Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Evaperator Replacement Instructions
Tech
post Jun 2 2005, 08:33 PM
Post #1

Volvo Guru !

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,295
Drives: Mustang,1995 Yellow T5-R,1996 850 Trubo

Evaperator Replacement:
First thing you have to do is disconnect the battery.
Next you will need to remove all the freon.
Next start off by removing the wiper arms.There is a 13mm nut per arm.You may need to remove a black cover to get to the nut.
Then remove the 4 Torxes 25 screws holding the plastic cover under the the wiper arms.You will have to also remove the 2 clamps holding the rubber hoses to the plastic cover.Lift up on the front of the cover then slide it towards the front of the car to remove it.
Then under there is Either 4 torxes 30 screws or 10mm screws that hold the dash to the body of the car.Be very careful removing and tightening the screws for the dash.The dash tabs could break and then will need to be repaired or the dash will need to be replaced.Also just pull up on the pollen filter case if it has one.If not just remove the ring that is there.

Next remove the 2 heater core line that go into the firewall.Push the plastic clips on both sides of the hose in then pull on the hose to remove.
Then remove the 2 T-15 or t-20 screws going through the metal cover on the heater core where you just removed the 2 hoses from.

Next remove the A/C lines from the evaperator on the outside of the car.But before you do that remove the allen screw that holds the metal line to the body of the car behind the headlight on the right side of the car.It is towards the front of the car on the other side of the freon port.Then when you remove the A/C lines they should be able to slide since you removed the allen screw.

That should be all for under the hood for now.

Going to the inside of the car you will need:T-25 socket or bit with a screwdriver,A long T-30 socket,18mm socket with extension and ratchet,wire cutters,T-15,T-20,10mm ,12mm,13mm,1/4 drive socket.

First start off by removing the center console.If it is a 850 remove the front cubby by reoving the 2 T-25 screws then under the cover is 2 T-15 screws remove them.Unplug the black and grey plugs in the hole by the 2 T-15 screws.Then lift up the armrest and remove the black cover and remove the 2 8mm or 10mm screws.The early 850's may have T-25 screws.

The S70 remove the shifter boot cover bye pulling it towards the drivers seat with the arm rest up.Then remove the cover in the cover under the arm rest.Remove the 2 screws in there.
Unplug the 2 plugs behind the cover for the E-brake.Lift the back of the center console up first and work it out.

Next remove the radio by pushing in the little tabs on the side of the radio then they will pop out and then pull them to release the tabs all the way.Remove and unplug the radio.

The next step will depend whether you have ECC (Electronic climate control)or MCC(manual climate control)
If you have ecc then you car reach through the hole for the radio and push the climate control module from the back.Be careful put a rag on your arm.Sometimes it is stubborn and when it releases it will cut your arm.

If you have MCC then remove all 3 of the control knobs.Then under the 2 outer knobs is 2 T-25 screws.Remove them then push the outside cover out from the back and unplug the wiring.On the sides you will see one Phillips screw on each side remove them.You are done here for now.

Next remove the air bag from the steering wheel.Turn the steering wheel so that the top is to one side.There is a hole in the back of the steering wheel.Insert a long T-30 and remove the screws for the airbag.Always remove and tighten the right side screw for the air bag first.If not then the horn might not work.
Next take the little T-20 screw stored in the steering wheel.That will get screwed into the hole on top of where the bolt for the steering wheel is.It will hold the Contact reel from unrolling.
Note: Break the bolt for the steering wheel loose before installing the small screw.
Remove the bolt holding the steering wheel in.It is a 18mm head bolt.Then lift the steering wheel off.

Next remove the steering column covers.On the S70 pull up on the top one and remove it.Then loosen and remove the T-25 screws in the bottom cover.The screws go from the bottom going up.
The 850 you will have to remove 2 T-15 screws in the front part of the cover.You will need it to be long to reach the screws.That will remove the top cover.Note be careful removing the T-15 screws.Hold down on the top cover while removing then or the tabs might break off the top cover.
Then remove the 2 T-25 screws and remove the lower cover.

Next remove the turn signal switch and the wiper switch.They are held on by 2 T-25 screws each.Next remove the SRS contact reel.Note:Be very careful the plastic is very brittle.
There is 3 screws total holding it in.Then unplug it and remove it all the way.

Next remove the lower dash panel on the left side of the car.Then look up under the dash and you should see a long red plug.It should have a tab to pull to release it.Pull it and release it.That is the main plug for the dash.
Next on the 850 you will have to remove the metal knee bolsters.There is 13mm nuts holding it in.Note:Or you can wait till you remove the dash.It is easier to remove them once the dash is out.
Pull back the cover at the bottom of the dash by the door.The sill cover that runs all the way back.Pull it off by the dash.You will see a screw holding the bottom of the dash.remove the 10mm screw.

Then go to the other side and remove the glove box assembly.Remove the T-25 screws folding it in.On the 850's unhook the glove box support arms by inserting a small screw driver in the hole.Then remove the insert.Next remove the lower dash cover on that side as well.
Also unplug the passenger side Air bag.You will see the plug.Look for an orange wrapped wire and follow to the plug.Then pull back on the sill cover again and remove the 10mm screw on that side as well.

The dash should be ready to come out.Make sure you have someone help you remove it.
You will need to leave the key out of the ignition.To get the car out of park.Look on the right side of the shifter.There is a soleniod you will need to push the soleniod back and push the button on the shifter and pull out of part.
Remove the dash.If it is turbo you will also have to unplug the line for the boost guage if the car has one.Also be careful some cars have an extra plug you will have to unplug while removing the dash.Watch while removing.

Set the dash off to the side in a safe place.

Once the dash is out of the way then remove the knee bolsters if you chose to leave them till the dash was out.

Then pull and remove the 2 black air pipes that go to the white A/C box.Then remove the wiring for the blower motor,resistor and maybe the relay if you have one.Also unlock the plastic guide holding the wiring to the case.
Cut the wire ties where the wires go across the front of the case.Let them hang for now.

On the 98 S70 and the 850 look over by the gas pedal and you will see a diaphram and a rod for the cruise contol.Undo the rod from the gas pedal.
Then remove the 4 12mm bolts holding the case to the body of the car.Lift up on the case a little then pull it towards you.
Note:On the 99 and 2000 S70 you will have to remove the gas pedal and the pedal mount from the body of the car.That will allow room for the heater core lines to pull back from the firewall.

When the case is loose pull it out some and turn the box towards the seat.Then you will see the recirc door motor located on the top of the box.Remove it by removing the 3 T-15 screws.
Then remove the rest of the T-15 screws around the smaller part of the box by where the motor was attached.There is 2 clips on the back of the box that have to come off and 1 clip under where the recirc motor was.

Once all the screws are out you can remove the upper part of the cover over the Evaperator.
Replace the evaperator.Make sure you transfer the rubber seal from the pipes to the new one.

Install the cover and everything else.When you stick the box back in make sure the heater core connection and the A/C drain are back where they belong.If the drain is not connected it will leak water into the car and flood the floor board.

ALSO leave the plastic cover on the evap pipes while installing the box back in where it belongs.Also spray some lube on the rubber grommet where the pipes go through.It will make it easier to go in.

Put everything back together in reverse order.

Once everything else in the car is together then if you decide replace the dryer.
Then connect all the pipes and put the system on Vaccum for about 1HR.

Then charge the system.

I think that is everything.I migth have forgotten some small things.
If any quiestions feel free to ask.

Sorry I don't have any pictures if I find any I will put them in the post.

Hope this helps!!!!

Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
ampangbear
post Jun 2 2005, 10:16 PM
Post #2

Expert Veteran
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3,464
Drives: 1996 Volvo 855 T5 FWD, 1989 Honda Civic 2-Door FWD

WOW! :blink:

These are all alot of work. Well, whether or not it is DIY-able, will certainly depend on the ability and equipment capability of the doer.

Wondering, how long would the whole process take? 4 hours?
:blush:

QuoteReply
Tech
post Jun 2 2005, 11:21 PM
Post #3

Volvo Guru !

The dealer pays 10.5 hours to do.
If you know what you are doing you can have it done in like 3 to 4 hours.

QuoteReply
ampangbear
post Jun 3 2005, 01:01 AM
Post #4

Expert Veteran
Group Icon

10.5 hours?
Safe to say its a one-day job, huh? :huh:

Definitely make sense to learn to DIY.
:unsure:

QuoteReply
Tech
post Jun 3 2005, 09:19 AM
Post #5

Volvo Guru !

Yes it does make sense to learn how to do it. :D

QuoteReply
denkweb
post Aug 7 2005, 01:48 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 6,680
Drives: Volvo 850 Tdi Sedan 1996

If you have not got a clue how to do this, just don't.

Have some images of these jobs :banana:

B)
Attached File(s)
Attached File  verdamper.jpg ( 10.63K ) Number of downloads: 804
Attached File  1725038.volvotje.jpg ( 92.46K ) Number of downloads: 832

QuoteReply
ampangbear
post Aug 9 2005, 12:10 AM
Post #7

Expert Veteran
Group Icon

Thanks for the pics, denkweb!

Sure looks scarry!
:P

QuoteReply
denkweb
post Aug 10 2005, 01:56 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 6,680
Drives: Volvo 850 Tdi Sedan 1996

You just need to be a little suicidal to your car :gunsmilie: :devil:

QuoteReply
keybuster
post Aug 26 2005, 08:42 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 7,164
Drives: 95 - 850 / 98 - V70

hey guys i am going to attempt the evap. replacement on labor day, i figure that i could use the extra day. Are there any sugestions, i am a locksmith at a, famous for basketball, southern new england university, previous to this 18 years in this field i was a motorcycle mech. I feel that i can replace the evap. but i dont know how to clear and recharge the system afterwords. any tips or links would be greatly appreciated!!!! :liebe011: :liebe011: :liebe011:

QuoteReply
Tech
post Aug 26 2005, 09:03 PM
Post #10

Volvo Guru !

When you are done you need to Vaccum the system for atleast 30 minutes or an hour.Then you will need to put a little over 1.5 LBS back in the system.
The system holds exactly 1.63 LBS

If you need anymore help while doing it post and we will help you.

QuoteReply
keybuster
post Sep 3 2005, 11:22 AM
Post #11

Hey guys, i have started my evap replacement, things are going smoothly but i am unsure of how to remove the airbag wireing, i have the airbag unbolted but i am a little cautious to just tug on it, any sugestions? thanx ,keybuster :unsure:

QuoteReply
Tech
post Sep 3 2005, 11:28 AM
Post #12

Volvo Guru !

Which air bag are you talking about?

QuoteReply
keybuster
post Sep 3 2005, 11:43 AM
Post #13

drivers side

QuoteReply
Tech
post Sep 3 2005, 11:58 AM
Post #14

Volvo Guru !

There should be little clips on each side of the plug to push in to allow you to pull the plug out.

QuoteReply
keybuster
post Sep 3 2005, 12:12 PM
Post #15

i dont see anythin that looks like a squeezable or depresable clip. the flat airbag wire goes to a white flat plastic piece about 1/2" wide and 1" long which is about 1/8" thick. this white piece makes a 90 degree bend into backside of airbag unit. Does the plastic conector pull out of airbag or does the wire seperate from conector?

QuoteReply
keybuster
post Sep 3 2005, 12:24 PM
Post #16

i just figured it out. the plastic connector just pulls staight out of airbag. I remembered that i have some pictures from another site and one of them has a clear picture of the plug. just to let you know of my concern of the airbag blowing off in my face - i wore my motorcycle helmet - face shield down while working with it :rolleyes: Thanks again

QuoteReply
keybuster
post Sep 3 2005, 03:22 PM
Post #17

well it is completely apart, and evap is out. now i need to figure out how to bend the replacement evap line to match the angles of the original one. i made a rough template of orig. evap on a piece of cardboard. tomorrow i will check with electricans and plumbers at the school where i work and see if they have a tubing bender to use so as to avoid any stress on any of the welded joints. if anyone has other solutions they would be welcomed. keybuster

QuoteReply
Tech
post Sep 3 2005, 04:20 PM
Post #18

Volvo Guru !

They should be at a very close angle to the old one unless you bought a cheap aftermarket setup.If it is pretty close put it together and then bend them when you are installing the lines again.

QuoteReply
keybuster
post Sep 5 2005, 03:46 PM
Post #19

what should be used for a lubricant on the contact ring under the steering wheel. it was caked with a very hardened substance that i cleaned off, but i dont know what to re-lubricate it with? What should the dashboard torx bolts be tourqued to? these are the four that come through from the engine compartment into back of dash. Thanks, keybuster

QuoteReply
Tech
post Sep 5 2005, 07:07 PM
Post #20

Volvo Guru !

For the lubricant use dielectric grease.

Im not 100% sure of the torque specs but to be safe I do them just a little over hand tight with a 1/4 inch ratchet.If you overtighten them you will crack the dash mountings and then the dash will be loose.

Then if you want to replace it will cost between $1,200 and $2,000.

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest Volvo 850 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Replacement Key
7 Carolina Girl 15,016 30th January 2016 - 12:46 AM
Last post by: derekbrian
No New Posts Replacement Tires ?
Looking for new tires
3 supero 1,813 14th September 2015 - 09:22 PM
Last post by: tekbis
No New Posts Replacement Of Part Under Rear Door
Little fender at the gas station - need new part!
0 Alex79 686 27th December 2012 - 12:04 AM
Last post by: Alex79
No New Posts Replacement Carpet For 850 Wagon
0 hunamongyou 980 6th November 2012 - 12:51 PM
Last post by: hunamongyou
No New Posts Replacement Of 2002 S40 Intermediate Steering Column?
Stop steering wheel play
0 mcrg00 1,110 30th July 2012 - 11:05 AM
Last post by: mcrg00

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 26th April 2017 - 04:46 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.

Privacy Statement