Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> S60 Brake Fluid Flush, Using the Motive Power Bleeder
Doogwhan
post Feb 16 2009, 11:27 PM
Post #1

Expert

Group: Members
Member No.: 44,246
Drives: 2004 S60R, 1992 Volvo 245, 2003 VW Jetta TDI (The Bride's)

Ok guys- this is half my experience, and half a product review, so bear with me. The R is up to 55K miles, and the brake pedal feels slightly mushy since I got her back from the dealership. So time for a brake fluid flush with my schmancy new Motive Power Bleeder.
Attached File  bleeder_on_engine.jpg ( 117.46K ) Number of downloads: 68

First, securely place you baby on jack stands, and remove the wheels.
Attached File  R_on_stands.jpg ( 135.79K ) Number of downloads: 54

Then remove the cap to the master cylinder, and attach the bleeder. give it ten or so PSI, and check for leaks.
Attached File  Bleeder_connected.jpg ( 201.48K ) Number of downloads: 57

Next, if everything is airtight, release the pressure gently, and add whatever brake fluid you will be using. reattach, and pressurize the system to about 15 PSI. Fluid will travel from the tank into the master cylinder. You will have air gaps in the line... don't panic, the reservoir will not usually go dry, as the fluid moves between the two.
Attached File  Bleeder_close.jpg ( 168.26K ) Number of downloads: 53

Now move to the wheel farthest from the master cylinder and get ready to bleed!
Attached File  rear_setup.jpg ( 160.37K ) Number of downloads: 85

crack open the nut, and the air pressure forces the old fluid, any debris, and any air out of the system. Here is a comparison of the old vs. new fluid coming from my right rear caliper:
Attached File  old_fluid.jpg ( 136.75K ) Number of downloads: 55
Attached File  new_fluid.jpg ( 124.05K ) Number of downloads: 55

Keep draining until you get clean fluid, and then repeat for each caliper. Don't forget to add fluid if the tank runs low.

A shot of how nasty the used fluid was:
Attached File  waste_fluid.jpg ( 119.81K ) Number of downloads: 53

A shot of a brake caliper large enough to be used as a murder weapon:
Attached File  Ca_iper_glamour_shot.jpg ( 224.07K ) Number of downloads: 60

All told, it was a 40 minute job, going at a VERY slow pace. (while taking pictures) In my limited opinion, this device beats the holy snot out of the two-person *pump pump* HOLD technique I grew up with, and is still way better than the handheld vacuum pumps. Worth the $65 I shelled out for it, (considering that the dealership wanted $90 to do it) especially since it works on the R, the 245, the Brides Jetta, and my Bus (with the extra adapter I bought)

thanks for reading, I hope it helps someone!!! If I included any errors, I'll be happy to edit.
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
S60 R
post Feb 17 2009, 04:09 PM
Post #2

Expert Veteran
Group Icon

Group: Super Mod
Member No.: 4,684
Drives: formerly 2005 S60R

Oh, the thought of those beautiful calipers being drowned is enough to make me cry. Sorry, first thought that came to mind...

Anyway, thanks for the tip. I think I'll get one of those bleeders if it was that easy.

QuoteReply
Doogwhan
post Feb 17 2009, 04:28 PM
Post #3

Expert

Group: Members
Member No.: 44,246
Drives: 2004 S60R, 1992 Volvo 245, 2003 VW Jetta TDI (The Bride's)

They had a thorough cleaning don't worry. All the rust you see is just rotor discoloration due the R having sat on the stands for a day (yay humidity). I should have snapped the pictures while the rotors were still shiny.

Mention it as often as you like, I haven't personally lived it down yet. Even worse, the car was in water for a total of three minutes. It seemed like a lifetime until it started again.

It looks so much dirtier in these pics... makes me want to go home, put it back on the stands, and spend a weekend detailing the undercarriage. It makes me wish I actually had the time to do that.

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest 2009 and Below S60 Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No new Topic has attachmentsS60 Am Radio Reception
Bad reception
29 sigsS60 20,393 4th August 2014 - 07:52 PM
Last post by: YesNoMebbeSo
No New Posts Brake Light Socket
Can burn too brightly/Correct Color?
0 claudeworld 253 10th July 2014 - 11:40 PM
Last post by: claudeworld
No New Posts S60 With Heico Bits
12 Arith 5,094 5th July 2014 - 08:19 PM
Last post by: Zangado
No New Posts S60 2005 Rhd Wing Mirror & Cover
0 Shapes 399 6th February 2014 - 01:49 AM
Last post by: Shapes
No New Posts S60 Seat Covers
0 dr.andre 456 17th January 2014 - 01:14 AM
Last post by: dr.andre

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 28th November 2014 - 05:48 PM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement