Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> California Smog Exempt Volvo Models
Ernesto
post Feb 20 2009, 04:23 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 48,394
Drives: 1997 Volvo 950 GLT

Hello,

This should be posted to all of the Forums of the models affected.
Any moderator, or anyone else who knows how can do it from the info I'll post below.

Certain Volvo models OBD II's can not be read by the State's Smog Computers !
That completely eliminated me having to reset the "Readiness Codes" after a tune up,
which is a VERY long and specifically involved process that one would do, for no reason.
Smog Test equipment can't read it, even if you do have the Readiness Codes reset.

Anyone having trouble with their smog techinician, go to the State's URL
and download Appendix J. Show it to your smog tech. Here's the site to download it-
www.smogcheck.ca.gov/80_BARResources/ftp/pdfdocs/APPENDIX_J.pdf

I downloaded from the above web site, printed it out, and took it to the Smog Technician.
He had turned me away a few days before. I had disconnected the battery, wiping out the
memory of the OBD II. He told me I had to reset the Readiness Codes. That involves a lot
of driving, in a specific pattern, set out b the Volvo Company. It's a hassle, and after
it's set, the Smog Machine can't read it, so on to the next step, an actual smog test.
I passed with flying colors. I wish all of you the same kind of outcome.

Here's the information that's relevant to Volvo owners-
APPENDIX J Smog Check OBD II Reference (Testability Issues) 1 Rev 7 (1/2007)Appendix J provides information and test instructions about known OBD II functional test difficulties.

Technicians must familiarize themselves with the information contained in this Appendix and follow the specified test instructions when conducting a Smog Check inspection on any vehicle listed. Please watch for Appendix J updates on the Smog Check website or via ET Blasts. If other problems or solutions arise concerning the testing of OBD II vehicles, BAR will provide updated information advising technicians how to test the affected vehicles.
• Table 1 - 1a lists known OBD II testability issues.
• Table 2 lists CAN equipped vehicles that currently cannot be OBD II tested. The EIS should automatically bypass the OBD II test for CAN equipped vehicles. However, if the EIS prompts for an OBD II test, bypass the test by answering “No” to the OBD II functional test prompt. Unless otherwise instructed by BAR, do not answer “No” to bypass the OBD II functional test for any other OBD II equipped vehicles. In addition to the vehicles listed in Table 2, all vehicles one model-year old and newer are excepted from the OBD II functional test. With each new calendar year, the exceptions change accordingly. For example: In 2007, all 2006 model-year and newer vehicles are excepted from the OBD II functional test. In 2008, the 2006 model-year vehicles are subject to the OBD II test and the exceptions change to 2007 model-year and newer. Note: Once the BAR-97 EIS incorporates CAN communication protocol, these vehicles will become testable. To ensure that any special test processes are appropriately applied, always select vehicle information (make, model, engine size, etc.) from the BAR-97 inspection menus.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Smog Check Inspection Manual Appendix J 4 Rev 7 (1/2007)TABLE 1a
The EIS Ignores Monitor Readiness StatusMake Model Year Model DISP Action
Volvo 1996-97 960 2.5, 2.9 Complete Inspection as prompted by the EIS.
Volvo1996-97 850, 850R, 850Turbo 2.3, 2.4 (the 2.4 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif) includes 1997 Volvo 850 GLT)
Complete Inspection as prompted by EIS.
Volvo1998 C70, S70, V70, S90, V90 2.3, 2.4, 2.9
Complete Inspection as prompted by the EIS.End Table 1a
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Smog Check Inspection Manual Appendix J 5 Rev 7 (1/2007)TABLE 2 – Vehicles Currently Not OBD II TestableThe following vehicles use an OBD II protocol, known as Controller Area Network (CAN), that will not currently communicate with the EIS. Once the BAR-97 EIS incorporates CAN communication protocol, these vehicles will become testable and this table will be removed from Appendix J. Model Year Make Model Issue

2004 Volvo 2.4L S40, 2.5L S40 Uses CAN, currently incompatible with EIS.

P
Smog Check Inspection Manual Appendix J 6 Rev 7 (1/2007)Model Year Make Model Issue-
2005 Volvo S40, V50, S60, V70, S80, XC90 Uses CAN, currently incompatible with EIS.

Smog Check Inspection Manual Appendix J 7 Rev 7 (1/2007)Model Year Make Model Issue-
2006 Volvo C70, S40, S60, S80, V50, V70, XC70, XC90Uses CAN,currently incompatible with EIS.
2007 Volvo C70, S40, S60, S80, V50, V70, XC70, XC90Uses CAN, currently incompatible with EIS.

Thank you all for being here and participating, at whatever level.
Much obliged to all of the various forum moderators.

Good Luck!

Ernesto F.

Currently driving -
1997 850 GLT Wagon
came with their firts
Low Pressure Turbo -
9-10 lbs boost that
kicks in at 1800 RPM

Former Cars
1988 240 DL Sedan
1987 240 DL Wagon
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest General Volvo Non-Model Specific Discussion Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Volvo V 50 Se Sport D (e4)?
0 bemshawn 26 Yesterday, 02:35 AM
Last post by: bemshawn
No New Posts Volvo 740 Stalling/power Loss Issue?
1 bemshawn 141 5th December 2014 - 04:40 AM
Last post by: highvoltj
No New Posts Volvo 240 Sputtering, Stalling, And Not Starting Well
Volvo 240 Sputtering, Stalling, and Not Starting Well
0 raven+crow 164 3rd December 2014 - 12:38 PM
Last post by: raven+crow
No New Posts Volvo S40 2005 (diesel) P2584 Code Error?
0 bemshawn 71 1st December 2014 - 02:43 AM
Last post by: bemshawn
No New Posts Volvo 960 Auto Not Starting...?
1 bemshawn 140 24th November 2014 - 05:09 AM
Last post by: danielm85948

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 18th December 2014 - 08:26 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement