Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Repair Estimate Anti Skid Service Required Volvo Xc90 2004, anti skid service required
stolli
post Oct 23 2009, 02:06 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 63,711
Drives: 4004 xc90

has anyone had this repaired? The anti skid service required message just lit up, wife is out of town in the car. is it OK to drive?
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
Jandonskie
post Dec 25 2009, 04:57 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 51,695
Drives: 2004 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD

QUOTE (stolli @ Oct 23 2009, 03:06 PM)
has anyone had this repaired? The anti skid service required message just lit up, wife is out of town in the car. is it OK to drive?

I had similar problem a while ago. I "accidentally" carried out wheel balancing and alignment work and found after 10mins that the message was gone!

QuoteReply
krisdg
post Jan 5 2010, 04:40 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 67,086
Drives: 2006 volvo XC90 D5 AWD

i had the same problem, phoned the volvo garage and they told me this had something to do with the safety systems of the car, the tracktion control, abs, ...
upon startup they are chekced and when one contol point is not up, safety systems are disabled.
this might occur when one optical point is eighter blocked (dirt-snow-...) or broke
often it repairs itself when the car is restarted
otherwise they will have to check it in the garage which point is broke

QuoteReply
klawer
post Jan 6 2010, 05:16 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 67,116
Drives: 2003 Volvo XC 90 T6 AWD

I have the "anti skid service required" message appearing as well, dealer told me it's the differential electronic module, DEM? They told me that solution was replacing the DEM (VERY expensive) or checking the wiring etc... How can I make sure they are not replacing a part that does not need replacing (when it may be just the wires)?

Thank you for the answers!

QuoteReply
johnp5509
post Jan 12 2010, 06:07 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 67,397
Drives: 2003 Volvo XC90 SE D5

Hi

Just joined the forum and looking through some similar messages I have on my '03 D5. I have the ABS warning light on and 2 messages 'Anti-skid/ABS service required' as well as 'braking system service required'. I took it to the Volvo main dealer and paid 50 for the diagnostic check and they told me that there was a brake sensor needs replacing. They quoted me nearly 500 for the work which included to replace the hub. Interestingly enough I recently had that hub replaced independently and shouldn't warrant a new one so would be careful about what main dealers say - they can just charge for what they want and simply rely on the computers to do the work, printing money so it seems!

Hope that helps.

QuoteReply
baraa
post Dec 27 2012, 11:43 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 113,798
Drives: 2004 volvo xc90 t6

QUOTE (klawer @ Jan 6 2010, 05:16 AM)
I have the "anti skid service required" message appearing as well, dealer told me it's the differential electronic module, DEM? They told me that solution was replacing the DEM (VERY expensive) or checking the wiring etc... How can I make sure they are not replacing a part that does not need replacing (when it may be just the wires)?

Thank you for the answers!

Hi .... I just had the same problem with my car and was looking everywhere to get the solution but couldn't
Anyways thought to register and share my experience with u guys.
I have Volvo 2004 xc90 awe t6 and had the anti skid service light on.
Took it to the Volvo mechanic and got him diagnostic..he told me it is the DEM which is known very expensive..he quoted me 2100$ for new one with labour and the 2nd quote was 1300$ with used one ...anyways he told me I can get a used one...so what I did ..I went to a Volvo Dismantler.."people parting out used cars"....I bought one for the same model and same engine size " really important to have it from same type of car and engine"
Then the guy told me he warranty the part for a month ...I paid 175$ for the part.
Then went to the Volvo mechanic he pluged it in and the antiskid service light went off!!!
The guy downloaded software to the car and everything now good.
By the way I just have a feeling when anyone know that need to change the DEM thinks it is a big deal...sometimes it is but I think the Mechanic try to charge u more...
The part is a small rectangular shape metal piece holder by 2 bolts...its located. At the end rear of the Adelaide u can easily see it and open it yourself
By changing it by yourself u may need only reprogramming by the mechanic which cost about 150$ only that's what I paid...
Sometimes u don't need to download the software...just plug and play....and by the way u can put the new used one and drive it to the mechanic to download the software without any problem...because theguy told me it is a low signal modual....
There is another solution also..which is take the DEM out of your car " just be careful a bit because there are 2 sensors inside it...don't worry just pull it out straight" and then ship it to (xemodex.com) they will fix it and resend it to u for about 480$ then u just plug it to your car...this way u don't need to download any software because u r using same modual for your car which has the program already.
I hope that would help some...if it helps u just please pray for my dad...he has cancer and hopefully. He gets better.
Thank u

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest Volvo XC90 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Volvo Forum Is Boring!
not enough participation
2 supero 55 30th August 2014 - 11:30 AM
Last post by: danielm85948
No New Posts Volvo 850 Cd Smokes Like Crazy But Runs Fine?
9 JeremyK 222 8th August 2014 - 12:25 PM
Last post by: danielm85948
No New Posts Volvo S60, V60 Polestar Pricing Announced
0 AutoGuide.com 157 7th August 2014 - 01:54 PM
Last post by: AutoGuide.com
No New Posts Topic has attachments2004 C70 Seven (double Spoke) Wheel
9 MJH 594 5th August 2014 - 05:48 PM
Last post by: MJH
No New Posts Service Diagrams For Volvos
Information only
0 YesNoMebbeSo 143 4th August 2014 - 07:17 PM
Last post by: YesNoMebbeSo

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 1st September 2014 - 02:31 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement