Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> 2010 Volvo Xc60 - Engine Oil & Oil Filter Change
Shoyuuuu
post Nov 21 2009, 07:36 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 64,962
Drives: 2010 Volvo XC 60 T6 AWD

I recently purchased a 2010 Volvo XC60 T6 3.0L AWD. Volvo uses a cartridge type oil filter on newer vehicles. The recommended oil and filter change by Volvo is every 7,500 miles. However, changing your oil and oil filter every 3,000 miles could extend the life of your car, improve performance and fuel consumption.

Before starting the oil change, idle the car for about 5-10 minutes to warm up the oil in the engine. Cold oil won't drain properly. Turn off the engine, make sure the shift is in park and the electronic parking brake is engaged. Jack up the front end of the car according to your vehicle Owner's Manual and place on jack stands or blocks making sure the back tires are chocked to prevent the car from rolling.

Next, remove the protective splash guard under the engine to get to the oil drain plug. There are eight TorX T30 head screws holding the splash guard in place. Remove the screws and pull down on either side to release the splash guard.

Locate the oil drain plug. Line the garage floor with several layers of newspaper under the area beneath the oil drain plug to catch any spills. Position an oil drain pan under the oil drain plug and allow for the oil to shoot out when you first remove the plug. Using a 17MM box or crescent wrench, loosen the oil drain plug turning counterclockwise. Then by hand, slowly unscrew the oil drain plug being careful not to drop the plug into the oil drain pan. Also, the oil may be hot so be careful to keep your face away from the stream of oil that will shoot out. Remove the oil filler cap on top of the engine while draining the oil so that the oil will drain more freely. If you're not in a rush, let the oil drain for a good half an hour or longer to make sure all the dirty oil has completely drained. Have shop towels handy to wipe up any mess.

While the oil is draining, locate the oil filter housing in the engine compartment on the passenger side below the power steering reservoir. Look for a black plastic cap with a big hex nut on top. There's little room to work. Detach the power steering reservoir and move it to the side. Do not detach any hoses from the power steering reservoir. To detach the power steering reservoir, you'll need to wedge a small flat head screwdriver under the small clip holding the reservoir. There's a catch in the hole of the clip so wiggle the clip side to side and it should slide right off. Make sure you don't drop the clip in the engine compartment. You'll need this clip to re-attach the power steering reservoir later. Slide the reservoir off the bracket and move it to the left. You'll now have just enough room to remove the oil filter. Clean the area around the oil filter cap and housing with a clean rag. You don't want to get any dirt in the oil filter housing when you remove the cap.

Now loosen the black plastic oil filter cap using a 6 PT 36MM socket turning counterclockwise. It's recommended not to use a 12 PT socket because it could round the plastic hex nut on the oil filter cap. Buy an Oil Filter Cap Socket like the one pictured below. (Low profile and fits perfectly. About $13 online) You'll need a 10" extension and universal joint to reach the oil cap. Continue to unscrew the oil filter cap by hand and wait a few minutes to allow the oil in the housing to drain off. Now remove the oil filter cap, pulling out the oil filter cartridge at the same time. Clean the threads on the cap and inside the housing with a clean rag making sure dirt doesn't get inside.

Attached File  Oil_Filter_Cap__Medium_.JPG ( 215.68K ) Number of downloads: 175
Attached File  Power_Steering_02__Medium_.JPG ( 190.22K ) Number of downloads: 145
Attached File  Oil_Filler_Cap__Medium_.JPG ( 232.91K ) Number of downloads: 124
Attached File  Oil_Filter_30750013.jpg ( 23.63K ) Number of downloads: 139
Attached File  Oil_Cap_Socket_36MM__Medium_.jpg ( 179.35K ) Number of downloads: 159
Attached File  Magnetic_Oil_Drain_Plug_Socket_17MM__Medium_.jpg ( 120.58K ) Number of downloads: 140

Your 2010 XC60 uses a Volvo OEM replacement oil filter cartridge #30750013. The kit usually comes with a new oil filter cartridge, rubber O ring gasket and aluminum crush washer for the oil drain plug. Remove the old rubber O ring gasket on the cap and replace it with a new one that comes with the filter. Spread a thin film of clean oil on the gasket with your finger, insert the new oil filter cartridge onto the cap and install the cap and filter into the housing. Thread the cap clockwise by hand at first making sure it's threading properly, then tighten with the 6 PT 36MM socket. Do not over tighten the cap. Volvo recommends a torque specification of 25+5 Nm. Reattach the power steering reservoir with the clip.

Now that the oil has completely drained, go back under the car and replace the oil drain plug with a new aluminum crush washer. Do not over tighten the drain plug. Just make it snug tight. Reinstall the splash guard making sure not to over tighten the TorX screws or you will crack the nylon fasteners. Remove the jack stands and lower the car back down.

Add the recommended oil for your XC60, depending upon your driving habits and climate conditions. Check your owner's manual for engine oil specifications. I prefer to use Castrol SYNTECH motor oil. Castrol website: http://www.castrol.com/castrol/productdeta...ntentId=6030793

To add new motor oil, remove the oil filler cap on top of the engine and insert a short wide funnel into the oil filler hole. The oil capacity for the 3.0 T6 is 7.82 quarts or 7.4 liters. Almost all the oil will drain so you'll need about 7-8 quarts of motor oil handy. Proceed to pour motor oil into the funnel being careful not to spill oil onto the engine. Wipe up any oil spills immediately with a clean rag. After pouring about 5 quarts of oil, check the dip stick for the oil level. Keep checking the dip stick as you pour more oil a little at a time allowing the oil to settle until you reach the proper oil level. Do not over fill. Run the engine for a few minutes and turn the engine off. Wait about 10 minutes to allow the oil to settle before checking the dip stick again. When you have filled the engine with the proper level of motor oil, replace the oil filler cap.

Lastly, check under the vehicle for any leaks and you're done. Check your oil dip stick for proper oil level once a week. Keep a mileage record of all your oil changes so you'll know when it's ready to change your oil again.

I hope this post will help extend the life of your Volvo. Happy driving!
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
Dragon Slayer
post Jun 7 2010, 12:31 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 73,741
Drives: 2010 XC60 T6 AWD

Great step by step instructions. Exactly as you described. Oil change was simple to do...Thanks!

QuoteReply
tam85
post Jul 17 2010, 04:32 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 71,243
Drives: 2000 volvo

i hope this link will also help on how to remove your oil filter, there are also videos available on the site so you can follow the instructions correctly. http://www.ehow.com/video_2328205_remove-r...oil-filter.html

QuoteReply
The Doc
post Jul 17 2010, 01:26 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 75,556
Drives: Volvo's

Why open the drain plug and then go up top to open the oil filter? That is not effecient working. Open the oil filter housing, then drain the oil, and then replace the oil filter. And always Replace the crush washer on the drain plug.

QuoteReply
Shoyuuuu
post Jul 17 2010, 01:49 PM
Post #5

Great tips guys...thanks!

QuoteReply
chameleon_blue_x...
post Jul 23 2010, 12:32 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 74,773
Drives: 2010 XC60 T6

Playing devil's advocate, multiple studies have shown that the need for an oil change every 3,000 miles is a fictitious fact made up by motor oil & car companies. With advances in both engine design and motor oil quality, most cars oil only needs to be changed between 5-10k miles. That is probably why Volvo suggest 7,500 since that's the midpoint. With synthetics, that jumps to 15k-20k miles.

I forget the amount of barrels of oil that would be saved per year, but it was substantial. Also, BMW (and probably a few others) has a built in tester that routine test the quality of oil in the car. When the oil test fails, the change oil message appears. There have been discussions about making this mandatory as a way to decrease overall oil consumption in the US. Myself, I tend to do 10k unless the dealer is paying for them to be done more often.

Just another point of view…

QuoteReply
The Doc
post Jul 23 2010, 04:28 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 75,556
Drives: Volvo's

QUOTE (chameleon_blue_xc60 @ Jul 23 2010, 12:32 PM)
Playing devil's advocate, multiple studies have shown that the need for an oil change every 3,000 miles is a fictitious fact made up by motor oil & car companies. With advances in both engine design and motor oil quality, most cars oil only needs to be changed between 5-10k miles. That is probably why Volvo suggest 7,500 since that's the midpoint. With synthetics, that jumps to 15k-20k miles.

I work on cars every day that do oil changes at the intervals you are speaking of and these engines are near death. Not only do most need turbos because the grime and carbon plug the oil in lines and causes the seals to go bad, they also need the oil pans removed and the pick up tubes cleaned. I have pictures that i cant seem to find right now, but ill get some next time i tear apart an engine with 70k miles and needs a turbo, new engine, or oil pan R&R to clean out all the carbon and blockage on the oil pick up tube. 3k miles is over kill for synthetic, i would recommend 4500-5000 miles, but with conventional oil in turbo engines, i say 3k miles like clockwork!! DO NOT KILL YOUR CAR!! This is cheap insurance to prohibit excessive carbon build up and failed vital engine parts.

QuoteReply
banddr2
post Nov 7 2010, 04:24 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 72,457
Drives: xc60

Thanks for the write up, it is very helpful.

I changed my oil for the first time and everything went well, but how do you reset the chainge oil code on the dash display. I tried different combinations with the key fob and the trip odo button, but no luck yet.

QuoteReply
barontarl
post Dec 1 2010, 01:29 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 82,277
Drives: 2011 Volvo xc 60

OK so you know how to do the oil change that is the easy part what did you do aabout the maintenance light. three messages can appear when oil change is needed. first is oil change needed, second is maintenance over due, and third book time for maintenance.
Can any one tell me how to reset these messages.
I can do it on a older model with key switch ignition but not the push button ignition.

QuoteReply
Shoyuuuu
post Jan 16 2011, 02:23 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (barontarl @ Dec 1 2010, 02:29 PM)
OK so you know how to do the oil change that is the easy part what did you do aabout the maintenance light. three messages can appear when oil change is needed. first is oil change needed, second is maintenance over due, and third book time for maintenance.
I can do it on a older model with key switch ignition but not the push button ignition.

See my new post on How to Reset Service Reminder Indicator

QuoteReply
Star4Ever
post Feb 14 2011, 10:35 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 85,449
Drives: Crossfire 2004, Toyota Camry Hybrid 2009

Thanks so much for the clear instructions. Great Job!

QuoteReply
Ray Smith
post Apr 23 2011, 01:04 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 64,904
Drives: C70

Don't forget that the filter needs to be removed BEFORE putting the drain plug back in (I have seen this happen) because there is a Black valve that needs to be in the UP position when draining oil if not there will be about 1/2 quart of old oil remaining in the system because of that valve. That's why I pull the filter first.

QuoteReply
Shoyuuuu
post Jun 15 2011, 12:48 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (barontarl @ Dec 1 2010, 01:29 PM)

2008-2010 Volvos with starter push button on dashboard

* The trip odometer must have at least 0.1 mile on it or the light will not reset.
* Get in vehicle and do not push down on the brake pedal
* Put the key in the slot and push the starter button once
* Press and hold down the odometer reset button
* While doing this, push the starter button again and hold for 2 seconds
* Keep the odometer reset button held in and watch the instrument cluster for the general warning indicator (I) to illuminate. When this happens, release the button.
* Turn the vehicle off then back on and verify the message is now out.

I hope this helps.

QuoteReply
JFoley
post Oct 5 2011, 09:04 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 86,606
Drives: 2011 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD

QUOTE (Shoyuuuu @ Nov 21 2009, 08:36 PM)
I recently purchased a 2010 Volvo XC60 T6 3.0L AWD. Volvo uses a cartridge type oil filter on newer vehicles. The recommended oil and filter change by Volvo is every 7,500 miles. However, changing your oil and oil filter every 3,000 miles could extend the life of your car, improve performance and fuel consumption.

Before starting the oil change, idle the car for about 5-10 minutes to warm up the oil in the engine. Cold oil won't drain properly. Turn off the engine, make sure the shift is in park and the electronic parking brake is engaged. Jack up the front end of the car according to your vehicle Owner's Manual and place on jack stands or blocks making sure the back tires are chocked to prevent the car from rolling.

Next, remove the protective splash guard under the engine to get to the oil drain plug. There are eight TorX T30 head screws holding the splash guard in place. Remove the screws and pull down on either side to release the splash guard.

Locate the oil drain plug. Line the garage floor with several layers of newspaper under the area beneath the oil drain plug to catch any spills. Position an oil drain pan under the oil drain plug and allow for the oil to shoot out when you first remove the plug. Using a 17MM box or crescent wrench, loosen the oil drain plug turning counterclockwise. Then by hand, slowly unscrew the oil drain plug being careful not to drop the plug into the oil drain pan. Also, the oil may be hot so be careful to keep your face away from the stream of oil that will shoot out. Remove the oil filler cap on top of the engine while draining the oil so that the oil will drain more freely. If you're not in a rush, let the oil drain for a good half an hour or longer to make sure all the dirty oil has completely drained. Have shop towels handy to wipe up any mess.

While the oil is draining, locate the oil filter housing in the engine compartment on the passenger side below the power steering reservoir. Look for a black plastic cap with a big hex nut on top. There's little room to work. Detach the power steering reservoir and move it to the side. Do not detach any hoses from the power steering reservoir. To detach the power steering reservoir, you'll need to wedge a small flat head screwdriver under the small clip holding the reservoir. There's a catch in the hole of the clip so wiggle the clip side to side and it should slide right off. Make sure you don't drop the clip in the engine compartment. You'll need this clip to re-attach the power steering reservoir later. Slide the reservoir off the bracket and move it to the left. You'll now have just enough room to remove the oil filter. Clean the area around the oil filter cap and housing with a clean rag. You don't want to get any dirt in the oil filter housing when you remove the cap.

Now loosen the black plastic oil filter cap using a 6 PT 36MM socket turning counterclockwise. It's recommended not to use a 12 PT socket because it could round the plastic hex nut on the oil filter cap. Buy an Oil Filter Cap Socket like the one pictured below. (Low profile and fits perfectly. About $13 online) You'll need a 10" extension and universal joint to reach the oil cap. Continue to unscrew the oil filter cap by hand and wait a few minutes to allow the oil in the housing to drain off. Now remove the oil filter cap, pulling out the oil filter cartridge at the same time. Clean the threads on the cap and inside the housing with a clean rag making sure dirt doesn't get inside.

Attached File  Oil_Filter_Cap__Medium_.JPG ( 215.68K ) Number of downloads: 175
Attached File  Power_Steering_02__Medium_.JPG ( 190.22K ) Number of downloads: 145
Attached File  Oil_Filler_Cap__Medium_.JPG ( 232.91K ) Number of downloads: 124
Attached File  Oil_Filter_30750013.jpg ( 23.63K ) Number of downloads: 139
Attached File  Oil_Cap_Socket_36MM__Medium_.jpg ( 179.35K ) Number of downloads: 159
Attached File  Magnetic_Oil_Drain_Plug_Socket_17MM__Medium_.jpg ( 120.58K ) Number of downloads: 140

Your 2010 XC60 uses a Volvo OEM replacement oil filter cartridge #30750013. The kit usually comes with a new oil filter cartridge, rubber O ring gasket and aluminum crush washer for the oil drain plug. Remove the old rubber O ring gasket on the cap and replace it with a new one that comes with the filter. Spread a thin film of clean oil on the gasket with your finger, insert the new oil filter cartridge onto the cap and install the cap and filter into the housing. Thread the cap clockwise by hand at first making sure it's threading properly, then tighten with the 6 PT 36MM socket. Do not over tighten the cap. Volvo recommends a torque specification of 25+5 Nm. Reattach the power steering reservoir with the clip.

Now that the oil has completely drained, go back under the car and replace the oil drain plug with a new aluminum crush washer. Do not over tighten the drain plug. Just make it snug tight. Reinstall the splash guard making sure not to over tighten the TorX screws or you will crack the nylon fasteners. Remove the jack stands and lower the car back down.

Add the recommended oil for your XC60, depending upon your driving habits and climate conditions. Check your owner's manual for engine oil specifications. I prefer to use Castrol SYNTECH motor oil. Castrol website: http://www.castrol.com/castrol/productdeta...ntentId=6030793

To add new motor oil, remove the oil filler cap on top of the engine and insert a short wide funnel into the oil filler hole. The oil capacity for the 3.0 T6 is 7.82 quarts or 7.4 liters. Almost all the oil will drain so you'll need about 7-8 quarts of motor oil handy. Proceed to pour motor oil into the funnel being careful not to spill oil onto the engine. Wipe up any oil spills immediately with a clean rag. After pouring about 5 quarts of oil, check the dip stick for the oil level. Keep checking the dip stick as you pour more oil a little at a time allowing the oil to settle until you reach the proper oil level. Do not over fill. Run the engine for a few minutes and turn the engine off. Wait about 10 minutes to allow the oil to settle before checking the dip stick again. When you have filled the engine with the proper level of motor oil, replace the oil filler cap.

Lastly, check under the vehicle for any leaks and you're done. Check your oil dip stick for proper oil level once a week. Keep a mileage record of all your oil changes so you'll know when it's ready to change your oil again.

I hope this post will help extend the life of your Volvo. Happy driving!

Thanks for the instructions, they were helpful. Only part that is not so easy is getting the filter and the filter cap out of the engine compartment. Even with the power steering reservoir moved to the side I couldn't get the cap and filter out. I ended up getting the filter off, and got the new one on, without getting the cap out.

If anyone knows a trick, please let me know.

PS: I found it did not matter if the trip ODO had 0.1 on it or not. Reset of the maintenance light worked no problem. (2011 T6)

QuoteReply
Shoyuuuu
post Oct 11 2011, 03:00 AM
Post #15

QUOTE (JFoley @ Oct 5 2011, 09:04 PM)
Thanks for the instructions, they were helpful. Only part that is not so easy is getting the filter and the filter cap out of the engine compartment. Even with the power steering reservoir moved to the side I couldn't get the cap and filter out. I ended up getting the filter off, and got the new one on, without getting the cap out.

If anyone knows a trick, please let me know.

PS: I found it did not matter if the trip ODO had 0.1 on it or not. Reset of the maintenance light worked no problem. (2011 T6)

My instructions for changing the oil filter was for a 2010 XC60 T6 model. They must have made some changes to the engine design in the 2011 model.

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest Volvo XC60 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Volvo V 50 Se Sport D (e4)?
0 bemshawn 78 17th December 2014 - 02:35 AM
Last post by: bemshawn
No New Posts Volvo 740 Stalling/power Loss Issue?
1 bemshawn 204 5th December 2014 - 04:40 AM
Last post by: highvoltj
No New Posts Volvo 240 Sputtering, Stalling, And Not Starting Well
Volvo 240 Sputtering, Stalling, and Not Starting Well
0 raven+crow 211 3rd December 2014 - 12:38 PM
Last post by: raven+crow
No New Posts Volvo S40 2005 (diesel) P2584 Code Error?
0 bemshawn 91 1st December 2014 - 02:43 AM
Last post by: bemshawn
No New Posts Volvo 960 Auto Not Starting...?
1 bemshawn 161 24th November 2014 - 05:09 AM
Last post by: danielm85948

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 22nd December 2014 - 04:19 PM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement