Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Replacing Etm, Save a little $$
S70S5
post Jul 29 2009, 07:43 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 60,159
Drives: 1998 S70, 1999 S70 AWD

With many 99 Volvos approaching the end of their "extended warranty" I felt this was appropriate.

First, a cautionary tale:

DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE!!!

A few months ago my girlfriend's car was hit by a drunk driver.It could have been a lot worse but luckily, there were no kids about and she was not in the car at the time! She had, however, just payed some bills, checked the bank account, and was, litterally, saying to herself, "I think everything is going to be OK" la la la.

Then BAM! down on the street it was all unraveling.

The police report reads like a version of a Saturady morning cartoon "Family Circus". The guy drove over the yard and literally careened off of a half a dozen cars as he attempted to flee down the road. It was pretty rough. But this guy's life must be pretty rough. I mean, who drinks that much by 6pm on a Monday night?

Aside from the court proceedings, dealing with insurance, and thanking the hepful neighbors who witnessed the incident, we were still OK. Of course, we still needed a new car. I took it as my personal mission to get her into a new Volvo! Then we could be Volvo buddies!

The chase:

Her new car is a 1999 S70 AWD with all the fixn's. With 150,000 it had some issues: PCV system, E Brakes, tires, AC recharge, tan interior (dirty) and she immediately set about loving it back to health. I was so proud. She spent a lot of time cleaning that tan leather. But it also had this funny hunting idle thing? Huh? Hopeful as ever, I told her it was something simple. Ha!

After addressing the other issues, last weekend I pulled off the intake manifold to attend to the PCV. Having, by then learned about the dreaded ETM issue I thought I would also give the throttle a thorough cleaning. I got some carb cleaner and scrubbed the dickens out of it. It looked beautiful. But, I wasn't content with that. I wanted to really clean the resistor area, the area under the end caps, with some MAF cleaner.

DANGER!!! DO NOT REMOVE THE END CAPS OF YOUR ETM!!! THIS WILL BREAK YOUR ETM!!!

And that's just what I did. Though all the parts eventually went back where they belonged. Yea! PCV was fixed! Yea! Inga (the car) she would bearly start! ETS light was on. Engine light on. and the car kept telling me that it wanted to discuss a problem it was having with the throttle position sensor.

Again, word to the wise. DO NOT REMOVE THE END CAPS OF YOUR ETM!!!

The scoop:

Columbus, OH - You can do this ETM yourself! First, disconnect the battery. Then remove the intake hose going from top of the intercooler and going into the ETM and set aside. Then, remove the fan, which is held inplace by four screws. You'll only need to remove the top two and you can just loosen the bottom two using #20 hex bits. Losening the bottom two requires removing the air dam under the bumper (two easily accessable bolts). Unplug the fan and pull up and out. Once you have done this you have room to remove the ETM. There are only four 10mm bolts that hold the ETM to the underside of the manifold. They are equidistant from eachother and located radially around the flange where the intake hose from the intercooler meets the ETM. Then unplug and remove the ETM and the old gasket.

(caveat: If you have a white tag on your ETM you will have to remove the starter bracket to remover the ETM plug which was routed originally behind the starter. Another 30 min)

Now, the part is not cheap. FCP, which has the best deal you'll probably find is selling them for $575.00. And, you will need a software download to integrate the new module into the system. Not every shop can do this but here in Columbus I have foud two viable options. I am not endorsing anyone but European Autoworks (indy shop) will do the software install for $170.00. And , surprise! MAG (Midwestern Auto Group) the dealer will do it for $120.00.

I have decided to save another $50.00 and go with MAG. They even said I could do the removal in their lot! I am ordering the part now and I will post later to update as to the integrity of this service. I anticipate that, with a coupon for FCP that I have, I will be in the neighborhood of about $675.00 and a hour or so of work for the whole job.

I sincerly hope that this inspires others who are in a similar situation to try to do it themselves and save some $$. Remember, no one ever said, "To boldly go pay someone else to do it for you".
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
MKC70
post Jul 30 2009, 12:07 PM
Post #2

Expert

Member No.: 23,913
Drives: 1999 Volvo C70 coupe

Have you considered the XeMODeX replacement ETM? It is 599$ shipped with I believe no programming necessary. Nice write up.

QuoteReply
S70S5
post Jul 30 2009, 06:53 PM
Post #3

QUOTE (MKC70 @ Jul 30 2009, 01:07 PM)
Have you considered the XeMODeX replacement ETM? It is 599$ shipped with I believe no programming necessary. Nice write up.

Thank you!

I hope I am able to contribute a bit; I've been learning so much from everyone here. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grouphug.gif)

I did consider XEMODeX. In fact I was reading an old post where people were invited to discuss how it worked for them and several people replied that it had. But the post just kind of ended '08? Most of the posters seemed to have replied so quickly after they had installed the throttle body and then never posted again. Granted this may very well be b/c it worked but I guess I was hoping someone would post back and say something like, "15,000mi and still going strong!", or something like that.

Really I decided not to try XeMODeX b/c in looking at their website I saw that not all modules are repairable, specifically original ones like what I have. So, I envisioned this scenario in which I send out the module out ($80.00), then they tell me I need a new core b/c mine doesn't work ($100.00 - just a guess on price), then I get it back and I still have to have the software upload. Granted for the extra $200.00 or whatever I may never have to replace it again. But, and this is ultimately why I'm not going with them, while I'm not 100% sure about price or weather they can mod an original part or not, I am 99.9% sure that I totally screwed my module up beyond what they offer.

And, once the girlfriend is happily zipping about town in her new ride I plan to take the other module apart entirely. I have a crazy idea about repairing the resistor strip. I don't expect that it will work though (at least not anytime soon) so I'd rather just get her up and running so I can take my time with the other repair.

****OH, AND**** with the 10% off coupon FCP offers to all Volvo Forum members and b/c there's no tax, and no shipping fee on orders over $200, I only paid like $515.00 for the part which, not to sound like a hopeless optomist, is pretty good I guess.

I just hope this one lasts as long as the old one.

QuoteReply
S70S5
post Aug 7 2009, 02:13 PM
Post #4

Well, here's the update.

I got the part on Monday. On Wednesday I drove the girlfriend's car to work in limp mode. It's a lot closer to the dealer. Funny thing is no one else on the road noticed! I actually passed a woman in a VW a couple of times. But that's how it goes in the morning sometimes.

Anyway, I called the service dept head, reminded him about my problem, and told him I'd drive it over around 1pm. Having removed the ETM twice by then I was prepared to do the job. I disconected the battery, pulled the tools and the part out of the trunk, did the job, and rolled the car to the service entrance. According to the service tech, I probably could have driven the car in limp mode with the new module in place but I didn't want to mess up a $500.00 part so I did it my way. Either way, it only took 35min to remove and replace the module. I actually waited around for a tech longer than it took to actually do any of the work. The tech hooked me up to the computer and installed the ETM software in about 15 min (wish I could do that myself). I did ask the tech if it would be OK to mention his service in my post. The tech said (of course) that they would prefer that they to do the install but that it would be fine. For the thrifty Volvo community I say, "Ask, and ye shall receive". Frankly, that had to have been the easiest job they did all day. Profit to work ratio has got to be like 5:1.

Anyway, $137.00 and 20min later I was out of there. The car ran great, responsive, solid, better than before. I washed it, waxed it, and handed her the keys. Thus concludes another chapter in the continuing saga of "The Cheap and the Restless".

QuoteReply
Mossback
post Aug 13 2009, 08:43 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 60,797
Drives: 1999 Volvo s70 GLT

Thanks for the info! I have been wondering about the software update cost, and I am in Cols.! It's good to know that MAG took care of you. When the time comes, I may go for the Xemodex option, though. Any chance I have to save a trip to the "land of empty wallets" I take (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I am getting a slight hunt at idle, though it isn't really bad enough for replacement yet. I lucked out a little in that most of the miles (249,000) on my 99 S70 are highway, so the overall sensor isn't totally hosed yet.

I was a little jealous of my wife's car (1998 V70 XC) for not having the ETM, but then I found a big puddle of oil under her car this morning so...

QuoteReply
Froffridsnish
post Jan 22 2012, 01:56 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 102,652
Drives: Gibraltar

The authoritative point of view

QuoteReply
Froffridsnish
post Jan 27 2012, 06:03 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 102,652
Drives: Gibraltar

Your are blocked

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest 1G (1998-2000) S70, V70 & V70XC Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsReplacing Fuel Pump
3 S60blow it up 2,699 28th March 2014 - 05:50 PM
Last post by: Vermont
No New Posts Replacing Tailgate Latch
2 deadfan50 434 17th February 2014 - 09:59 AM
Last post by: gobies
No New Posts Replacing A Dem Module From 2004 Xc70
replacing a DEM module from 2004 xc70
0 amacbabe 878 30th September 2013 - 10:12 PM
Last post by: amacbabe
No New Posts Replacing Starter In 1989 Volvo 780
1 garbage914 963 3rd July 2013 - 10:24 PM
Last post by: tobias
No New Posts Replacing Failed Motor Mount
0 RBH 405 28th June 2013 - 12:18 AM
Last post by: RBH

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 25th October 2014 - 08:49 PM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement