Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> 240 Timing Belt Replacement
ScruffeeBear
post Nov 14 2008, 08:21 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 47,075
Drives: 1988 Volvo 240DL

88' 240 wagon needs timing belt replacement. I'm fairly comfortable working on this car but have never attempted timing belt. Does this require any special tools? And how do I get the timing marks to align before I remove the belt so I won't mess up the timing? Any information would be greatly appreciated!
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
manxman
post Nov 14 2008, 10:37 AM
Post #2

Expert

Member No.: 35,867
Drives: 9/'86 Courier Crew Cab Diesel, '80 Yamaha XT & SR 250's

There are marks on the sprockets-DO look up the correct alignment of them, It may vary across motors. No valve damage to a B230F if you get it wrong. U will need to set the crank, the cam and the distributor, then fit the belt carefully. I found it easiest to fit the cam sprocket last, and just work it over the sprocket, levering the tension roller, pushing and feeding the belt slowly with a LARGE flat bladed screwdriver. Check your tensioner for wear, as it will prob need replacing. Taking all the other belts off is harder than changing the cam belt IMO.

QuoteReply
robert240
post Nov 14 2008, 11:04 AM
Post #3

Veteran

Member No.: 30,857
Drives: 86 240

Both IPD and FCP Groton sell a crank pulley counterhold tool.
http://www.ipdusa.com/product.asp?strParen...chStartRecord=1

QuoteReply
IceBrick
post Nov 14 2008, 07:59 PM
Post #4

Senior

Member No.: 4,514
Drives: 91 240, 98S70

Here is a link with some good pics

Timing Belt Installation

QuoteReply
walrus108
post Nov 14 2008, 10:33 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 50,220
Drives: 1986 Volvo 240

It's very easy to do if you have impacts and know what you're doing. I've got a belt seals job down to 45mins if there's no surprises, but I've done it pleanty.

If you're gonna do the belt, you've got to do the seals too. You'll need to buy or borrow the two different sized seal tools. Doing a belt without doing seals is just stupid. Very cheap and you're already there. Plus any oil will kill your new belt. Use pleanty of carb cleaner to remove the crud from covers, front of the block, and seal valleys, and brake cleaner to clean off the carb cleaner. Take a screwdriver and a shop rag into the seal valleys before putting the new seals in and remove all the gunk. then follow that with a good bath of brake clean. Look everywhere for oil and gunk. Get it very clean everywhere including the pulleys themselves. Also watch for a spun crank pulley. That's fairly common and can be hard to identify if you've never seen one before. If you're an experienced mechanic and can follow directions, you can do it well the first time if you go slow and careful. If not, you're prob better off getting someone experienced to show you how. Problem is, by the time you have to do it again, you'll prob have forgotten.

I'm sure it can maybe be done without a good impact and air (somehow), but it would for sure be a PITA.

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest Volvo 240, 242, 244 & 245 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Timing Belt V40 2003
is this difficult
1 hector1963 155 10th May 2014 - 11:02 PM
Last post by: danielm85948
No New Posts Topic has attachments240 Wagon Just Purchased - Wheel Upgrade?
New Member Intro
3 wiffies 660 9th March 2014 - 01:39 PM
Last post by: vlvwagon
No New Posts Timing Belt Slipping On The Volvo Red Block Engine
engine cuts out after starting
0 danielm85948 513 13th January 2014 - 01:21 PM
Last post by: danielm85948
No New Posts 240 Wagon Cargo Cover
15 deadfan50 5,003 30th December 2013 - 05:54 PM
Last post by: vlvwagon
No New Posts Topic has attachments240 Fuel Pump / Economy Issue
8 langmead 739 8th December 2013 - 05:02 PM
Last post by: NorcalBrick

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 31st July 2014 - 10:43 PM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement