Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> 850t Blowoff Valve?
Dert850
post Oct 20 2009, 08:26 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 62,885
Drives: 1996 Volvo 850 Turbo Wagon, 1999 Volvo S80 T6

as far as i know 850 Turbos have a diverter valve. is there any way to change that to a blowoff valve and get that zzzzzzzzt chssst sound? it may sound a bit juvenile but i always wanted a car that sounds like that. what do you expect from a 19 year old?
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
lengendsecko87
post Oct 21 2009, 12:17 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 52,062
Drives: 1994 Volvo 850 Turbo 2.3L

QUOTE (Dert850 @ Oct 20 2009, 09:26 PM)
as far as i know 850 Turbos have a diverter valve. is there any way to change that to a blowoff valve and get that zzzzzzzzt chssst sound? it may sound a bit juvenile but i always wanted a car that sounds like that. what do you expect from a 19 year old?

Just open up the airbox or get a conical filter. with the opened element it will allow the Zzzzcht sound.

QuoteReply
FCPGroton
post Oct 21 2009, 10:11 AM
Post #3

Veteran

Member No.: 46,280
Drives: 2002 CLK 430

That is what I did on my 850 and it sounds great. You can install a plate to block off the CBV so that you can install a BOV.

QuoteReply
Dert850
post Oct 21 2009, 10:47 PM
Post #4

my brother suggested i remove the hose from the cbv to the inlet of the turbo? any second opinions before i try that?
buying a filter tomorrow for sure.
thanks guys

QuoteReply
FCPGroton
post Oct 22 2009, 10:46 AM
Post #5

Veteran

Member No.: 46,280
Drives: 2002 CLK 430

Do not remove that hose unless you have a BOV installed. Removing that hose will cause the CBV not to open under vacuum and cause the turbo to surge, which can destroy the turbo.

QuoteReply
TheGreekMason
post Oct 22 2009, 03:24 PM
Post #6

Expert Veteran
Group Icon

Group: Super Mod
Member No.: 31,123

you do understand, coming from a former 19 year old (41 who acts like a 12 year old), that to really benefit from a bzzt sound of a blow off valve, you will need to go further than just a simple filter change. to benefit from the valve properly you will need to get to a stage 2 tune, at least. the filter change will be beneficial in letting the engine breathe better. and the wow factor when you crack open the throttle. wheel spin, wheel spin.

QuoteReply
Dert850
post Oct 22 2009, 05:17 PM
Post #7

i know that its not going to increase performance at all. its strictly for my audible pleasure.
thanks for the heads up FCP.
Do you recomend any blowoff valves over any other?

QuoteReply
Dert850
post Oct 25 2009, 05:10 PM
Post #8

just finished removing my air box and installing a new k&n cone filter. had a tough time making it fit. the auto parts store did not have the coupler i needed. went to the hardware store and got a rubber plumbing coupler and made it work. sounds great
thanks guys

QuoteReply
ericthegreat
post Dec 18 2009, 06:52 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 66,217
Drives: 1997 Volvo 850

so when you say just take the top off the airbox, its the airbox with the air filter inside it, with a big label that says TURBO on the box correct? wouldn't that interfere with performance things?

QuoteReply
Dert850
post Dec 20 2009, 10:33 AM
Post #10

eric that is the airbox. it will not negatively effect performance. it will give your motor a bit more air flow and less restriction. it will make the sound of the turbo spooling and blowing off much more noticable. as far as positively effecting performance, it wont do much, if anything

QuoteReply
binahnaphtali
post Dec 24 2009, 01:18 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 64,383
Drives: 1995 850 Turbo

Those aftermarket BOVs seem very loud.

Can anyone tell me this, if you have an automatic does it work the same. Something in my past says to me that if your running an automatic trans the Blow off valve release will not give that large release sound....something to do with shifting (when you push down the clutch).?

I need a refresher course.

QuoteReply
TheGreekMason
post Dec 25 2009, 09:25 PM
Post #12

Expert Veteran
Group Icon

Group: Super Mod
Member No.: 31,123

answer to dert, you are wrong sir. the airbox is there to create the pressure to force air into the engine. without it, and with no stream of air to get in, there will be a negative effect in power. if you look at all the modded vehicles with cone filters, it is usually in an open area with easy access to air that will be forced into the engine while it is running. think of a blower on top of a dragster, if you took off the bug catcher, the scoop on top, it wouldn't pull in air, it is facing up. the scoop faces forward. well, the scoop if the airbox. now, if you do get the cone filter, shift the battery over, run a heat shield, and a breather hose to the radiator, now you have a ram air effect that will give this cone filter a better chance to give you a perfomance boost. otherwise, keep the airbox and get the airbox k&n filter, same filter, just in a box. look at all the modded 850s, they all have the same shield. and as for bina, no the bov works with the pressure from the turbo, 12 psi, is 12 psi, auto or manual. how fast it spools is a different story. maybe that is what you were thinking of

QuoteReply
Aussie_850R
post Dec 29 2009, 01:46 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 66,711
Drives: 1996 Volvo 850R (Manual)

QUOTE (binahnaphtali @ Dec 24 2009, 02:18 PM)
Can anyone tell me this, if you have an automatic does it work the same. Something in my past says to me that if your running an automatic trans the Blow off valve release will not give that large release sound....something to do with shifting (when you push down the clutch).?

You're correct.
With a manual gearbox, when you back off the throttle and the turbo is heavily pressurised, you get the BOV dumping that pressure atmospherically.
With an auto, you don't really release the throttle during gear changes. To hear to BOV whoosh, you would need to back off the throttle. It's not clutch but throttle related.
If your car is stock, it will have a plumback BOV, which makes a lot less noise.
Here in Australia, atmospheric BOV's are illegal due to "noise pollution".

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest Volvo 850 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Valve Timing
intake & exhaust valve timing set up for cam gear
3 Eddie G 698 3rd August 2011 - 09:52 AM
Last post by: IceBrick
No New Posts Valve Body
2 Stranger 627 2nd January 2011 - 10:06 AM
Last post by: Stranger
No New Posts Valve Cover Gasket Replacement
0 LSGarage 339 24th December 2010 - 12:39 PM
Last post by: LSGarage
No New Posts Valve Adjustment.
1 twofeathers 1,860 18th February 2010 - 07:29 AM
Last post by: vjck_uk
No New Posts Valve Body
problem with a\t gear
0 dror t5 377 24th October 2009 - 04:03 AM
Last post by: dror t5

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 30th September 2014 - 05:20 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement