Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Ticking Noise When Braking, ticking
chef
post Feb 6 2009, 04:22 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 44,235
Drives: 1995 volvo 850

Hi guys, i noticed that then when i'm driving and go to apply the brakes i get this ticking noise coming from the engine area...it starts off quick and slows doing as the car comes to a stop and stops altogether when the car has come to a stop...anyone ever have this problem? thanks
fabs

Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
850T5GOLD
post Feb 8 2009, 06:46 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 43,057
Drives: 1996 Volvo 850 T5 CD AUTO

I had a similar problem from the back of my 850, I got it fixed and it was apparently somthing to do with the brake pads being misalighned or worn. In my case it also caused brake squeel. For you it is probely the front brake pads as it is comming from the front end of the car. Also considering that the ticking slows down as the car (wheel and brake disc) slow down it seems to point to the brakes. You could also see what happens if you start braking listen for the noise and then take your foot of the brakes and see if the noise stops.

QuoteReply
chef
post Feb 8 2009, 07:38 AM
Post #3

850..thanks for replying... yes the ticking does slow down as the car slows down too and if i do take my foot off the pedal it doesn't tick.
Yesterday, just for fun, i took out the fuses for the abs pump and module...the ticking went away and i didn't have the brake pedal grinding i often get when applying the brake..very strange..not sure if it's abs related..thanks
fabs

QuoteReply
850T5GOLD
post Feb 8 2009, 09:21 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 43,057
Drives: 1996 Volvo 850 T5 CD AUTO

You could be right about the ABS. Now I think about it I had my ABS module replaced at the same time as my brake pads so for all i know it could have been the ABS and not the Brake pads at all. Any way i'd get the diagnostics codes read by a garage cause the ABS may have failed and you don't want that. When it comes to the ABS it could be any thing as simple as a dirty sensor or as expensive as a new module and i can tell you from experience a new module is not cheap. If indeed it is the module you may be able to pick up a used one at discount price. Oh and is your ABS light showing on the instrument panel, cause mine was before the new module.

good luck.

QuoteReply
chef
post Feb 8 2009, 10:21 AM
Post #5

Hey, ya a while back i went to see if i have any codes in my obd1 port...these where in there:
2-1-1 no LF wheel signal for moving off
2-1-3 no LR wheel signal for moving off
2-1-4 no right wheel signal for moving off
4-2-4 pressure switch for TRACS faulty or shorted
1-4-2 stop lamp switch faulty

i cleared them and since they they haven't come back..The abs and tracs light come on at startup and go off shortly after. The abs does work and the tracs too.
When i first got the car, it was running well..i then had the rear rotars changed and supposidly the hand brakes changed too. I noticed that after a while there was a slight bluish color on the rotors (Aftermarket). the ticking was always there and after i installed my winter tires the abs was kicking in for no real reason.
fabs

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest Volvo 850 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Noise?
after veh turned off
7 supero 1,254 26th March 2013 - 10:03 AM
Last post by: pfgym5
No New Posts Noise At Acceleration
noise at shift, acceleration, deceleration
3 vbertone 1,590 9th February 2013 - 05:34 PM
Last post by: PugMomFlower
No New Posts When I Apply A Shift My Volvo 244 Dl 1983 Shuts Off
With A Gas. Gentle Touch Or Apply The Shift In Aut.Trans.
1 josue_gamalier 222 6th February 2013 - 05:21 PM
Last post by: danielm85948
No New Posts Noise While Braking And Turning
16 mathewsfam 9,238 12th June 2012 - 08:06 PM
Last post by: Sam Parker
No New Posts When It Well Come S80 3g ?
1 MaZaGAngeE 922 18th January 2012 - 10:00 AM
Last post by: MaZaGAngeE

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 24th April 2014 - 04:16 PM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement