Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor Help
C Jerome
post Nov 2 2009, 09:51 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,828
Drives: 1998 C70 Coupe

Hi. I have a 1998 C70 coupe, the other day my check engine light came. Stopped by my local shop this morning and had them check the code, said it was the coolant temp sensor. Also checked a little under the hood. I trust the mechanic and believe this is an accurate diagnosis. Quote to fix worst case is about $125 includes parts and labor. Made a appointment for the 17th and went home.
Then I thought maybe I could do this my self, save & have a nice sense of accomplishment... I was recently laid off form my job so I am trying to reduce spending where possible and I have the free time. I am handy with stuff but not an expert mechanic (ex: last fall i removed the abs module to be sent in for a rebuild and put it back in, abs working strong!).
Questions
-Is the temp sensor replacement on a similar level of difficulty?
-Do I need to drain the coolant to replace the sensor?
Should I drain the coolant to replace the sensor, and if I do, do I need to use volvo coolant as a
replacement?
- Should I replace the thermostat at the same time?
-Where would you recommend purchasing the sensor from, any sites with consistently good
pricing/service?
-How tight do I tighten the sensor and anything else I should know that might trip me up?
I have seen this tutorial as well, but still have the above questions. Have you see nay other tutorials around, I always like to review a few if possiblehttp://volvospeed.com/Repair/thermect.php

Thanks for your help
Jerome

PS: another unrelated problem I have been having for a long time is with the climate control, on long drives the temp tends to drift down toward the cold side, is it possible this temp sensor is bad too? Where is it located in the cabin? Maybe I can dust it off or clean it and if thats not possible then order a new one with the above parts.
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
MKC70
post Nov 3 2009, 12:57 AM
Post #2

Expert

Member No.: 23,913
Drives: 1999 Volvo C70 coupe

Questions
-Is the temp sensor replacement on a similar level of difficulty?
-Do I need to drain the coolant to replace the sensor?
Should I drain the coolant to replace the sensor, and if I do, do I need to use volvo coolant as a
replacement?
- Should I replace the thermostat at the same time?
-Where would you recommend purchasing the sensor from, any sites with consistently good
pricing/service?
-How tight do I tighten the sensor and anything else I should know that might trip me up?

-yes
-no,any phosphate free
-why not
-IPD,FCP,local dealer
-follow the write up
PS: another unrelated problem I have been having for a long time is with the climate control, on long drives the temp tends to drift down toward the cold side, is it possible this temp sensor is bad too? Where is it located in the cabin? Maybe I can dust it off or clean it and if thats not possible then order a new one with the above parts.

Right side of steering wheel by the dash switches. Small horizontal grill. Just use some compressed air or replace it if needed. Normally though you will get the ECC lights flashing upon start up for this error.

QuoteReply
C Jerome
post Nov 3 2009, 02:41 PM
Post #3

Okay, I am going to do this myself!
Another site refered me to DW Volvo and their prices are the best by far, I think they said 11.58 for the therm. and 35.99 for the sensor both OEM, will post exactly when I get the invoice.
I am ordering both.

My follow up questions are
About how much coolant is in the car, I want to make sure I have a proper size container to hold the waste
Is there any sort of secret to re filling the coolant after I drain and replace the parts? Can air get stuck in the system or anything like that?
Do I need to use volvo coolant or something special?
What ratio of coolant to water, I am in upstate NY so it gets very cold in the winter and I dont swap the system during the summer.
Oh, and when I do this, does the car need to be on level ground? My apartment is on a street with an up sloping hill

I checked the price of the interior climate control temp sensor and its $20 or 22. I will dry dusting it off before I buy it.

Jerome

QuoteReply
C Jerome
post Nov 7 2009, 03:13 PM
Post #4

Okay, I drained the fluid this morning, flushed with water and re filled. In-between I replaced the thermostat and sensor. Put everything back together and turned on the car and the check engine light is still on, does it need to be re-set or did I screw up something? Are there any signs I need to watch for if I did screw it up some how. I let the engine idle with the heat on high until the coolant gauge came to the three o'clock position. Do I need to do anything to ensure there is not air trapped in the system, I know I need to go out now that its cool and top up the coolant overflow to the right level.
Jerome

QuoteReply
SeaMike
post Nov 9 2009, 12:12 AM
Post #5

Senior Veteran
Group Icon

Group: Super Mod
Member No.: 33,827
Drives: 1995 Volvo 850 GLE (Canada Car), Automatic

QUOTE (C Jerome @ Nov 7 2009, 02:13 PM)
Okay, I drained the fluid this morning, flushed with water and re filled. In-between I replaced the thermostat and sensor. Put everything back together and turned on the car and the check engine light is still on, does it need to be re-set or did I screw up something? Are there any signs I need to watch for if I did screw it up some how. I let the engine idle with the heat on high until the coolant gauge came to the three o'clock position. Do I need to do anything to ensure there is not air trapped in the system, I know I need to go out now that its cool and top up the coolant overflow to the right level.
Jerome

Hi, You need to reset the codes first.
It take 50/50 regular anti-freeze. I think it is like 2.5 gallons (I think)
After it has gotten to operating temp, check for leaks, take it for a 10 min drive, check the level in the system overflow bottle. After if has cooled down check it again.

QuoteReply
SeaMike
post Nov 9 2009, 12:16 AM
Post #6

Senior Veteran
Group Icon

Group: Super Mod
Member No.: 33,827
Drives: 1995 Volvo 850 GLE (Canada Car), Automatic

QUOTE (C Jerome @ Nov 7 2009, 02:13 PM)
Jerome

Our systems are mot like others, there is no way to bleed air from them as far as I know.
Also, because our cars don't have the unusual HIGH spots (hoses etc) that trap air.

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest Volvo C70 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Help With Colour Code
0 Giff 184 2nd November 2014 - 05:00 AM
Last post by: Giff
No New Posts Help Finding Adjustment Bolt For Compressor 1992 Volvo
0 AgentMulderFBI 63 31st October 2014 - 03:13 PM
Last post by: AgentMulderFBI
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsEngine System Service Required .. But No Codes!
6 V70 Driver 4,075 28th August 2014 - 04:06 AM
Last post by: alanjackson
No New Posts Engine System Service Required S80 2006 2.4d
0 S60D5SE 439 13th August 2014 - 03:17 PM
Last post by: S60D5SE
No New Posts Help! Throttle Actuator Stuck Open, Car In Limp Mode
1 deedatc 398 25th June 2014 - 05:20 PM
Last post by: danielm85948

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 25th November 2014 - 07:11 PM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement