Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> 89 240, Replaced Maf Sensor, Same Symptoms...
krakradio
post Mar 3 2009, 03:29 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 53,147
Drives: 1983 Volvo 240

After looking around this forum for similar issues, I replaced the Mass Air Flow sensor (AKA Air Mass Meter?) this morning in my '89 240 in hopes that it would solve an idling problem:

Summary:
1) After 30 seconds of warming up, will barely idle by itself (stutters, surges, stutters, surges, etc.). However, if given enough gas, will run smoothly.
2) Subsequent starts will catch, but immediately dies if not given gas.
3) If I disconnect the MAF/AMM sensor, it idles perfectly smooth and slow, and also runs smooth if given gas. (Attempts to press the gas pedal a little too quickly will cause it to die, but I am assuming it's a side-effect of disconnecting the MAF sensor?).

I replaced the MAF sensor this morning with a new one, and it gives the exact same results as with the old MAF sensor. The Check-Engine-Light was not on previously (until I disconnected the MAF sensor earlier as a test... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif) )

Am I correct to assume that the idle-control valve, fuel injector seals, and intake manifold gasket are probably okay since it runs very smooth with a disconnected MAF sensor?

Based on my research on these forums, my next step is to check the air intake hose for leaks, and maybe the throttle body gasket as well (can I spray WD40 on it and listen for a change?). Is this the correct next plan of attack?

Thanks! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Evan
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
robert240
post Mar 3 2009, 05:56 PM
Post #2

Veteran

Member No.: 30,857
Drives: 86 240

Disconnect the battery, install the new AMM, reconnect battery and see how it runs. If it still runs rough then check for ignition and fuel trouble codes.

see the LH2.4 section here:
http://www.brickboard.com/FAQ/700-900/EngineOBDCodes.htm

pulling the battery erases the ECU's memory.

QuoteReply
krakradio
post Mar 3 2009, 11:42 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 53,147
Drives: 1983 Volvo 240

I disconnected the battery, waited a couple of minutes, reconnected and restarted (with the new AMM installed), and it seemed to run nicely for about 5 minutes. Then it returned to a very rough idle (as before, stutter/surge/stutter/etc.).

I checked the codes and received 3-2-2: Air Mass Meter wire burn-off signal absent or faulty. No other codes were received.

Is it possible that the new AMM is also faulty, or the wiring is faulty? Should I install the old AMM and do the same test?

Thanks again!

QuoteReply
robert240
post Mar 4 2009, 12:14 PM
Post #4

Veteran

Member No.: 30,857
Drives: 86 240

Running the same test on the old AMM won't hurt, just disconnect the battery each time. Is the new unit actually "new"? Does the BOSCH part number end with -016?

Do you have a voltmeter? The next steps will be to measure the output of the unit, it's supply voltage, and the burn-off wire voltage ....

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest Volvo 240, 242, 244 & 245 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts 240 Sun Visor Clips
0 86volvoguy 25 28th October 2014 - 06:27 PM
Last post by: 86volvoguy
No New Posts Topic has attachments240 Wagon Just Purchased - Wheel Upgrade?
New Member Intro
3 wiffies 940 9th March 2014 - 01:39 PM
Last post by: vlvwagon
No New Posts 240 Wagon Cargo Cover
15 deadfan50 5,373 30th December 2013 - 05:54 PM
Last post by: vlvwagon
No New Posts Topic has attachments240 Fuel Pump / Economy Issue
8 langmead 895 8th December 2013 - 05:02 PM
Last post by: NorcalBrick
No New Posts 240 Temperature Gauge In The Red!
1 sonny's240 734 29th October 2013 - 07:13 PM
Last post by: danielm85948

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 1st November 2014 - 01:47 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement