0173
post Dec 14 2009, 12:36 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 56,853
Drives: 2003 S60 non turbo

I too had/have this problem with me its always one of the smaller bulbs in the rear. There are two of them on each side and they go all the time on my car. One other thing to check is the license plate bulbs there should be two on

QuoteReply
Volvo Virgin
post Dec 14 2009, 02:24 PM
Post #5

Expert

Nah, it won't be the licence plate bulbs - they don't even bring up a failure message when they blow (neither do the front side light bulbs)

QuoteReply
cdodsonrun
post Jan 5 2010, 12:57 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 67,047
Drives: 2005 Volvo S60R AWD

QUOTE (brandon82078 @ Dec 8 2009, 05:13 PM)
I have a 2002 S60 2.5T. Recently, I got an error message stating "Position Light Bulb Failure". After researching the topic on these forums, it appears that this is likely a message you get when a brake light is out. I have checked all lights on my car (brake, turning, hazard, etc.) I cannot find any not working. Does anyone have another suggestion?

Thanks,
Brandon

Found this for ya:

http://www.volvo-forums.com/index.php?s=&a...ost&p=51855

Have the same issue with mine.

QuoteReply
ibomark
post Jan 11 2010, 12:15 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 67,344
Drives: 2002 Volvo S-60 2.4T

Just wanted to say thanks for the info. on this forum! I just joined & have already repaired my "position light bulb failure" issue. MINE WAS BOTH LICENSE PLATE FRAME lamps were burnt out. Quick easy fix! Allen wrench & $3.99 + tax at auto zone. Forgot to purchase the grease someone recommended......
Thank You, ibomark

QuoteReply
dobes
post Jan 9 2011, 11:21 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 83,977
Drives: 2008 Volvo XC90

I have some words of wisdom for anyone replacing the rear position (parking/running) bulbs. If banging on the lense with your hand is an effective, but not a satisfactory solution and you want to remove the tail lamp assembly, when you loosen the two elongated nuts holding the assembly in place, be sure to pull them off the assembly studs/bolts and set them safely aside before pulling the assembly out of the body. Because the assembly bolts have a long, unthreaded shaft, the nuts will spin freely. If you think like I do, you may think they are held in place by some kind of retainer - NOT. When I pulled the assembly out, the elongated bolts promptly fell down into the space between the body skin and the secondary reinforcing skin that is welded to the exterior skin. After a trip to the hardware store, the purchase of a 24 inch flexible cable with a magnet clamped to the end and about four hours of fishing, I was finally able to retrieve the two nuts. I hope this helps someone avoid the problem. By the way, the bulb is apparently not making good contact again, and position bulb failure is indicated again. I may just go back to banging on the lense....

QuoteReply
Vermont
post Jan 9 2011, 12:20 PM
Post #9

Senior

Member No.: 80,050
Drives: 2002 Volvo S60

QUOTE (dobes)
". . . with a magnet clamped to the end and about four hours of fishing, I was finally able to retrieve the two nuts . . ."

Aren't you glad they were made of a ferrous metal !

It took me longer than that to realize that in Swedish, Position Lights = Parking Lights.

QuoteReply
jmcruz
post Jan 18 2011, 08:20 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 82,714
Drives: 2007 Volvo S 60 2.5T AWD

I recently had the "position light" message. It turned out to be the little red light in the side of the rear light. Further, it is a permanent part of the assembly. So, I had to have the entire assembly replaced. Luckily, it was still under warranty. I bought it at TASCA and they have a 90 day bumper to bumper.

I wonder how much that assembly would have cost if I had to buy it! The service tech told me it was shorted and was melting the plastic...and was traveling further along the assembly.

Just for the record, I also had a bad climate control module which they also replaced. Kudos to Tasca for standing by their warranty.

QuoteReply
Vermont
post Jan 18 2011, 08:56 PM
Post #11

Senior

Member No.: 80,050
Drives: 2002 Volvo S60

QUOTE (jmcruz)
I wonder how much that assembly would have cost if I had to buy it!

Tasca's website for parts will show you the Volvo MSRP and their own retail price to Customers like you (and me).

Tasca Volvo Parts

They often beat out aftermarket Non-Volvo prices.

QuoteReply
Deadlyne
post Feb 4 2011, 07:38 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 85,193
Drives: V70 XC

Hi guys! I'm a first time poster, multiple time self help reader! I really enjoy this forum!

Okay, so instead of starting my own thread, I too am having bulb failures. It seems like a magnitude of them. Since I purchased my 2001 V70XC last April, I've replaced countless bulbs, including but not limited to 3 dipped beams, both license plates, both brake, one driver side above brake, and both high beams. Now, to me, that seems a little excessive. At first I thought it was just that they were all the same age and were dying all at once. I've even had the "multiple bulb failures" appear innmy on board direction panel. Te interesting part? If I just leave them alone long enough (and just suffer through the being pulled over for inspection) they generally, eventually come back on. They come back on when they feel like it. It isn't like I've gone over a bump or pounded them with my first. It's almost like it has a mind of its own and is out to become the bane of my existence.

What you will probably say, I hope you won't say because while bulbs are relatively inexpensive, I feel as though I've spent a small fortune and too much time trying to figure this out. It is more than likely a short in the car and it travels down the line from bulb to bulb. That sounds costly to fix, so I'm hoping perhaps you have an alternate explanation?
Thank you so much for your time in reading these and responding post haste!

QuoteReply
Volvo Virgin
post Feb 4 2011, 12:22 PM
Post #13

Expert

I'm quite surprised to hear that the licence plate bulbs throw up a position light failure - unless things have changed in the CAN-BUS thingy since my 2001.

I have had both side light and number plate bulbs fail with no message what so ever - where as the indicators, dip, main, tail, brake and fog lights all give a message.

The only one that ever gave me real problems were the front indicators - they threw up intermittent failures regardless of what I tried and was eventually solved by replacing the bulb holders.

The last problem I had was not a bulb failure message but a check brake light message and that was intermittent and turned out to be the relay in the boot.

Deadlyne, not really sure that your problem would be a short as such - perhaps there is a fault in the control unit that monitors the bulbs.
Head light bulbs are quite a common failure and often put down to the fact they can be on all the time or get contaminated when fitting.
You say your's seem to come back on - is this all the bulbs or just certain ones?
Do the bulbs look OK when you check them - are the filaments or the glass discoloured?

Not sure there is much you can do apart from using a good quality bulb, making sure the bulb and the contacts are clean and tight - or using the bulb grease to improve the connection.

QuoteReply
danielm85948
post Feb 4 2011, 04:48 PM
Post #14

Senior Veteran

Member No.: 74,889
Drives: volvo 940 se turbo 1991

QUOTE (Deadlyne @ Feb 4 2011, 08:38 AM)
Hi guys! I'm a first time poster, multiple time self help reader! I really enjoy this forum!

Okay, so instead of starting my own thread, I too am having bulb failures. It seems like a magnitude of them. Since I purchased my 2001 V70XC last April, I've replaced countless bulbs, including but not limited to 3 dipped beams, both license plates, both brake, one driver side above brake, and both high beams. Now, to me, that seems a little excessive. At first I thought it was just that they were all the same age and were dying all at once. I've even had the "multiple bulb failures" appear innmy on board direction panel. Te interesting part? If I just leave them alone long enough (and just suffer through the being pulled over for inspection) they generally, eventually come back on. They come back on when they feel like it. It isn't like I've gone over a bump or pounded them with my first. It's almost like it has a mind of its own and is out to become the bane of my existence.

What you will probably say, I hope you won't say because while bulbs are relatively inexpensive, I feel as though I've spent a small fortune and too much time trying to figure this out. It is more than likely a short in the car and it travels down the line from bulb to bulb. That sounds costly to fix, so I'm hoping perhaps you have an alternate explanation?
Thank you so much for your time in reading these and responding post haste!

change the bulb failure relay.

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest 2009 and Below S60 Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Bulb Failure Sensor Replacement - '89 240 Wagon
1 Alex Turkovic 1,120 31st March 2012 - 03:39 PM
Last post by: danielm85948
No New Posts Lights Won't Light But Sometimes Do?
problem with front passenger side marker lights xc70
4 MJay 1,018 19th December 2011 - 09:07 AM
Last post by: himinimalz
No New Posts Lights For Volvo S60
2 Oz1984 1,663 15th November 2011 - 12:32 PM
Last post by: Oz1984
No New Posts Bulb Replacement - Dash V70 2001 Model
remove dash in 2001 V70
0 SirGeoff 1,196 15th November 2011 - 04:32 AM
Last post by: SirGeoff
No New Posts Lighting Upgrade
5 305_S40 958 18th October 2011 - 09:26 PM
Last post by: Zach Smith

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 23rd April 2014 - 06:22 PM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement